|Moulmein Intermediate College (1953)
Mawlamyaing Degree College (1964)
|Motto||Enshrine the education, serves the peoples' will|
|Rector||Dr. Htay Aung|
|Students||~ approximately 10,000 |
|Postgraduates||Master of Science, Master of Arts|
|Location||Taungwaing Road, Mawlamyine
Mon State, Myanmar
|Affiliations||University of Yangon|
Mawlamyine University (also the University of Mawlamyine; Burmese: မော်လမြိုင် တက္ကသိုလ် [mɔ̀ləmjàɪɴ tɛʔkəθò]), located in Mawlamyine, is the largest university in Mon State, Myanmar. Being established in 1953, Mawlamyine University is the third oldest Arts and Science university in the country after Yangon University (est 1878) and Mandalay University (est 1925). The university offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in liberal arts and sciences. It is one of the few universities in the country to offer a specialization in marine science in the country.
Classified as an Arts and Science university in the Burmese university education system, Mawlamyine University offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in common liberal arts and sciences disciplines. Its regular Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) take four years to complete and honors degree programs BA (Hons) and BSc (Hons) take six years. The law program also takes five years.
Mawlamyine University is one of few universities in Myanmar, offering a degree in Marine Science. Its Marine Science Laboratory in Setse, a coastal town about 83 km south of Mawlamyine was the first of its kind in Myanmar.
List of rectors
- Dr. Khin Maung Tint (Tekkatho Phone Naing)
- Mahn Thet San PhD
- Hla Tun Aung
- Kyi Win
- San Tint
- Saw Han Shein
- Dr. Htay Aung
- Dr. Kyaw Tin Nwe (WYTU)
- Dr. Aung Myat Kyaw Sein
- University of Mawlamyine Library: The university's three-story library, completed in January 2004, houses over 106,000 books and periodicals.
- Universities' Dhamma Hall
- Binnya Dala Lecture Hall: The lecture hall is named after Binnya Dala, a famous Mon scholar and chief advisor to Bayinnaung of Toungoo Empire, the largest empire in the history of Southeast Asia.
- Yamanya Lecture Hall
- Convocation Hall
- Men's dormitories with dinning room: built in the 1950s.
- Women's dormitory with dinning room: built in the 1950s.
- Setse Marine Station: A Marine Science Research Centre in Setse, a Sea - coast town about 60 kilometers south of Mawlamyine.
- Universities' Hospital: Located in the campus. It is in use again now after long abandonment.
- Universities' Sport Hall
- Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology: The University of Mawlamyine has international exchange agreements with the Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology since March 2015.
- Silliman University: Mawlamyine University maintains research and academic linkages with Silliman University.
- BABSEACLE: In co-operation with USAID and BABSEACLE, an Australian non-profit legal education organization, Law Department of Mawlamyine University provides CLE programmes to final year law students.
- University of New South Wales: Football United of the University of New South Wales has been working with Myanmar Red Cross Society and Mawlamyine University to develop a medium of football to promote positive youth development in disadvantaged communities of Mawlamyine.
Student and staff exchange
- Indiana University – Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW): The city of Mawlamyine established a Friendship City agreement with Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA in 2016. As a co-operation between the two cities, student exchange between Mawlamyine University and IPFW of Fort Wayne started in early 2017.
- Khon Kaen University: The possibilities for student & staff exchanges and academic collaboration between the two universities are under discussion.
Notable former staff
|Tekkatho Phone Naing||A famous Burmese writer and poet, worked as a lifelong university professor and later Chancellor of the University of Mawlamyine.|
|Khin Maung Nyunt||An eminent Burmese writer and historian, worked as Senior Lecturer and Departmental Head from 1961 to 1975.|
|Mahn Thet San||Served as a head of Moulmein College and later as Deputy Minister for Ministry of Industry.|
|Mohana Gill||A famous Indian writer, worked for Moulmein Intermediate College in the 1950s.|||
|Mehm Tin Mon||A prominent writer, worked as a Professor of Chemistry at the university.|
|Nanda Thein Zan||A well-known philosophy writer, worked at the university.|||
|Htoo Ein Thin||One of the most popular and respected Burmese singer-songwriters|
|Mar Mar Khaing||Member of the House of Representatives|
|Nai Thet Lwin||Union Minister of Ethnic Affairs in the government of President Htin Kyaw and President Win Myint|||
- http://monnews.org/?p=912 | Mawlamyine University students struggle with internet research
- Thaw Kaung (1996-07-01). "Mawlamyine: the Old and the New". Myanmar Perspectives. Archived from the original on 2009-01-06.
- "List of Colleges and Universities in and around Yangon". Archived from the original on 2009-01-09. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "Mawlamyine University gets new three-storey library". The New Light of Myanmar. 2004-01-27. Archived from the original on 2005-08-19.
- "l". 2009-01-06. Archived from the original on 2009-01-06. Retrieved 2017-07-29.
- "မော်လမြိုင် တက္ကသိုလ် ကျောင်းသား/သူ ဘာသာရပ်အလိုက် ဘော်လီဘောပြိုင်ပွဲ ဆုပေးပွဲကျင်းပ - Hintharmedia". Hintharmedia. 2016-02-26. Retrieved 2017-10-26.
- "Myanmar Seminar - Overseas Partner Institutions, University of Yangon and Mawlamyine University -：東京海洋大学". Myanmar Seminar - Overseas Partner Institutions, University of Yangon and Mawlamyine University -：東京海洋大学 (in Japanese). Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Academic Exchange Agreements - 東京海洋大学". www.kaiyodai.ac.jp. Retrieved 2017-10-26.
- "Linkages & Partnerships | Silliman University". su.edu.ph. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "Mawlamyine University Law Department's Ambitious Clinical Legal Education (CLE) Plan - BABSEACLE". www.babseacle.org. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Myanmar - BABSEACLE". www.babseacle.org. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Myanmar". Football United. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "An Evening Conversation with Mawlamyine University students". Fort Wayne Sister Cities. 2017-04-12. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "Sisters from across the seas | Columns | Journal Gazette". www.journalgazette.net. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- "มข.ต้อนรับ Mawlamyine University จาก เมียนมา". ird.kku.ac.th. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Gill, Mohana (2013). Myanmar: Cuisine, Culture, Customs. Marshall Cavendish International Asia Pte Ltd. p. 41.