This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developer(s)||Next Limit Technologies|
|Initial release||26 April 2006|
5.0 / 30 October 2019
|Operating system||Linux (on x86-64)|
Mac OS X (on IA-32 and PowerPC)
Microsoft Windows (on IA-32 and x86-64)
|License||Proprietary commercial software|
Maxwell Render is an unbiased 3D render engine, developed by Next Limit Technologies in Madrid, Spain. This stand-alone software is used in the film, animation, and VFX industry, as well as in architectural and product design visualization. It offers various plug-ins for 3D/CAD and post production applications.
Maxwell Render was released to the public as an early alpha in December 2004 (after two years of internal development) utilizing a global illumination (GI) algorithm based on a metropolis light transport variation. Next Limit Technologies released its latest version of Maxwell Render V4.2 in February 2018.
The physically correct rendering engine was originally used as a tool for animation and visual effects. Maxwell Render's trademark Multilight feature, which permits the changing of light intensities and colors in real time, was used in the feature film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
- Advanced Ray Tracing
- Physical Sky
- Fast scene set-up
- Layer-based materials
Multilight™ FIRE: Fast Interactive Rendering
- Immediate feedback to make adjustments to lighting, materials and camera settings
Materials Realistic Camera Model
- Real camera parameters: f-Stop, Focal length, Shutter speed, ISO, film size, diaphragm blades
Memory Saving Instances Accurate 3D Motion Blur Hair, Grass and Fur
- Compatible with many hair systems: Maya Shave and a Haircut, Maya hair, 3ds Max hair, CINEMA hair, Ornatrix
Volumetrics Particle Rendering
- Integration with RealFlow software
- Maxwell Sea
- Maxwell Volumetric
- Maxwell Grass
- Maxwell Scatter
Industry standard support
- Deep compositing
- Pixar Open SubDiv
- Python scripting
Network Rendering Post Production
- Post production plug-ins
- Custom Alphas
Interaction with other software
Maxwell Render for SketchUp is a simplified version of Maxwell Render, fully integrated into the SketchUp software application. Users can set the camera, lighting and environment, apply SketchUp or Maxwell MXM materials, and render and save image files. It is widely used in product design, architectural and engineering visualization.
3D application plug-ins
- Graphisoft ArchiCAD
- Bonzai 3D
- 3DS MAX
- CINEMA 4D
- form Z
Postproduction application plug-ins
- After effects
Third party supported plug-ins
|2004||Maxwell Render Alpha version|
|2005||Maxwell Render Beta version|
|2006||Maxwell Render 1.0
Maxwell Render 1.1
|2007||Maxwell Render 1.5
Maxwell Render 1.6
Maxwell Render 1.6.1
|2008||Maxwell Render 1.7|
|2009||Maxwell Render 2.0|
|2011||Maxwell Render Suite 2.6
Maxwell for Google SketchUp
|2012||Maxwell Render 2.7
Maxwell Render Learning Edition
Maxwell Render 2.7.1
|2013||Maxwell for SketchUp
Maxwell Render 3.0
|2014||Maxwell Render 3.0.1
Maxwell Render 220.127.116.11 beta
|2015||Maxwell Render 3.1
Maxwell Render 18.104.22.168
Maxwell Render 3.2
|2016||Maxwell Render 22.214.171.124|
|2017||Maxwell Render 126.96.36.199
Maxwell Render 4.1
|2018||Maxwell Render 188.8.131.52
Maxwell Render 184.108.40.206
|2019||Maxwell Render 5.0|
- Ray tracing
- Bella Render - Fast physical based rendering.
- Indigo Renderer - Another commercial unbiased renderer
- Kerkythea - A free unbiased renderer
- LuxRender - An open source unbiased renderer
- Octane Render - A commercial unbiased GPU-accelerated renderer
- "Latest release". nextlimit.com. Retrieved 25 November 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 October 2015. Retrieved 7 October 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Maxwell Render". Easy Render. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 December 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Review: Next Limit's Maxwell Render - Computer Graphics World". www.cgw.com. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Next Limit Technologies - All Products - (866) 362-8970 Novedge, Authorized Reseller". novedge.com. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Multilight_features". nextlimit.com. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "10 things you didn't know about Maxwell Render". NOVEDGE blog. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Plug-ins - Maxwell Render V4 Documentation - Next Limit support site". support.nextlimit.com. Retrieved 12 June 2019.