Maya & Miguel
|Maya & Miguel|
|Created by||Deborah Forte|
|Directed by||Tom Kluck|
|Voices of||Candi Milo|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||65 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer||Deborah Forte|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company||Scholastic Studios|
PBS Kids Go!
|Original release||October 11, 2004 –|
October 10, 2007
Maya & Miguel is an American animated children’s television series produced by Scholastic Studios with animation by Starburst Animation Studios and Yeson Animation Studios. It aired on PBS Kids from October 11, 2004 to October 10, 2007, and had a total of five seasons and 65 episodes. The show also ran on Univision's saturday morning Planeta U block.
The show chronicles the adventures of two 10-year-old Latino siblings, Maya and Miguel Santos, as they figure out how to leave their stamp on the world around them, and features their relatives and diverse neighborhood friends. The comedy revolves around Maya's well-intended meddling in her family's and friends' lives, ultimately leading her to create new quandaries to fix—all the while doing good for the family and community.
The show centers on 11 main characters. Other characters are included, such as the family, but the show mainly revolves around these characters:
- Maya Santos (voiced by Candi Milo): Maya is a sweet, gentle, and energetic girl of Mexican and Puerto Rican descent. She always manages to include her twin brother and friends into her crazy adventures. Whenever Maya comes up with an idea, she always says "¡Éso es!" (That's it!) and her hair bobbles light up while her ponytail spins around; as shown in "The Bet" they will continue to glow until she says "¡Éso es!". She can sometimes be very stubborn, ignorant, and naive, and tends to get involved in other people's business. Although her ideas often don't go the way she plans them, they always accomplish their original objective in the end. Maya's heart is always in the right place.
- Miguel Santos (voiced by Nika Futterman): Maya's twin brother. Miguel is slightly more practical and sensible than his sister, and enjoys playing soccer and video games. Every time Maya gets an idea, he gets a bad feeling about it. He knows Maya means well, but he thinks she gets more involved in other people's problems than need be. He keeps track of Maya's ideas that have gone wrong, which annoys Maya. However, he would sometimes admit that an idea of hers is the best idea yet. He has a crush on a girl named Kylie, who apparently feels the same way.
- Theo McEwen (voiced by Jerod Mixon): Miguel's best friend and soccer buddy. He is African-American. Theo loves sports as much as Miguel does. Theo often gets straight A's in his classes, arguably making him the most intelligent of the kids. Theo is often the voice of reason among his friends.
- Maggie Lee (voiced by Lucy Liu): Maya's Chinese-American friend. She is very dramatic, fashionable, and talented. She rarely disagrees with Maya's ideas.
- Chrissy Lum (voiced by Beth Payne): Maya's Dominican-American friend, and describes herself as Afro-Dominican. She is very sensitive and level-headed, though sometimes she can also be gullible. Chrissy tends to point out the flaws in Maya's plans, similar to Miguel. She also loves animals.
- Andy Arlington (voiced by Jeannie Elias): Another friend of Miguel's. He is an English-American boy who was born with only one arm. Often seen in the background with Miguel and Theo, he likes to play soccer, basketball, and baseball. Andy moved to Maya and Miguel's neighborhood from Wisconsin.
- Tito Chávez (voiced by Candi Milo): Maya and Miguel's cousin who moved to the US from Mexico with his parents. He lives in the same apartment complex. He admires his cousin Miguel; in the episode "I've Got to Be 'Mi-Guel'" he is shown pretending to act as if he is Miguel (which makes Miguel rather pleased, but eventually annoyed at one point). He loves to play soccer like the twins.
- Abuela Elena (voiced by Lupe Ontiveros): Maya and Miguel's grandmother.
- Paco (voiced by Carlos Alazraqui): An anthropomorphic bilingual parrot who is the twins' pet, originally owned by their abuela. Most commonly heard saying "Pretty Bird" and "What about Paco, what about Paco?". He often gets loose, causing much trouble and confusion. Paco also often reacts to figures of speech (mostly ones about birds), thinking they are real.
- Rosa Santos (voiced by Elizabeth Peña): Santiago's wife and Maya and Miguel's mother who was originally from Mexico.
