Maye Musk in 2015
April 19, 1948
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
(m. 1970; div. 1979)
|Children||Elon, Kimbal and Tosca|
|Relatives||Lyndon Rive (nephew)|
Maye Musk (née Haldeman; born April 19, 1948) is a Canadian-South African model and dietitian. Also the mother of Elon Musk, Kimbal Musk, and Tosca Musk, she has been a model for 50 years, appearing on the covers of magazines, including a Time magazine health edition, Women's Day, and Vogue. The New York Post asserted her self-earned fame by declaring she is "a star in her own right".
Early life and career
Maye Haldeman was born on April 19, 1948 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, a twin and one of five children. Her family moved to Pretoria, South Africa, in 1950. Her parents, Winnifred Josephine "Wyn" (Fletcher) and Dr. Joshua Norman Haldeman, a chiropractor and amateur archeologist, were adventurous and flew the family around the world in a prop plane in 1952. For over ten years, the family would spend time roaming the Kalahari desert in search of its fabled Lost City of the Kalahari. Their parents gave slide shows and talks about their journeys, "My parents were very famous, but they were never snobs," she said.
As a young woman, Haldeman was a finalist in the 1969 Miss South Africa beauty competition. In 1970, she married Errol Musk, a South African engineer she met in high school. They had three children: Elon Musk, Kimbal Musk and Tosca Musk. She earned a Master's degree in dietetics from the University of the Orange Free State in South Africa. She later earned another Master's degree in nutritional science from the University of Toronto.
In 1979, she divorced Errol Musk. Two years later, Elon decided to live with his father. Kimbal joined Elon four years later. After graduating high school, Elon decided to move to Canada; in 1989, six months later, Maye moved to Canada with her daughter Tosca.
Her modelling career continued in Canada and the USA. She has appeared on boxes of Special K cereal, in Revlon ads, in a Beyoncé video, she appeared nude on the cover of Time magazine for a health issue; also nude on the cover of New York magazine in 2011 with a fake pregnant belly; she was on the cover of Elle Canada in 2012; and starred in advertisement campaigns for Target and Virgin America. In 2015, she was signed by IMG Models. In September 2017, she became CoverGirl's oldest spokesmodel at age 69, which one news story reported as "making history".
In addition to modelling, she has a business as a dietitian and gives presentations worldwide.
She wrote a memoir titled A Woman Makes a Plan: Advice for a Lifetime of Adventure, Beauty, and Success (2019).
- "My 60th".
- Laura M. Holson (April 30, 2016). "At 68, Maye Musk, the Mother of Elon, Is Reclaiming the Spotlight". The New York Times. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- Kathleen Hou (March 17, 2016). "Elon Musk's Mom Is a 67-Year-Old Model and Dietitian with Great Wellness Advice". New York. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Meet Maye Musk, the glamorous model mother of billionaire Elon Musk". Business Insider. Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- Kirsten Fleming (May 2, 2016). "Elon Musk's model mom will have to wait for her Model 3". New York Post. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- Fox, Emily Jane (October 21, 2015). "How Elon Musk's Mom (and her Twin Sister) Raised the First Family of Tech". The Hive. Vanity Fair. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Keating Jr., Joseph C. (September 1995). "Joshua N Haldeman, DC: the Canadian Years, 1926-1950". The Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association. 39 (3). pp. 172–186. PMC 2485067.
- Hall, Dana (April 11, 2014). "Rocket Man: The otherworldly ambitions of Elon Musk". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Elon's Mother". www.elonmusk.info. Archived from the original on August 11, 2017. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- "This 69-Year-Old Model Is the Newest Face Of Covergirl". September 27, 2017.
- Mejia, Zameena (September 28, 2017). "Elon Musk's mom Maye Musk just made history by scoring this modeling gig".
- Maye Musk (2019). A Woman Makes a Plan: Advice for a Lifetime of Adventure, Beauty, and Success. Viking. ISBN 978-1984878502.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maye Musk.|