3D model (JSmol)
|Molar mass||313.40 g·mol−1|
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
Mavoglurant (developmental code name AFQ-056) is an experimental drug candidate for the treatment of fragile X syndrome and other conditions which has been discontinued. It exerts its effect as an antagonist of the metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5).
Mavoglurant was under development by Novartis and reached phase II and phase III clinical trials. Phase IIb/III dose finding and evaluation trials for fragile X-syndrome were discontinued by the end of 2014. Otherwise, it would have been the first drug to treat the underlying disorder instead of the symptoms of fragile X syndrome. Mavoglurant was also in phase II clinical trials for Levodopa-induced dyskinesia. In 2007, Norvartis had conducted a clinical study to assess its ability of reducing cigarette smoking, but no results had been published up till now. Novartis was conducting a clinical trial with this drug on obsessive–compulsive disorder.
- P. Cole (2012). "Mavoglurant". Drugs of the Future. 37 (1): 7–12. doi:10.1358/dof.2012.37.1.1772147 (inactive 2017-01-15).
- Levenga, J; Hayashi, S; De Vrij, FM; Koekkoek, SK; Van Der Linde, HC; Nieuwenhuizen, I; Song, C; Buijsen, RA; et al. (2011). "AFQ056, a new mGluR5 antagonist for treatment of fragile X syndrome". Neurobiology of disease. 42 (3): 311–7. doi:10.1016/j.nbd.2011.01.022. PMID 21316452.
- Jacquemont, S.; Curie, A.; Des Portes, V.; Torrioli, M. G.; Berry-Kravis, E.; Hagerman, R. J.; Ramos, F. J.; Cornish, K.; et al. (2011). "Epigenetic Modification of the FMR1 Gene in Fragile X Syndrome is Associated with Differential Response to the mGluR5 Antagonist AFQ056". Science Translational Medicine. 3 (64): 64ra1. doi:10.1126/scitranslmed.3001708. PMID 21209411.
- "AFQ056 drug improves symptoms in Fragile X patients: Study". news-medical.net. January 9, 2011.
- Kumar, R; Hauser, R. A.; Mostillo, J; Dronamraju, N; Graf, A; Merschhemke, M; Kenney, C (Sep 2013). "Mavoglurant (AFQ056) in combination with increased levodopa dosages in Parkinson's disease patients". Int J Neurosci. 126 (1): 20–4. doi:10.3109/00207454.2013.841685. PMID 24007304.
- "NHI Clinical trials".
- "Effects of AFQ056 and Nicotine in Reducing Cigarette Smoking".
- "Study to Evaluate the Effect of AFQ056 in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)".
- FRAXA (2014). "Novartis Discontinues Development of mavoglurant (AFQ056) for Fragile X Syndrome".
|This drug article relating to the nervous system is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|