- Santiago Santos (voiced by Carlos Ponce): Rosa's husband and Maya and Miguel's father who was originally from Puerto Rico.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||13||October 11, 2004||November 11, 2004|
|2||13||November 12, 2004||May 6, 2005|
|3||13||May 5, 2005||September 25, 2005|
|4||13||January 20, 2006||October 2, 2006|
|5||13||February 14, 2007||October 10, 2007|
Season 1 (2004)
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Mala Suerte"||October 11, 2004|
|Everyone is having bad luck in the Santos household, right before Santiago's big meeting with a famous pet store mogul.|
|2||"The Matchmaker"||October 12, 2004|
|Maya sets up a date for her grandma so she won't be lonely.|
|3||"When Maya Met Andy"||October 13, 2004|
|Maya and her friends first meet Andy who was born with one arm.|
|4||"The Autograph"||October 14, 2004|
|Maya accidentally ruins Miguel's prize baseball, and causes chaos at a game when she tries to make it up to him by getting his favorite player's autograph.|
|5||"Rhymes with "Gato""||October 15, 2004|
|Chrissy's new pet cat runs away, and when the flyers are misprinted, the kids get a lost duck instead. What's worse, the duck gets loose in the Santos apartment, which is against regulations, and the landlord's on his way!|
|6||"La Nueva Cocinita"||October 18, 2004|
|7||"The Letter"||October 19, 2004|
|Maya finds a letter in Miguel's room saying he wants to be friends with their classmate Esperanza. She tries to set them up, and succeeds in getting Esperanza to fall for Miguel, only to find out to her horror that the letter was from Andy.|
|8||"Teacher's Pet"||October 20, 2004|
|Maya feels Paco is lonely from being at home alone all day, and brings him to school to cheer him up. He then finds another parrot hidden in his classroom that belongs to her teacher, Mr. Ngyuen. But both parrots fly off and Maya must get Mr. Ngyuen's parrot back before he finds it missing, as well as keep Paco's presence a secret.|
|9||"La Calavera"||November 2, 2004|
|Maya borrows a calavera that Abuela made for her school report, but loses it on the way home. After hours of frantic searching, she finally finds it, but it gets broken seconds later. After a failed attempt to copy it, Abuela reassures Maya that she is very responsible, as she cared so much about Abuela's feelings.|
|10||"Politics Unusual"||November 8, 2004|
|Maggie runs for class president to get Miguel out of a school show, but another kid named Simon is a better campaign leader and Maya's attempts to improve Maggie's campaign only make things worse. Eventually, Maggie resigns, feeling Simon might make a better leader.|
|11||"Tito's Mexican Vacation"||November 9, 2004|
|Tito misses his cousins in Mexico and Maya and her friends try to recreate his life there to cheer him up. Naturally, everything goes wrong.|
|12||"Prince Tito"||November 10, 2004|
|13||"The Bully and the Bunny"||November 11, 2004|
|A new boy, Jimmy, moves to town and starts to bully everyone, until Maya finds out the reason he's so upset.|
Season 2 (2004–05)
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|14||"Family Time"||November 12, 2004|
|Maya notices how stressed her family is and proposes a camping trip, but things go awry after she and Miguel do all the packing and key items are left behind.|
|15||"Surprise, Surprise"||January 18, 2005|
|Chrissy's favorite singer, Enrique, has too much fan mail to respond to her letters, and she thinks he doesn't like her. The concert where Enrique is performing sells out before Maya and Chrissy can get tickets, and the party Maya throws to cheer Chrissy up falls apart before she even arrives! Desperate, Maya, Miguel, and Abuela bring a goat to the hotel where Enrique is staying, as he used to have one when he was a boy (as well as being born in the same village as Abuela), in order to convince him to come to the party. They cause chaos in the hotel and are sent away, where they find that Chrissy's dad got her tickets to the concert, but she turned them down after hearing about all the trouble Maya went through for her. In the end, Enrique arrives at the party and takes everyone to his concert for free.|
|16||"Career Day"||January 17, 2005|
|Maya is upset the man she's shadowing for Career Day has such a boring job. She tries to introduce him to more exciting jobs, with disastrous results.|
|17||"An "Okri"-Dokey Day"||January 19, 2005|
|18||"Chrissy's Big Move"||January 21, 2005|
|Chrissy's family is moving to Hong Kong because of her father's new job, and Maggie is going to be spending a week with her aunt. Maya frets over being all alone until Maggie gets back, but her fears are nullified when Chrissy announces she won't be moving after all.|
