April 19, 1948
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Nationality||Canadian, South African, American|
(m. 1970; div. 1979)
|Relatives||Lyndon Rive (nephew)|
|Agency||Creative Artists Agency|
Maye Musk (née Haldeman; born April 19, 1948) is a model and dietitian. She has been a model for 50 years, appearing on the covers of magazines, including a Time magazine health edition, Women's Day, international editions of Vogue, and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. She is the mother of Elon Musk, Kimbal Musk and Tosca Musk. She holds Canadian, South African, and American citizenship. She is a registered dietitian.
Early life and career
Maye Haldeman was born on April 19, 1948, in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, a twin and one of five children. Her family moved to Pretoria, South Africa, in 1950. Her parents, Winnifred Josephine "Wyn" (Fletcher) and Dr. Joshua Norman Haldeman, a former director of Technocracy Incorporated, a former Regina chiropractor and amateur archaeologist, were adventurous and flew the family around the world in a prop plane in 1952. For over ten years, the family spent time roaming the Kalahari desert in search of its fabled Lost City of the Kalahari. Their parents gave slide shows and talks about their journeys. "My parents were very famous, but they were never snobs," she said.
As her parents were entrepreneurs, Musk started working at about 8 years of age, where she would "prepare her parents monthly bulletins and photocopy newsletters, and then put the stamps on the envelopes.” By the age of 12, before and then after school, Musk worked as a receptionist alongside her twin sister for their father.
As a young woman, Haldeman was a finalist in the 1969 Miss South Africa beauty competition. In 1970, she married Errol Musk, a South African engineer she met in high school. They had three children: Elon Musk, Kimbal Musk, and Tosca Musk. She named Elon after her American grandfather, John Elon Haldeman (born in Illinois).
In 1979, she divorced Errol Musk. Two years later, Elon, who was about 10 at the time, decided to live with his father, as he had the Encyclopaedia Britannica, and a computer, things which Maye could not afford to give the children, as a single parent. Kimbal joined Elon four years later. After graduating from high school, Elon decided to move to Canada; in 1989, six months later, Maye moved to Canada with her daughter Tosca.
Maye earned a master's degree in dietetics from the University of the Orange Free State in South Africa. Her major was taught in Afrikaans – one of the four languages Musk now speaks. She later earned another master's degree in nutritional science from the University of Toronto.
Her modelling career continued in Canada and the United States. She has appeared on boxes of Special K cereal, in Revlon ads, and in a Beyoncé video ("Haunted"). She appeared nude on the cover of Time magazine for a health issue and also nude on the cover of New York magazine in 2011 with a fake pregnant belly. She was on the cover of Elle Canada in 2012, and starred in advertisement campaigns for Target and Virgin America. In September 2017, she became CoverGirl's oldest spokesmodel at age 69, which one news story reported as "making history". In 2022, at age 74, she was the oldest Sports Illustrated swimsuit model to date, appearing on the cover of the annual issue.
In addition to modelling, she has a business as a dietitian and gives presentations worldwide.
She wrote a memoir titled A Woman Makes a Plan: Advice for a Lifetime of Adventure, Beauty, and Success (2019).
In an interview with Forbes magazine, Musk said her greatest achievement was "having three great kids and surviving".
- Musk, Maye [@mayemusk] (July 4, 2020). "Happy 4th of July! From four happy Americans 🇺🇸 Tosca got her citizenship two weeks ago. This is a very long, intensive process Immigrants know #AWomanMakesAPlan #ItsGreatToBe72 @ToscaMusk @elonmusk @kimbal t.co/8fTrbiKXWj" (Tweet). Archived from the original on April 30, 2022. Retrieved December 15, 2022 – via Twitter.
