Maybach Music Group
|Maybach Music Group|
|Parent company||Warner Music Group|
|Distributor(s)||Atlantic Records (2013-)
Warner Bros. Records (2011-13)
Def Jam Recordings (2009-)
|Country of origin||United States of America|
Maybach Music Group (MMG) is a record label imprint founded by American rapper Rick Ross. Maybach Music Group albums were formerly distributed by Warner Bros. Records, which took over distribution following the expiration of a deal with Def Jam Recordings. As of December 12, 2012 the labels releases are now distributed by Atlantic Records. 16 solo and 3 compilation albums have been released by Maybach Music Group, including three certified Gold albums. The label is home to artists such as Ross himself, Wale, Meek Mill, French Montana, Omarion and Gunplay among others. The label has also had 6 albums debut at #1 on the Billboard 200 such as Deeper Than Rap, God Forgives, I Don't, and Mastermind by Rick Ross, The Gifted and The Album About Nothing by Wale and Dreams Worth More Than Money by Meek Mill.
Maybach Music Group released its first album in the summer of 2009, which was Rick Ross' third studio album Deeper Than Rap. After the release, Ross focused more on signing artists to his label, in the process discovering musicians such as Masspike Miles & hip hop group Triple C's who consists of members Gunplay, Torch, & Young Breed. On October 27, 2009, Ross released Triple C's debut studio album Custom Cars & Cycles through Def Jam. In 2010, MMG issued Teflon Don, with another album titled Color, Cut & Clarity by Triple C's also scheduled for distribution, however was delayed and has yet to be released.
Also in 2010, Ross made an offer to rapper Wiz Khalifa to sign to Maybach Music Group. Khalifa at the time was already signed with Atlantic Records. In 2011, Ross confirmed that he intended to launch Maybach Music Jamaica along with Maybach Music Latino. He also signed Maybach Music Group's first reggae artist, Magazeen. On March 25, 2011, it was announced that R&B & Soul singer Teedra Moses had signed to Maybach Music Group via Warner Bros. Records as its first female artist. On May 23, 2011, Maybach Music Group released the album Self Made Vol. 1, featuring Rick Ross with Maybach's new roster additions, Wale, Meek Mill, Teedra Moses, Pill, and Stalley along with Torch and Gunplay of Triple C's.
On January 2, 2012, while in the studio with Rick Ross, French Montana announced that he had signed a joint venture deal with Maybach Music Group and Bad Boy Records with Rick Ross and Diddy set to executive produce his debut album. It was announced that his debut album Excuse My French would be released in Fall 2012 through Interscope Records. On February 4, 2012, Rick Ross spoke about the departure of Pill from Maybach Music Group and revealed that Pill was never actually signed to Maybach Music Group. Pill was already signed to Warner Bros. prior to Maybach Music Group and it was Warner executives who proposed the idea of Pill joining. Ross says that they worked out a one-year deal, were Pill would be part of the team and after the year was up, it would be up to Warner Bros. Records to decide if he stayed or not.  On May 2, 2012, Rick Ross would go on to sign Omarion to the Maybach Music Group. He also announced that Self Made Vol. 2 would be released on June 26, 2012 and God Forgives, I Don't would be released on July 31, 2012.
On June 22, 2012, while promoting Self Made Vol. 2, Rick Ross said that Gunplay signed a solo deal with Def Jam and that more material would be released from Gunplay leading up to his debut album. There have been rumors that rapper Dom Kennedy or Nipsey Hussle were in talks on joining the label but when asked about the rumors Ross stated that he was a fan of them, but is not yet signed to Maybach Music Group. On July 12, 2012 after rumors that rapper Rockie Fresh was in talks to joining the label, Ross confirmed that Rockie Fresh was the newest addition to Maybach Music Group. Rockie Fresh released a mixtape entitled Electric Highway that dropped January 21, 2013 as his first project released under the imprint.
On December 11, 2012, Ross announced that his label, MMG was leaving Warner Bros. Records and that the label is moving to Atlantic Records. Ross is however still signed as a solo artist to Def Jam. On June 2, 2013, Rick Ross revealed an album cover and announced that Maybach Music Group will be releasing their third collaboration album, Self Made Vol. 3 on August 6, 2013. On June 3, 2013, three songs, all to appear on the album, "Poor Decisions", "God Is Great" and "Oil Money Gang" were released. On June 4, 2013, a video for each of the 3 songs were uploaded to the group's official YouTube page. Self Made Vol. 3 was released to generally positive reviews on September 17, 2013. The same day Stalley released his first retail project Honest Cowboy EP. On November 6, 2013, MMG announced that they had signed Washington DC rapper Fat Trel
|Act||Year signed||Albums under MMG|
|Act||Year signed||Albums under MMG|
|DJ Sam Sneaker||2010||—|
|DJ Hollywood Bay Bay||2013||—|
The following is a list of albums released through Maybach Music Group and distributed by Warner Bros. Records. Additional record label involvement is also specified.
