May 2016 Baghdad bombings
|17 May 2016 Baghdad bombings|
|Part of the Iraqi Civil War (2014–present)|
|Date||17 May 2016|
|Car bombing, suicide bombing, shooting|
|Perpetrators||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
|Motive||Weakening government and Shia control|
On 17 May 2016, a series of bombings fatally hit Baghdad. At least 101 people were killed and 194 injured.
A suicide bombing, which killed 41 people and wounded more than 70, in the northern district of al-Shaab. A car bomb in nearby Sadr City, that left at least 30 dead and 57 wounded. Another car bomb in al-Rashid, south of the capital, killed six and wounded 21. A parked car bomb struck a market in the Shiite-dominated neighbourhood of Dora, in southern Baghdad, killing eight people and wounding 22 others. A suicide bomber targeted a restaurant in the Habibiya neighbourhood, killing nine and wounding 18. A bomb blast killed one person and wounded another in al-Rashid, south of Baghdad. Clashes resulted in the killing of four army soldiers, as well as wounding two other and three police members. A bomb exploded near a popular market in al-Amin area in eastern Baghdad, killing two people and wounding seven other.
The attacks were preceded by a suicide bomb attack in a state-owned cooking gas plant in Taji, north of Baghdad, killing at least 14 people and another wave of attacks, that killed over a hundred people.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claimed responsibility for the attacks.
- Kareem Raheem (17 May 2016). "After bombings in Baghdad kill 77, Sadr's forces deploy in some areas". Reuters.
- ABC News. "Wave of Bombings in Baghdad Kill 69". ABC News.
- Amre Sarhan (17 May 2016). "Bomb blast kills 1 person, wounds another in al-Rashid south of Baghdad". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News.
- Abdelhak Mamoun (17 May 2016). "9 security members killed, wounded in battles of Rutba District". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News.
- Abdelhak Mamoun (17 May 2016). "9 people killed, wounded in bomb blast in eastern Baghdad". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News.