Maybe (Allan Flynn and Frank Madden song)
Recordings in 1940
The first version to chart was recorded on June 11, 1940 by the Ink Spots featuring Bill Kenny and released by Decca Records as catalog number 3258B, with the flip side "Whispering Grass". The recording reached #2 on the chart that year. The Ink Spots' version of the song was also used as the opening theme for the first game of the Fallout franchise.
Another charting version was recorded by Dinah Shore on June 25, 1940, and released by Bluebird Records as catalog number 10793, with the flip side "The Nearness of You". This version reached #17 on the charts.
Bobby Byrne and his orchestra also charted with the song that year, reaching #19. His version was recorded on July 19, 1940, with a vocal by Jimmy Palmer, and released by Decca as catalog number 3392A. The flip side was "One Look at You".
The Bob Chester orchestra, with a vocal by Dolores O'Neill, also recorded the song. Their version, recorded May 17, 1940 was released by Bluebird Records as catalog number 10752. The flip side was "Pushin' the Conversation Along".
The song was revived as a duet by Perry Como and Eddie Fisher, recorded on May 13, 1952, which was released by RCA Victor Records, with the flip side "Watermelon Weather," as a 78 rpm single (catalog number 20-4744) and a 45 rpm single (catalog number 47-4744) in the United States reaching #3 on the charts in 52. This recording with the same flip side was also issued by HMV Records in the United Kingdom as a 78 rpm single, catalog number B-10289.
- Bunny Berigan
- Doc Cheatham
- Ella Fitzgerald (1968, on her Capitol album "30 By Ella")
- Marty Grosz
- Dick Haymes
- Elliot Lawrence
- Brenda Lee (1965)
- Dean Martin (1957)
- Vera Lynn
- Smokey Pleacher (1962)
- The Migil 5 (1964)
- Jimmy Roselli (1967)
- Kate Smith
- Gardner, Edward Foote (2000). Popular Songs of the 20th Century: Chart Detail & Encyclopedia, 1900-1949. St. Paul, Minnesota: Paragon House. p. 450. ISBN 1-55778-789-1.
- Decca records in the 3000 to 3499 series
- Bluebird records in the 10500 to 10999 series
- Victor records in the 26500 to 26799 series
- OKeh records in the 5600 to 5999 series
- Perry Como discography entry for "Maybe"
- RCA Victor Records in the 20-4500 to 20-4999 series