|Artist||Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Sales|
|US||US R&B||US Rap||CAN|
|Rick Ross||Deeper Than Rap||1||1||1||23||
|Triple C's||Custom Cars & Cycles||
|Rick Ross||Teflon Don||
|Maybach Music Group||Self Made Vol. 1||
|Maybach Music Group||Self Made Vol. 2||
|Rick Ross||God Forgives, I Don't||
|Meek Mill||Dreams and Nightmares||
|French Montana||Excuse My French||4||1||1||11||
|Maybach Music Group||Self Made Vol. 3||
|Stalley||Honest Cowboy EP||
|Rick Ross||Hood Billionaire||
|Wale||The Album About Nothing||
|Meek Mill||Dreams Worth More Than Money||
|Rick Ross||Black Market||
The following are confirmed albums that currently have no official release date.
|French Montana||Mac & Cheese: The Album||
|Maybach Music Group||Self Made 4||
|DJ Scream||Hunger Pains||
- DX News Bits: Wiz Khalifa, Soulja Boy, Bruno Mars. 25 August 2010.
- Rick Ross Introduces Maybach Music Jamaica & Maybach Music Latino On BET's 106 & Park. BET.com. Retrieved 2011-07-07
- Harper, Rosario (March 25, 2011). "Rick Ross Signs The First Lady Of Maybach Music". sohh.com. Retrieved May 31, 2011.
- "French Montana Celebrates Signing With Bad Boy & MMG".
- "Rick Ross Speaks On Pill's Departure From MMG, Wishes Rapper "Success"".
- "Rick Ross Signs Omarion to Maybach Music Group".
- "Gunplay Signs To Def Jam".
- "Rick Ross Talks About Possibly Signing Nipsey Hussle & Dom Kennedy".
- "Rockie Fresh Signs To Maybach Music Group".
- "Rick Ross Confirms That Maybach Music Group Is Moving To Atlantic Records". HipHop DX. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Rick Ross & MMG Talk Self Made Vol. 3". Rap Radar. 2013-06-04. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "MMG". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Fat Trel Signs To Maybach Music Group". XXL Mag. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Lipshutz, Jason. "Rick Ross' Maybach Music Partners with Warner Bros., Signs Pill". Billboard. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- Rivers, Tyrone (3 January 2012). "Pill on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
There are no shots at Rozay or Warner Bros. I'm just deciding to go my separate ways. Love to MMG for the opportunity.. Peace
- "Rick Ross Producer Aone Advises: ‘Get Ready’". Mtv. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Rick Ross Pushes Back ‘Mastermind’". XXL Mag. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Insanul Ahmed. "Rick Ross, "Deeper Than Rap" (2009) - Ranking Rick Ross' Albums From Worst To Best - Complex". Complex.
- Insanul Ahmed. "Triple C's, "Custom Cars and Cycles" (2009) - Ranking Rick Ross' Albums From Worst To Best - Complex". Complex.
- "RIAA Gold & Platinum: Teflon Don". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2012-09-13.
- "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 7/31/2011". HipHopDX. 2011-08-03. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- "IP EOL". defsounds.com.
- "Rick Ross God Forgives, I Don’t Hits Gold".
- "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 5/26/2013". HipHopDX. Retrieved June 2, 2013.
- "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 6/30/2013". HipHopDX. Retrieved July 3, 2013.
- HipHopDX (3 December 2014). "Hip Hop Album Sales: Eminem, Rick Ross, Beyonce". HipHopDX.
- HipHopDX (10 December 2014). "Hip Hop Album Sales: Wu-Tang Clan, Mary J. Blige, Eminem". HipHopDX.
- "iTunes - Music - Dreams Worth More Than Money by Meek Mill". iTunes.
- HipHopDX (16 June 2015). "Rap Release Dates: Geto Boys, RiFF RAFF, Gunplay, Joell Ortiz & !llmind". HipHopDX.
- HipHopDX (28 August 2015). "French Montana "Mac & Cheese: The Album" Release Date". HipHopDX. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- "Migos Feat. Rick Ross - Black Bottles". WORLDSTARHIPHOP.
- "DJ Scream’s Debut Album Will Feature Waka Flocka Flame, Future, 2 Chainz And More". XXL Mag. Retrieved 13 August 2015.