This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
February 10, 2000|
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.
Penn was born and raised in Atlanta. She started her company in 2008 at the age of 8. She spoke at the TEDWomen event in San Francisco, which was streamed live on TED.com. She has done 2 official TEDTalks and 1 TEDxTalk. Penn is also an animator and artist, drawing cartoon characters from an early age. She is the creator of an animated series called The Pollinators which focuses on the importance of bees and other pollinators. She premiered a clip of The Pollinators and another animated series called Malicious Dishes at TEDWomen 2013.
Penn has made herself known as a supporter and member of One Billion Rising and Girls, Inc. In 2011, she founded her own nonprofit organization, Maya's Ideas 4 The Planet. Penn was named to Oprah's SuperSoul 100 list of visionaries and influential leaders in 2016.
- "Maya Penn, 11-Year-Old Entrepreneur Designs Eco-Friendly Accessories (VIDEO)". The Huffington Post.
- Maya Penn. "Maya Penn: Meet a young entrepreneur, cartoonist, designer, activist … – Talk Video". ted.com.
- "The Coolest Black Kid in America, No. 8: Maya Penn". Ebony.
- "Meet Maya Penn, 13-year-old CEO of Maya's Ideas [DIV] – One Billion Rising Revolution". One Billion Rising Revolution.
- "Meet the SuperSoul100: The World's Biggest Trailblazers in One Room". O Magazine. 1 Aug 2016. Retrieved 5 Jul 2018.