Mayde Creek High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Mayde Creek High School|
|Enrollment||2,739 (2015-16) |
|Color(s)||Kelly green white and black
|Athletics conference||UIL Class 6A|
|Affiliations||Katy Independent School District|
|Website||Mayde Creek High School|
Mayde Creek High School (MCHS) is a public high school located on Groschke Road in unincorporated Harris County, Texas and is part of the Katy Independent School District. Mayde Creek serves the portions of the city of Houston located in Katy ISD, including Addicks. Mayde Creek also serves many unincorporated communities in Harris County.
The school opened in 1984. When the school opened it had only two grades, eighth and ninth. By the 1986-1987 academic year it held 9th, 10th and 11th graders; the first class of students graduated in 1988.
The school building is divided into two sections, the smaller of which serves as the "Ninth Grade Center". There is a Performing Arts Center and a Natatorium.
Unusual architectural features of the Mayde Creek High School campus include an open floor-plan cafeteria, a wall, and a large number of glass bricks.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2017)|
In 2012 about 52% of Mayde Creek stuents were classified as low income. That year Children at Risk ranked Mayde Creek as the no. 3 best "Urban" (meaning with a low income student body at or above 50%) comprehensive high school in the Houston area.
Awards and honors
- All 1st Division UIL Marching Contest, 1st Division Award, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015
- 3rd (Bronze), 5A UIL State, Lincoln Douglas Debate Contest, 2010.
- Football playoff appearances in 1987, 88, 93, 94, 96, 97, 2007, 2008.
- Mayde Creek Elementary
- Schmalz Elementary
- Bear Creek Elementary
- Rhoads Elementary
- Stephens Elementary (partial)
- McRoberts Elementary (partial)
- Wolfe Elementary (partial)
The following junior high schools feed into Mayde Creek High School:
- Mayde Creek Junior High
- Cardiff Junior High
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Arturo Alvarez - professional soccer player
- Celeste Bonnin - former WWE superstar
- Raj Bhavsar - olympic gymnast
- Johnny Bravo (Jake Holloway) - radio and TV personality
- Aaron Brown (running back) - professional football player
- Heather Campbell - comic artist
- Ryan Culver - actor
- John Diller - noted yacht designer with Viking Yachts
- Josh Gardner - professional soccer player
- Ashley Ledbetter - actress
- Matt Montgomery - singer and musician
- Kevin Smith - Musician - Banjo Player for weird Al Yankovic
- Matt Wenstrom - NBA player
- Jordan Young - musician
- Radcliffe, Jennifer (2012-04-21). "Changing demographics turn 2 Katy schools into 'urban' stars". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- KISD. "Katy ISD Feeder Schools". KISD. Retrieved 2010-03-23.[dead link]