May Township, Christian County, Illinois
Location in Christian County
Christian County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 7, 1865|
|• Total||36.41 sq mi (94.3 km2)|
|• Land||36.34 sq mi (94.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.07 sq mi (0.2 km2) 0.19%|
|Elevation||607 ft (185 m)|
|• Density||43.5/sq mi (16.8/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||62510, 62567, 62568|
|GNIS feature ID||0429342|
May Township was established November 7, 1865, as Smith Township, but was later changed to Howard, then Penn, and finally to May. References as to when the name changes happened have been lost. It was named in honor of Colonel Charles May, of the artillery arm of the service in the Mexican-American War.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.41 square miles (94.3 km2), of which 36.34 square miles (94.1 km2) (or 99.81%) is land and 0.07 square miles (0.18 km2) (or 0.19%) is water.
The highest point in May Township is located approximately 20 feet south of the centerline of County Road 1600 North, at roughly 1816 East (.16 miles East of 1800 North Road, a/k/a Christian County Highway #7).
Cities, towns, villages
- Taylorville (east edge)
The township contains these four cemeteries: Fraley, Harris Number 2, Long and Tanner.
Airports and landing strips
- Anselm Landing Strip
- Central A & M Community Unit School District 21
- Taylorville Community Unit School District 3
- State House District 87
- State House District 98
- State Senate District 44
- State Senate District 49
- "May Township, Christian County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- United States Census Bureau 2009 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- Illinois Atlas & Gazetteer; Third Edition, Second Printing; Copyright 2000 DeLorme; ISBN 0-89933-321-4; pp 62
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Christian County Fact Sheet Archived 2007-10-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- May Township history
||Buckhart Township||Stonington Township|
|Taylorville Township||Prairieton Township|
|Johnson Township||Locust Township||Assumption Township|