Max Wittek during the 2012 season
|Hawaii Rainbow Warriors No. 13|
|Date of birth||July 31, 1993|
|Place of birth||San Ramon, California|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight||240 lb (109 kg)|
|Stats at ESPN.com|
Max Nolan Wittek (born July 31, 1993) is an American football quarterback. He played for the USC Trojans from 2011 to 2013. He joined the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors but will be forced to sit out the 2014 season.
Born in Contra Costa County, California, Wittek grew up in Norwalk, Connecticut but later moved to Santa Ana, California where he attended Mater Dei High School. His immediate predecessor as starting quarterback for Mater Dei was future USC teammate Matt Barkley. As a senior, he completed 153 of 282 passes for 2,252 yards with 24 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. He was ranked as the third best pro-style quarterback recruit in his class by Rivals.com. He committed to USC in April 2010.
Wittek was redshirted as a freshman in 2011. As a redshirt freshman in 2012, Wittek won the backup job to Matt Barkley. Wittek made his first career start on November 24, 2012 after Barkley suffered sprained AC joint in his right shoulder. Prior to that game he had completed eight of nine passes for 95 yards with a touchdown.
Scheduled to start his first USC game against rival and No. 1 ranked Notre Dame, Wittek made a stir by asserting his confidence in a Trojans victory: "I'm going to go out there, and I'm going to play within myself, within the system, and we're gonna win this ballgame." Notre Dame defeated USC 22-13 to advance to the 2013 BCS National Championship Game. Wittek threw for 186 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.
In January 2014, Wittek decided to pursue a master's degree and compete for a QB position at another university. In August, Wittek eventually announced his intention to transfer to Hawaii.
- Beachem, Greg (November 21, 2012). "College football -- Barkley's injury opens door for Wittek". The Hour. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Mark Whicker, Whicker: USC QB Wittek eager to get started, Orange County Register, November 20, 2012, accessed December 3, 2012.
- USC lands top QB recruit in Wittek
- Klein, Gary (August 29, 2012). "Max Wittek is tabbed as USC's No. 2 quarterback". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Kiffin: USC's Matt Barkley out for Notre Dame game". Sports Illustrated. November 18, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Mauro, Pedro (November 20, 2012). "Max Wittek says USC will pull upset". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Wojciechowski, Gene (November 25, 2012). "Irish prevent more BCS chaos". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2012-11-25.