Maya Ray Thurman Hawke
July 8, 1998
New York City, New York, U.S.
Maya Ray Thurman Hawke (born July 8, 1998) is an American actress and model. She is the daughter of actress Uma Thurman and actor Ethan Hawke. She made her screen debut as Jo March in the 2017 BBC adaptation of Little Women and starred as Robin in the third season of the Netflix series, Stranger Things (2019).
Early life and education
Hawke was born on July 8, 1998, in New York City, the older of two children born to actors Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. Her parents met on the set of Gattaca (1997), married in May 1998, and divorced in 2005. Hawke's brother was born in 2002. She also has two half-sisters (born in 2008 and 2011) by her father's second wife, Ryan Shawhughes. She has another half-sister (born in 2012) from her mother's ex-fiancé, financier Arpad Busson.
On her father's side, Hawke is a great-great-grandniece of playwright Tennessee Williams. On her mother's side, she is a granddaughter of Buddhist scholar Robert A. F. Thurman and model Nena von Schlebrügge. Schlebrügge's mother, Birgit Holmquist, was also a model, having posed for Axel Ebbe's statue Famntaget, currently in Smygehuk in Sweden.
Hawke has dyslexia, which resulted in her changing schools frequently during her primary education before she was finally enrolled at Saint Ann's School, a private school in Brooklyn, New York that emphasizes artistic creativity and does not grade work. The artistic environment eventually led her to acting. Hawke also took part in summer studies at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London and the renowned Stella Adler Studio of Acting in New York. She attended the performing arts school Juilliard for one year before being forced to drop out after accepting her role in Little Women.
Like both her mother and grandmother, Hawke modelled for Vogue at the start of her career. She was also chosen as the face of the British fashion retailer AllSaints's 2016/2017 collection. In 2017, she starred as one of several faces in a video campaign for Calvin Klein's underwear range, directed by Sofia Coppola.
Hawke was Sofia Coppola's choice to play the title role of The Little Mermaid in Universal Pictures's planned live-action adaptation. However, the producers preferred the better-known Chloë Grace Moretz. This and other conflicts ultimately led to Coppola exiting the project. However, Moretz eventually dropped out as well.
In 2017, Hawke made her acting debut as Jo March in the BBC miniseries adaptation of Little Women. Hawke's breakout role came through her co-starring performance as Robin Buckley in the third season of Netflix's Stranger Things, which was released in 2019. Hawke, as Robin, spent most of her scenes with Joe Keery's character of Steve Harrington as co-workers at a local ice-cream parlor before stumbling onto a larger mystery, creating a popular and critically-favored pair of characters for the season. Also that summer, Hawke played Linda Kasabian in Quentin Tarantino's film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
|2017||Little Women||Jo March||Television miniseries|
|2019||Once Upon a Time in Hollywood||Flower Child||Film|
|2019||Stranger Things||Robin Buckley||Main role (season 3)|
Pending - Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress in Streaming Presentation (2019)
|2019||Human Capital||TBA||Film; Post-production|
- "Obituaries". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. October 14, 2005. pp. B5 Metro. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
Howard Green, 84, passed away Thursday, Oct. 13, 2005.... Survivors: Wife, Mary Utley Green; daughter, Leslie Green Hawke of Bucharest, Romania; grandson, Ethan Green Hawke and his offspring: Maya Thurman Hawke and Levon Green Hawke, of New York, N.Y....
- Chestang, Raphael (February 21, 2017). "Uma Thurman Opens Up About the 'Worst Decision' She's Made in Turning Down a Role". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- Kavanagh, Joanne (December 28, 2017). "Who is Maya Hawke? Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke's daughter and Little Women star playing Jo March". The Sun. UK. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- Olivia Markes (December 26, 2017). "Maya Hawke On Little Women And Following Her Parents Footsteps". Vogue. Retrieved December 26, 2017.
- Cheng, Kipp; Chang, Suna (May 15, 1998). "Monitor". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 28, 2011.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (October 7, 2005). "Uma Calls Split from Ethan 'Excruciating'". People. Time Inc. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Mulkerrins, Jane (December 22, 2017). "Maya Hawke, daughter of Hollywood royalty, on scaring men and making Little Women". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved December 26, 2017.
- "Ethan Hawke and wife welcome daughter Clementine". USA Today. Associated Press. July 23, 2008. Retrieved February 5, 2009.
- "Report: It's A Girl For Ethan Hawke". Access Hollywood. August 6, 2011. Retrieved August 6, 2011.
- "Uma Thurman Daughter's Name Revealed". People. Time Inc. October 17, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
'I would like to announce Uma and Arki's daughter's name for the first time officially: Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence Thurman-Busson, better known to family and friends as Luna,' the actress's rep Gabrielle Kachman tells People exclusively.
- Carr, David (January 10, 2013). "In His Comfort Zone". The New York Times. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- Kamenetz, Rodger (May 5, 1996). "Robert Thurman Doesn't Look Buddhist". The New York Times Magazine. Retrieved August 22, 2016.
- Kuprijanko, Alexander (July 20, 2006). "Uma Thurmans mormor staty i Trelleborg" [Uma Thurman's grandmother's statue in Trelleborg]. Sydsvenskan (in Swedish).
- Elber, Lynn (May 10, 2018). "Maya Hawke makes the most of 'Little Women' screen debut". Associated Press. Retrieved July 5, 2019.
- "Norman Parkinson". The Daily Beast. October 12, 2009. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- Hannah Ongley (April 18, 2017). "sofia coppola explores first kisses and crushes for calvin klein's new underwear campaign". i-D. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (June 1, 2015). "Sofia Coppola Is No Longer Directing 'The Little Mermaid'". Variety. Retrieved December 26, 2017.
- De Elizabeth (April 5, 2017). "The Little Mermaid' Gets 3 Different Movie Adaptations". Teen Vogue. Retrieved December 26, 2017.
- "BBC One and Playground announce Little Women cast". BBC. July 6, 2017. Retrieved December 26, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (March 2, 2018). "'Stranger Things' Season 3 Adds Maya Hawke, Ups Priah Ferguson". Variety. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- Wigler, Josh (July 4, 2019). "'Stranger Things': Maya Hawke Pulls the Curtain Back on Season 3 Breakout Role". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 24, 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda (August 22, 2018). "Lena Dunham, Austin Butler, Maya Hawke, Lorenza Izzo Board Quentin Tarantino's 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- Weir, Keziah (April 2, 2018). "Maya Hawke Gets Into the Family Business With the Literary Role of a Lifetime: Jo March". Elle. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
...and shot her first movie, a female-driven indie called Ladyworld about a group of teenage girls at a truly hellish sleepover birthday party.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (July 31, 2018). "Fantastic Fest 2018 Sets 'Overlord', 'Apostle', & 'The Night Comes For Us' In First Wave Of Programming". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- Mancuso, Vinnie (July 16, 2019). "'Avengers: Endgame', 'Game of Thrones' Lead the 2019 Saturn Awards Nominations". Collider. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Peter Sarsgaard, Maya Hawke & 'Get Out's Betty Gabriel Are 'Human Capital'
- McNary, Dave (October 30, 2018). "Film News Roundup: Andrew Garfield Joins Gia Coppola's Romance Movie 'Mainstream'". Variety. Retrieved May 19, 2019.