Max van den Berg
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (June 2015)
|Max van den Berg|
Max van der Berg in 2016
|King's Commissioner in Groningen|
1 September 2007 – 1 April 2016
|Prime Minister||Jan Peter Balkenende (2007–2010)
Mark Rutte (2010–2016)
|Preceded by||Hans Alders|
|Succeeded by||René Paas|
|Born||Margrietus Johannes van den Berg
22 March 1946
|Political party||Labour Party|
|Spouse(s)||Geke van der Wal|
Margrietus Johannes "Max" van den Berg (Dutch pronunciation: [mɑrˈɣritɵs joːˈɦɑnəs ˈmɑks fɑn dɛm ˈbɛrx]; born 22 March 1946) is a Dutch politician and member of the Dutch Labour Party. From 1979 to 1986 he was the chairman of that party and from 1999 to 2007 he was a Member of the European Parliament. From 2007 to 2016, he was the King's Commissioner in Groningen, until 2013 as Queen's Commissioner.
His high school was the Carmelieten Paters in Oldenzaal. In 1969 he received his degree in sociology in Groningen, where he specialized in urban planning and political science. From 1969 to 1970 he was an academic staff member and lecturer at the sociology faculty of the University of Groningen.
From 20 July 1999 to 1 September 2007, he was a Member of the European Parliament. He was the leader of the PvdA delegation in the European Parliament, and from 1999 to 2004 he was also vice-chairman of the Committee on Development and Cooperation. He is also a substitute for the Committee on International Trade and the Subcommittee on Human Rights, vice-chair of the delegation for relations with the countries of the Andean Community, a substitute for the delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly, and a member of the temporary committee on policy challenges and budgetary means of the enlarged Union 2007–2013.
Max van den Berg is or was a member of several organisations:
- Member of Eurostep (1990–1999)
- Member of Oxfam International (1995–1999)
- Member of the board of governors of the African Studies Centre, Leiden
- Member of the management board of the Jan Vrijman Foundation
- Chairman of the management board, Theater Zeebelt, The Hague
- Member of the management board of Wereldomroep (Radio Netherlands International), Zeist
- Member of the management board of the Design Academy, Eindhoven
- In isolation, van and den are pronounced, respectively, [vɑn] and [dɛn].
- (in Dutch) Drs. M.J. van den Berg, Parlement & Politiek. Retrieved on 16 November 2007.
- "Koninklijke onderscheiding voor ereburger Max van den Berg", NU.nl, 2016. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Max van den Berg.|
- (in Dutch) Max van den Berg (official website)
|Party political offices|
Ien van den Heuvel
|Chairman of the Labour Party
|Queen's/King's Commissioner in Groningen