Max Kozloff (born 1933) is an American art historian, art critic of modern art and photographer. He has been art editor at The Nation, and Executive Editor of Artforum. His essay "American Painting During the Cold War" is of particular importance to the criticism on American Abstract Expressionism.
Early life and education
Kozloff was born in Chicago, Illinois. He graduated from the University of Chicago in 1953. Between 1954 and 1956 he served in the U.S. Army, before returning to the University of Chicago for his M.A. degree in 1958. He joined New York University's Institute of Fine Arts in 1959 to pursue a Ph.D. degree, and was subsequently awarded a Fulbright Fellowship for 1962–1963.
He started his career with a teaching position at New York University (NYU), and joined The Nation as art critic in 1961, where he worked until 1968, and Art International.
In 1964, he left NYU without a degree and began working at Artforum as an associate editor. In 1965 he received an Ingram Merrill Foundation Fellowship, and in 1966, received the Frank Jewett Mather Award for art criticism from the College Art Association of America. He became Artforum's contributing editor in 1967 and rose up to become its executive editor between 1975 and 1977. Meanwhile in 1976, he became an art photographer, and in the following years held numerous shows and became a photography critic.
- Jasper Johns, Abrams, 1972.
- Cubism/Futurism (1973).
- Photography & fascination: Essays (1979).
- Leon Levinstein: the moment of exposure. National Gallery of Canada, 1995. ISBN 0-88884-640-1.
- Cultivated Impasses: Essays on the Waning of the Avant-Garde, 1964–1975 (2000).
- New York: Capital of Photography (2002). ISBN 0-300-09445-0.
- The Theatre of the Face: Portrait Photography Since 1900 Phaidon, 2007. ISBN 978-0-7148-4372-8.
- 1968: Guggenheim Fellowship from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, New York City
- 1990: Infinity Award for Writing from the International Center of Photography, New York City
- Lane, Guy (17 November 2007). "Picture perfect Max Kozloff charts the development of photographic portraiture in his astute study, The Theatre of the Face". The Guardian. London.
- "John Simon Guggenheim Foundation". Retrieved 2021-07-25.
- "Infinity Awards > Past Recipients 1985–1995". International Center of Photography website. Archived from the original on 2007-09-04.
- "Awards". The College Art Association. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "Joyce Kozloff". Jewish Women's Archive. Retrieved 2021-07-25.
- "Writers and Editors War Tax Protest" January 30, 1968 New York Post