Maya (given name)
Maya is a feminine name with multiple meanings:
- In Hindu philosophy, Māyā means "illusion", and in Hindu mythology it is also an alternate name of the Hindu goddess Durga. According to tradition, Queen Māyā of Sakya was the name of the mother of Siddartha Gautama, the Buddha. (Mount Maya is a Japanese mountain named for the mother of Buddha.)
- In Hebrew, the name Maya (מַיָּה/מאיה in Hebrew) is a short form of ma'ayan, meaning "spring" or "brook".
- Maya can be as well a name of Japanese origin, with different meanings. Variants include Mayako and Mayaka. The similar-sounding Japanese name Mayu means "truth, reason", while some sources say Amaya (pronounced A-MAH-YAH) is a Japanese name meaning "night rain".
- The name Maya can also be used as a tribute to the Maya peoples of southern Mexico and northern Central America or to the Maya, a group of Indigenous Australians.
- In the Nepali language, Maya means "love".
- In Old Persian the name means "generous".
- Another origin for the name Maya is the Tupi language spoken by Brazilian native Indians, where it means "mother", while Mayara means "grandmother".
- The name is also used as a variant form of the Greek theonym Maia (Μαῖα in Ancient Greek), the eldest of the Pleiades and the mother of Hermes in Greek and Roman mythology.
- Maia is also a name in the Māori language, meaning "courage" or "bravery", popular for Māori girls in New Zealand.
- Variously spelled Maia or Maja, it can also be used as a short form of Maria or Mary in Germany, the Scandinavian countries, Poland, Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Serbia, and Macedonia.
- Maya is also used as a short form for the name Amalia or the Basque name Amaia or Amaya (meaning "the end") in Spanish-speaking countries.
Maya has been a popular name for girls in recent years. It is currently among the top hundred names used for baby girls in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Belgium, Norway, and Israel as well as in other countries. Alternate spellings proliferate, with the name sometimes spelled Maia, Maja, Maiya, Miya, Mya, or Myah. The similar name Mia is also sometimes used as a spelling variant of Maya.
Notable persons with this name
- Maya (High Priest of Amun), a High Priest of Amun until at least year four of Akhenaten
- Maya (Treasurer) (13th century BC), the treasurer to Pharaohs Tutankhamun, Ay, and Horemheb of Egypt
- Maya Ali (b. 1989), Pakistani actress and model
- Maya Angelou (1928–2014), African-American author and poet
- Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam (b. 1975), better known as M.I.A., British singer/rapper
- Maya Kalle-Bentzur (born 1958), Israeli Olympic runner and long jumper
- Maya Berović (b. 1987), Bosnian pop star
- Maya Bond (b. 2000), Japanese American singer
- Maya Bouskilla (b. 1977), Israeli singer
- Maya Days, American singer
- Maya Deren (1917-1961), American avant-garde filmmaker
- Maya Diab (born 1980), Lebanese singer
- Maya Dolas (1966-1991), Indian gangster
- Maya Gabeira (b. 1987), Brazilian surfer
- Maya Hawke (born 1998), American actress
- Maya Kazan (b. 1986), American actress and director
- Maya Kulenovic (b. 1975), Canadian artist
- Maya Lin (b. 1959), American architect and sculptor, designer of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Maya Mishalska (b. 1974), Mexican actress
- Maya Moore (b. 1989), American basketball player
- Maya Nasri (b. 1976), Lebanese singer
- Maya Plisetskaya (1925–2015), Soviet born ballet dancer
- Maya Ritter (b. 1993), Canadian actress
- Maya Rudolph (b. 1972), American actress and Saturday Night Live cast member
- Maya Simantov (b. 1982), Israeli singer
- Maya Soetoro-Ng (b. 1970), half-sister of U.S. President Barack Obama
- Maya Stojan (b. 1984), Swiss actress
- Maya Vik (b. 1980), Norwegian singer
- Maya Wiley (b. 1964), American civil rights activist
- Maya Yoshida (b. 1988), Japanese professional footballer
- Maya (singer) (born 1979), K-Pop singer
- Maya (musician) (born 1979), vocalist of Japanese visual kei band LM.C
- Maja Włoszczowska (born 1983), Polish mountain biker, two-time Olympic silver medalist
Fictional characters named Maya
- Maya the Bee, the main character of the 1912 German children's book The Adventures of Maya the Bee and its various adaptions
- Maya (comics), an Indian DC Comics super-heroine
- Maya, the alter ego of the Marvel Comics superhero Paragon
- Maya, the original name given to Aelita in the French animated TV series Code Lyoko
- Maya (Azumanga Daioh), a minor character in the shōnen manga Azumanga Daioh
- Maya (Is the Order a Rabbit?), a character in the manga series Is the Order a Rabbit?
- Maya, one of the main characters in the Redakai: Conquer the Kairu franchise
- Maya Ibuki, a minor character in the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise
- Maya Santos, a character from the children's animated series Maya & Miguel
- Maya St. Germain, a secondary character in the Pretty Little Liars series of young-adult novels
Live action TV
- Maya Mehrotra/Maya Arjun Sharma, the lead character from the Sony Entertainment Television India drama series, Beyhadh
- Maya (Power Rangers), the Yellow Ranger in Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy
- Maya, an alien character on the television series Space: 1999
- Maya Chinn, a character from the American daytime soap opera Passions
- Maya Fisher, a character from the HBO TV show Six Feet Under
- Maya Gallo, a character in the NBC sitcom Just Shoot Me
- Maya Herrera, a character in the NBC drama series, Heroes
- Maya Ahmadi, a character from the NBC drama series, Blindspot
- Maya Wilkes, a character from the American sitcom Girlfriends
- Maya the Magnificent, the title elephant of the 1966 film and 1967 TV series Maya, scripted by Jalal Din
- Maya, a minor character in Battlestar Galactica
- Maya Avant, a character from The Bold and the Beautiful
- Maya Matlin, a character in the teen drama Degrassi: The Next Generation
- Maya Hart, a character in the Disney channel show Girl Meets World
- Maya DiMeo, a take-charge British mother on the ABC family sitcom Speechless
- Maya Vie, a minor character on The CW's The 100
- Maya (Killer Instinct), a character from video game Killer Instinct 2
- Maya Amano, a player character from videogame Persona 2
- Maya Do'Urden, a sister of Drizzt Do'Urden in Forgotten Realms
- Maya Fey, a secondary character in the Ace Attorney franchise.
- Maya, one of the six playable characters in the video game Borderlands 2
- Maya Ocean, one of the four pre-made mermaids in The Sims 3: Island Paradise
- Maya Torres, one of the playable characters in State Of Decay
- Entry "Maya" at Behind the Name.
- Rosenkrantz, Linda and Satran, Pamela Redmond (2007). The Baby Name Bible. St. Martin's Press. ISBN 978-0-312-35220-2.
- Entry "Maya" at Dicionario de nomes proprios.
- Entry in the Maori dictionary online.
- Most popular Maori baby names for 2012
- Entry "Maya" at Behind the Name.
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|