||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Raised a Roman Catholic, Maxine was educated at St. Joseph’s Convent School in Manchester. Sometime during the 1960s, she was introduced to Alex Sanders. In 1964, while a student at secretarial college, she was initiated into Alex’s coven. Maxine and Alex were handfasted the next year.
In 1968 she married Alex in a civil ceremony and moved into a basement flat near Notting Hill Gate in London. In the same year their daughter Maya was born; a son Victor was born in 1972. It was about this time that the Sanders separated.
The Sanders became household names during the late sixties and early seventies. The Sanders ran their coven and taught classes on Witchcraft. A record of the initiation of Janet Owen, 'A Witch is Born', was released in 1970. The Sanders’ coven also appeared in 'Legend of the Witches' (1970), 'Witchcraft ’70' (1970) and 'Secret Rites' (1971). A biography of Alex appeared in 1969 (King of the Witches, by June Johns); biographies of Maxine appeared in 1976 (Maxine: The Witch Queen) and 1977 (The Ecstatic Mother, by Richard Deutch).
Maxine remained in the London flat where, for many years, she continued running the coven and teaching the Craft. More recently she has moved from the city and now lives in a rural setting. Though retired from the formal work of teaching she still travels and gives talks.
- Jordan, Michael (1996). Witches: An Encyclopedia of Paganism and Magic. Kyle Cathie Limited. ISBN 1-85626-193-X.
- Deutch, Richard (1977). The Ecstatic Mother: Portrait of Maxine Sanders, Witch Queen. Bachman and Turner. ISBN 0-85974-048-X.
- Drury, Neville (2003). Magic & Witchcraft: From Shamanism to the Technopagans. Thames & Hudson Ltd. ISBN 0-500-28514-4.
- Sanders, Maxine (1976). Maxine: The Witch Queen. Wyndham Publications Ltd. ISBN 0-352-39738-1.
- Sanders, Maxine (2008). Firechild: The Life and Magic of Maxine Sanders "Witch Queen". Mandrake of Oxford, Ltd. ISBN 978-1-869928-97-1.
- Maxine Sanders Web Site
- TWPT talks with Maxine Sanders
- Legend of the Witches (1970)
- Witchcraft '70 (1970)
- Secret Rites (1971)
|This biography of a United Kingdom religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This paganism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|