|19||"I've Got to be "Mi-Guel""||January 20, 2005|
|20||"Soccer Mom"||February 11, 2005|
|Rosa takes over coaching Maya and Miguel's soccer team after their original coach gets a better job. At first, they're excited, but she starts telling everyone embarrassing stories about her kids and they end up trying to keep her occupied enough that she misses practice.|
|21||"The Adventures of Rabbit-Bird Man"||February 16, 2005|
|Miguel is writing a new comic for the library bulletin board, but gets the flu the day before his deadline. Maya offers to finish the comic for him, but she and her friends argue about the ending. Eventually, they compromise, putting all their endings into one, and the comic is a big hit.|
|22||"Maya and Miguel, Come on Down!"||February 17, 2005|
|23||"The Wrestler Next Door"||February 18, 2005|
|A muscular man named Gus moves to town to open an ice cream store, and Tito is convinced he's actually a famous wrestler. Maya and Miguel can't blame him when they see how similar Gus is to their cousin's idol, and soon discover he was the famous wrestler at one point, but retired due to all the attention from his fans driving him crazy.|
|24||"A Little Culture"||May 3, 2005|
|25||"The Bet"||May 4, 2005|
|Maya and Miguel make a bet: Miguel gives up video games while Maya stops having big ideas, and they see who can hold out longer. Loser does the other's chores for a week. But they soon find out breaking an obsession is harder than it looks.|
|26||"The Cheery Chipper Cupid Sisters"||May 6, 2005|
|Maya, Chrissy, and Maggie subscribe to their favorite superhero TV show's fan club, and try to be just like the heroes on the screen. Unfortunately, this does more harm than good, but after a nightmare where Paco is kidnapped, Maya understands how her actions affected others and the actual impossible duties that come with being a superhero.|
Season 3 (2005–06)
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|27||"Team Santos"||May 5, 2005|
|28||"Friends Forever?"||October 21, 2005|
|Maggie and Chrissy argue over Chrissy's lateness and Maya must help them make up before their friendship collapses.|
|29||"The Slump"||July 15, 2005|
|Thanks to Miguel, his baseball team will qualify for the championships if they win one of the next six games. But Miguel abruptly has a losing streak and only one game remains. Will Theo and Andy help Miguel break out of his slump and win?|
|30||"The Dogwalkers"||October 13, 2005|
|31||"Recipe for Disaster"||October 11, 2005|
|32||"The Pen-Pal"||October 14, 2005|
|Miguel gets a pen pal, who appears to have an exciting life, and fabricates his own life to make it seem similar (saying Maya is an extreme biker, Santiago wrestles animals, and Rosa is a scientist). But his pen pal unknowingly comes to visit and Miguel panics. But is his pen pal's life really as exciting as it seems?|
|33||"Abuela Upmanship"||October 12, 2005|
|Maya is jealous of her classmate Lola's grandmother, and lies that Abuela is a movie star to make her seem better than any grandmother in town. But she ends up struggling to prevent Abuela from finding out.|
|34||"Fashionistas"||October 28, 2005|
|35||"Maya Quixote and Miguel Panza"||November 4, 2005|
|Miguel's favorite flavor of ice cream is discontinued due to budget cuts at the ice cream shop, and he and Maya set out on a quest to get it reinstated.|
|36||"The Taming of Mr. Shue"||November 11, 2005|
|A new teacher, Mr. Shue, substitutes at Maya and Miguel's school when their old teacher goes on maternity leave.|
|37||"Tito's Pet"||January 6, 2006|
|Tito wants a pet of his own and when he finally gets one, chaos ensues.|
|38||"Real Twins"||October 10, 2005|
|Maya and Miguel appear on a reality show called, "Real Twins".|
|39||"Give Me a Little Sign"||September 25, 2006|
Season 4 (2005–07)
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|40||"A Star Is Born"||January 20, 2006|
|41||"Paper Girl"||January 27, 2006|
|Chrissy, Miguel, and Theo resign and break-up with Maya when she exaggerates their stories instead of printing out the truth to make them more interesting and ruins their lives at school; which leaves her struggling to finish the school newspaper all by herself. When she begs her friends for forgiveness, they forgive her and finish their school paper on time.|
|42||"Miguel's Wonderful Life"||November 25, 2005|
|It's Christmas and Miguel is mad at Maya after she ruins his day and his family portrait - his present to them, thus he wishes Maya never existed and he was an only child. His wish is granted and Maya is erased from the world, but Miguel also recalls the good times he had with his sister and once he realizes how she changed everyone else's lives for the better, he soon wants her back.|
