The Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology is located in Bremen, Germany. It was founded in 1992, almost a year after the foundation of its sister institute, the Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology at Marburg. In 1996, the institute moved into new buildings at the campus of the University of Bremen. It is one of 80 institute in the Max Planck Society (Max Planck Gesellschaft).
Currently, the institute consists of four departments with several associated research groups:
- Microbiology (headed by Prof. Dr. Friedrich Widdel (current managing director))
- Biogeochemistry (headed by Dr. Marcel Kuypers)
- Molecular Ecology (headed Prof. Dr. Rudolf Amann)
- Symbiosis (headed Prof. Dr. Nicole Dubilier)
Additionally, three independent Max-Planck research groups and a joint research group between the Max-Planck-Society and the Helmholtz-Society reside in the institute.
- ^ Prospectus of MPI-Bremen
- ^ http://www.mpi-bremen.de/en/Departments_and_Groups.html
Coordinates: 53°6′36″N 8°50′50″E / 53.11000°N 8.84722°E