Mawson, Australian Capital Territory
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Population||3,252 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1,550/km2 (4,010/sq mi)|
|Area||2.1 km2 (0.8 sq mi)|
Mawson is next to the suburbs of Phillip, O'Malley, Isaacs, Farrer, Torrens and Pearce. It is bounded by Yamba Drive, Beasley Street and Athlon Drive. The neighbourhood of Swinger Hill on the other side of Ainsworth Street is often associated with Mawson but is in fact part of the suburb of Phillip.
Southlands Centre is a commercial and retail centre located in Mawson. It contains a shopping centre, the Southlands Tennis Club, and a branch of the Canberra Raiders Leagues Club trading as The Mawson Club. Nearby are the Mawson district playing fields, Woden Golf Driving Range and Dyraaba Court Retirement Village. The Mandir Hindu Temple is located in the suburb. Other religious organisations include the Salvation Army Woden Valley Corps, a Seventh-day Adventist church, a New Apostolic Church, and the Australian headquarters for Gideons International.
Mawson has two schools, Mawson Primary School and Canberra Christian School, both located on Ainsworth Street.
Mawson Primary School, established in 1968, had about 300 students in 2014, and 483 in 2018. It is notable for its Mandarin Immersion Program. The Chinese Australian Early Childhood Centre is located in the grounds of the school.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Mawson (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Suburb Name search results". ACT Environment and Sustainable Development. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- ACT Government; Director; Corporate Management; Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development (31 January 2017). "Notice regarding social impact assessment for The Mawson Club". www.cmd.act.gov.au.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "CCTV footage shows armed hold up of Mawson Club in August". The Canberra Times. 1 September 2016.
- "Temple web site". Archived from the original on 6 November 2009. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Locations - New Apostolic Church - Australia District". www.newapostolic.org.au. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Mawson Primary School Home page". www.mawsonps.act.edu.au. 1 January 2003. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "The Gideons International in Australia - Home". www.gideons.org.au. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Henderson, G. A. M.; Matveev, G. (1980). Geology of Canberra, Queanbeyan and Environs (Map). 1:50000.
- Liu, Lijing (10 March 2015). "Mawson Primary School Board Report 2014" (docx). ACT Education and Training Directorate. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Education and Training Directoate (10 December 2019). "ACT School Census August 2018" (PDF). Retrieved 19 December 2019.
- "Mission and Values of Canberra Christian School". www.ccs.act.edu.au. Archived from the original on 19 March 2016. Retrieved 10 April 2016.