- Musk, Maye. "My 60th". Maye Musk's Nutrition Blogs. Blogger. Archived from the original on June 21, 2018. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Holson, Laura M. (April 30, 2016). "At 68, Maye Musk, the Mother of Elon, Is Reclaiming the Spotlight". The New York Times. Archived from the original on June 28, 2020. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- Hou, Kathleen; Musk, Maye (March 17, 2016). "Elon Musk's Mom Is a 67-Year-Old Model and Dietitian with Great Wellness Advice". New York. Archived from the original on May 10, 2017. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- Kay, Grace (February 4, 2023). "Meet Maye Musk, the glamorous model mother of billionaire Elon Musk". Business Insider. Archived from the original on June 20, 2020. Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- Fox, Emily Jane (October 21, 2015). "How Elon Musk's Mom (and her Twin Sister) Raised the First Family of Tech". The Hive. Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on July 16, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Haldeman, Scott; Keating Jr., Joseph C. (September 1995). "Joshua N Haldeman, DC: the Canadian Years, 1926-1950". The Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association. 39 (3): 172–186. PMC 2485067.
- Hall, Dana (April 11, 2014). "Rocket Man: The otherworldly ambitions of Elon Musk". San Jose Mercury News. Archived from the original on September 6, 2016. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- "Elon's Mother". www.elonmusk.info. Archived from the original on February 18, 2016. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Field, Shivaune. "Striking At 70: Maye Musk On Entrepreneurship And Her Fearless Family". Forbes. Archived from the original on June 30, 2023. Retrieved June 30, 2023.
- Elon Musk at Montana Jobs Summit. MontanaJobsSummit. November 15, 2013. Archived from the original on August 31, 2021. Retrieved November 26, 2021 – via YouTube.
- Before Elon Musk was thinking about Mars and electric cars, he was doing chores on a Saskatchewan farm Archived May 24, 2021, at the Wayback Machine, by the Regina Leader-Post (May 15, 2017)
- Cao, Sissi (January 7, 2020). "At 71, Elon Musk's Model Mom, Maye Musk, Is at Her Peak as a Style Icon". Observer. Archived from the original on June 30, 2023. Retrieved June 30, 2023.
- Fleming, Kirsten (May 2, 2016). "Elon Musk's model mom will have to wait for her Model 3". New York Post. Archived from the original on June 26, 2018. Retrieved May 2, 2016 – via MarketWatch.
- Klebnikov, Sergei (July 31, 2018). "Inside the Fabulous Life of Elon's Mom Maye Musk, a Supermodel Nutritionist Who Spent Her Childhood Exploring the Kalahari Desert". Money. Archived from the original on April 26, 2021. Retrieved April 26, 2021.
- Lin, Summer (September 27, 2017). "This 69-Year-Old Model Is the Newest Face Of Covergirl". Elle magazine. Archived from the original on October 1, 2017. Retrieved October 1, 2017.
- Mejia, Zameena (September 28, 2017). "Elon Musk's mom Maye Musk just made history by scoring this modeling gig". CNBC. Archived from the original on October 18, 2021. Retrieved October 1, 2017.
- Draughorne, Kenan (May 16, 2022). "At 74, Maye Musk — yes, Elon's mom — becomes oldest Sports Illustrated swimsuit model". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on May 17, 2022. Retrieved May 17, 2022.
- Musk, Maye (2019). A Woman Makes a Plan: Advice for a Lifetime of Adventure, Beauty, and Success. Viking. ISBN 978-1984878502.
- Abraham, Tamara (July 26, 2021). "The 8 most stylish guests at Lady Kitty Spencer's wedding". Telegraph. Archived from the original on August 9, 2021. Retrieved August 9, 2021.
- Elon Musk Monologue - SNL. Saturday Night Live. May 9, 2021. Archived from the original on November 24, 2021. Retrieved November 26, 2021 – via YouTube.
- Damons, Andre (April 12, 2023). "Honorary doctorate best thing to happen to her – Dr Maye Musk". University of the Free State. Archived from the original on June 30, 2023. Retrieved June 30, 2023.
- "Maye Musk signs huge deal with Chinese electronics giant Oppo". South China Morning Post. June 29, 2023. Archived from the original on June 30, 2023. Retrieved June 30, 2023.