|43||"The Video"||January 13, 2006|
|The gang secretly makes a video of Abuela as a birthday present for her, but their efforts to keep it secret are repeatedly sabotaged.|
|44||"Decisions, Decisions"||October 3, 2006|
|45||"A Rose is Still A Rose"||October 4, 2006|
|46||"Role Reversal"||October 5, 2006|
|The whole Santos family decides to do role reversal to see whose lives are easier. Maya and Miguel run the pet store, while Santiago and Rosa do all of their children's weekend activities.|
|47||"After School"||October 6, 2006|
|Maggie is proud of her record for punctuality and will do anything to protect it, even buying an extra alarm clock to avoid oversleeping. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happens when she forgets to turn the clock back for daylight saving time. She is late to school and disrupts the class by begging Mr. Nguyen not to put her tardy on her record. Mr. Nguyen then tells Maggie she has to stay after school the next day. Maggie panics, and she and Maya try several schemes to get her out of it, all of which fail. Maggie has a nightmare where she is now a prisoner at school, is put through grueling labor by Mr. Nguyen, and no one thinks of her as perfect anymore. The next day, just as Maggie arrives at the detention room, she loses her nerve and runs away. Mr. Nguyen then gives her a week's worth of|
|48||"The Wedding"||October 1, 2007|
|49||"Puppy Love"||January 15, 2007|
|50||"Mother's Day"||May 12, 2006|
|51||"The Big Fight"||October 2, 2007|
|52||"The Best Thanksgiving Ever"||November 18, 2005|
Season 5 (2006–07)
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|53||"Cupid"||February 14, 2006|
|When Miguel is chosen to be his school's Cupid, he dumps the costume he's supposed to wear but realizes the true meaning of Valentine's Day after helping Maya giving the right Valentine's Day cards to their neighborhood.|
|54||"Papi Joins the Band"||June 15, 2007|
|Miguel, Theo and Andy start their own band to perform at the talent show but Miguel's dad takes over the band and make himself the leader.|
|55||"Crushed"||October 3, 2007|
|56||"The Red Jacket"||January 16, 2007|
|When Miguel buys a Melissa Rojas' jacket for Kylie as a birthday gift, Maya thinks Miguel bought the jacket for her. Now how will Miguel tell Maya the truth?|
|57||"Maya the Mascot"||January 18, 2007|
|58||"Good Luck Paco"||October 4, 2007|
|59||"Paging Dr. Maya"||May 4, 2007|
|60||"The Battle of the Birthdays"||January 17, 2007|
|61||"Say "Cheese"!"||October 8, 2007|
|62||"A House Divided"||October 9, 2007|
|63||"Every Day is Earth Day"||April 21, 2006|
|64||"The Big Idea"||January 19, 2007|
|65||"I Love Maya"||October 10, 2007|
|Maya is excited when she gets the lead role in a new play, until she finds out she has to sleep throughout the whole production and doesn't even wake up until the end. She tries to liven up her role, but the director doesn't accept any of it and demands she stick to the old script. Maya quits the play out of anger, but her parents convince her to go back so as to not be a quitter. Maya does so and the director apologizes to her for being strict. Maya accepts it and agrees to follow the original script. She's a big hit in the play, even slipping so far into the role that she fools the director into thinking she's actually fallen asleep!|
|Season||Episodes||Years active||Release dates|
|1||13||2004||Volume 1: Twice the Fun: September 13, 2005|
Episodes: "The Autograph" – "The Letter"
Volume 2: Funny Fix-Ups: September 13, 2005
Episodes: "Mala Suerte" – "When Maya Met Andy" • "Teacher's Pet"
Volume 3: Cinco de Maya: April 18, 2006
Episodes: "La Calavera" • "Tito's Mexican Vacation"
|2||13||2004–05||Volume 3: Cinco de Maya: April 18, 2006|
Episodes: "Surprise, Surprise" • "I've Got to Be Mi-Guel" • "The Adventure of Rabbit-Bird Man"
- "Q&A With Composer David Ricard".
- "Season 1 Episodes". Maya and Miguel. TV Guide.
- Crump, William D. (2019). Happy Holidays—Animated! A Worldwide Encyclopedia of Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and New Year's Cartoons on Television and Film. McFarland & Co. p. 195. ISBN 9781476672939.
- "Season 4 Episodes". Maya and Miguel. TV Guide.
- "CHARACTERS FROM HIT PBS KIDS GO SHOW "MAYA & MIGUEL" CELEBRATE EL DÍA DE LOS NIÑOS". SCHOLASTIC MEDIA. April 8, 2009. Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- Perlmutter, David (2018). The Encyclopedia of American Animated Television Shows. Rowman & Littlefield. pp. 383–384. ISBN 978-1538103739.