This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1960 (age 59–60)|
In 1983 Bigonzetti joined the Reggio Emilia company Aterballetto, renowned for its contemporary repertory. He first began to choreograph for Aterballetto in 1990. In 1993 he joined Balletto di Toscana as resident choreographer and in 1997 returned to Aterballetto as artistic director.
Throughout his choreographic career Bigonzetti has maintained a close relationship with Aterballetto. He continues there as principal choreographer, although his career now centers on commissions written for major companies abroad. He served as director of La Scala Ballet in 2016 but resigned for health reasons after eight months.
His works have been staged by the Teatro dell'Opera di Roma, Balletto di Toscana, Deutsche Oper Berlin, Ankara State Ballet, English National Ballet, Julio Bocca & Ballet Argentino, Gauthier Dance, Stuttgart Ballet, Staatsoper Dresden, Ballet Gulbenkian and most recently the City Ballet of São Paulo, Brazil. For the New York City Ballet he created Vespro in 2002, In Vento 2006 and Oltremare 2008, in collaboration with the composer Bruno Moretti.
- "Biographical information". Mauro Bignonzetti website. Archived from the original on 20 November 2008. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Company >Artistic Staff >Mauro Bigonzetti". aterballetto.it. Companie Aterballetto. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Bigonzetti on the Rise – Italian Choreographer Mauro Bigonzetti", Dance Magazine, Silvia Poletti, May 1995
- "Mauro Bigonzetti: Italy's New Maestro of Dance - Aterballetto Artistic Director and Choreographer Who Will Premiere Part 2 of his Dante Trilogy `Comoedia'". Dance Magazine, February 1999
- "Mauro Bigonzetti and Aterballetto Recreate Shakespeare in Their Own Way" Culturekiosque:Dance:Interviews, Patricia Boccadoro, 16 May 2001
- Aterballetto website
- CARAVAGGIO--Special Edition ArthausMusik trailer
- Archive footage of Mauro Bigonzetti's work Four Seasons performed by Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal in 2009 at Jacob's Pillow
- Archive footage of Bigonzetti's work Cantata performed by Gauthier Dance//Dance Company Theaterhaus Stuttgart in 2016 at Jacob's Pillow