|First appearance||Iron Man vol. 4, #1 (January 2005)|
|Created by||Warren Ellis and Adi Granov|
|Team affiliations||Stark Industries, S.H.I.E.L.D.|
Fictional character biography
Within the context of the Extremis storyline, Maya is a scientist who developed the Extremis virus alongside Aldrich Killian. When Killian steals a sample of the virus and sells it to domestic terrorists, she calls up her old friend Tony Stark to help recover it. After Tony is severely beaten by Mallen, a terrorist who had been injected with the virus, he convinces Maya to inject him with Extremis too. Tony defeats and apprehends Mallen, but he discovers that Killian could not have acted alone in selling Extremis. Tony confronts Maya, who confesses to assisting in the crime as she knew it would force defense contractors to renew their funding. She is subsequently taken into custody.
Later, Tony believes Extremis is altering his brain functions so he gets her out of jail to help him. She is placed under his custody. When Sal Kennedy is killed, Maya feels she could have saved him if she had been allowed to continue her research on Extremis. She is unknowingly tricked into giving the Mandarin samples of the virus.
Following the events of the Secret Invasion storyline, Maya Hansen disappeared from the series and was not seen again until the relaunch of the Iron Man series during the Marvel NOW! event. It was revealed that she was kidnapped by A.I.M. to recreate the Extremis serum for them and succeeded. Though she was killed while trying to escape, she accomplishes her failsafe plan by sending a prerecorded message she made to Tony to warn him that the Extremis virus is on the loose again.
Powers and abilities
Maya Hansen has genius-level intellect.
In other media
- Maya Hansen appears in the 2013 film Iron Man 3 where she is portrayed by actress Rebecca Hall. In the film, Maya is one of Tony Stark's one-night stands; in a flashback to 1999, she reveals to him the prototype to the virus known as Extremis. She reunites with Tony during the film's events and is saved by Pepper Potts from the destruction of Stark's home. She is later revealed to be working with Aldrich Killian to improve on Extremis as well as to get back at Tony for breaking her heart thirteen years before. Maya and Pepper are taken captive by Killian after he killed one of Maya's servants that was coming in with a plate of food. Confronted by Stark, Maya has a change of heart and tries to back out of Killian's plan by holding a vial of potent Etremis to her neck and threatening to kill them all in the resulting explosion. Instead, Killian decides she is no longer necessary to his plans and shoots her himself.
- Maya Hansen the motion comic production of the Iron Man Extremis storyline voiced by Theresa Spurrier.
- Warren Ellis (w), Adi Granov (p), Adi Granov (i). "Extremis (Part I of VI)" Iron Man v4, 1 (January 2005), Marvel Comics
- Warren Ellis (w), Adi Granov (p), Adi Granov (i). "Extremis (Part IV of VI)" Iron Man v4, 4 (March 2005), Marvel Comics
- Warren Ellis (w), Adi Granov (p), Adi Granov (i). "Extremis (Part VI of VI)" Iron Man v4, 6 (April 2006), Marvel Comics
- Daniel Knauf & Charles Knauf (w), Patrick Zircher (p), Scott Hanna (i). "Execute Program (Part IV of VI)" Iron Man v4, 10 (September 2006), Marvel Comics
- Charles Knauf (w), Roberto De La Torre (p), Jon Sibal (i). "The Initiative: Part 4" Iron Man v4, 18 (July 2007), Marvel Comics
- Iron Man Vol. 5 #1