April 19, 1948
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Nationality||Canadian, South African, American|
(m. 1970; div. 1979)
|Relatives||Lyndon Rive (nephew)|
|Agency||Creative Artists Agency|
Maye Musk (née Haldeman; born April 19, 1948) is a model and dietitian. She has been a model for 50 years, appearing on the covers of magazines, including a Time magazine health edition, Women's Day, international editions of Vogue, and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. The mother of Elon Musk, Kimbal Musk, and Tosca Musk, she holds Canadian, South African, and American citizenship.
Early life and career
Maye Haldeman was born on April 19, 1948, in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, a twin and one of five children. Her family moved to Pretoria, South Africa, in 1950. Her parents, Winnifred Josephine "Wyn" (Fletcher) and Dr. Joshua Norman Haldeman, a former director of Technocracy Incorporated, a former Regina chiropractor and amateur archaeologist, were adventurous and flew the family around the world in a prop plane in 1952. For over ten years, the family spent time roaming the Kalahari desert in search of its fabled Lost City of the Kalahari. Their parents gave slide shows and talks about their journeys. "My parents were very famous, but they were never snobs," she said.
As a young woman, Haldeman was a finalist in the 1969 Miss South Africa beauty competition. In 1970, she married Errol Musk (born May 2, 1946), a South African engineer she met in high school. They had three children: Elon Musk, Kimbal Musk, and Tosca Musk. She named Elon after her American grandfather, John Elon Haldeman (born in Illinois). Maye earned a master's degree in dietetics from the University of the Orange Free State in South Africa. She later earned another master's degree in nutritional science from the University of Toronto.
In 1979, she divorced Errol Musk. Two years later, Elon decided to live with his father. Kimbal joined Elon four years later. After graduating from high school, Elon decided to move to Canada; in 1989, six months later, Maye moved to Canada with her daughter Tosca. She is bilingual speaking Afrikaans and English.
Her modelling career continued in Canada and the United States. She has appeared on boxes of Special K cereal, in Revlon ads, and in a Beyoncé video ("Haunted"). She appeared nude on the cover of Time magazine for a health issue and also nude on the cover of New York magazine in 2011 with a fake pregnant belly. She was on the cover of Elle Canada in 2012, and starred in advertisement campaigns for Target and Virgin America. In September 2017, she became CoverGirl's oldest spokesmodel at age 69, which one news story reported as "making history". In 2022, at age 74, she was the oldest Sports Illustrated swimsuit model to date, appearing on the cover of the annual issue.
In addition to modelling, she has a business as a dietitian and gives presentations worldwide.
She wrote a memoir titled A Woman Makes a Plan: Advice for a Lifetime of Adventure, Beauty, and Success (2019).
In 2021, she was one of the guests at Lady Kitty Spencer's wedding.
Maye Musk appeared alongside her son Elon on Saturday Night Live on May 8, 2021, the day before Mother's Day.
- ^ Musk, Maye [@mayemusk] (July 4, 2020). "Happy 4th of July! From four happy Americans 🇺🇸 Tosca got her citizenship two weeks ago. This is a very long, intensive process Immigrants know #AWomanMakesAPlan #ItsGreatToBe72 @ToscaMusk @elonmusk @kimbal t.co/8fTrbiKXWj" (Tweet). Archived from the original on April 30, 2022. Retrieved December 15, 2022 – via Twitter.
- ^ "My 60th".
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Holson, Laura M. (April 30, 2016). "At 68, Maye Musk, the Mother of Elon, Is Reclaiming the Spotlight". The New York Times. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- ^ Hou, Kathleen (March 17, 2016). "Elon Musk's Mom Is a 67-Year-Old Model and Dietitian with Great Wellness Advice". New York. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- ^ "Meet Maye Musk, the glamorous model mother of billionaire Elon Musk". Business Insider. Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- ^ Fox, Emily Jane (October 21, 2015). "How Elon Musk's Mom (and her Twin Sister) Raised the First Family of Tech". The Hive. Vanity Fair. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- ^ a b Keating Jr., Joseph C. (September 1995). "Joshua N Haldeman, DC: the Canadian Years, 1926-1950". The Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association. Vol. 39, no. 3. pp. 172–186. PMC 2485067.
- ^ Hall, Dana (April 11, 2014). "Rocket Man: The otherworldly ambitions of Elon Musk". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- ^ "Elon's Mother". www.elonmusk.info. Archived from the original on August 11, 2017. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- ^ Elon Musk at Montana Jobs Summit. MontanaJobsSummit. November 15, 2013. Archived from the original on August 31, 2021. Retrieved November 26, 2021 – via YouTube.
- ^ Before Elon Musk was thinking about Mars and electric cars, he was doing chores on a Saskatchewan farm, by the Regina Leader-Post (May 15, 2017)
- ^ Klebnikov, Sergei (July 31, 2018). "Inside the Fabulous Life of Elon's Mom Maye Musk, a Supermodel Nutritionist Who Spent Her Childhood Exploring the Kalahari Desert". Money. Retrieved April 26, 2021.
- ^ a b c d e f g Fleming, Kirsten (May 2, 2016). "Elon Musk's model mom will have to wait for her Model 3". New York Post. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- ^ "This 69-Year-Old Model Is the Newest Face Of Covergirl". September 27, 2017.
- ^ Mejia, Zameena (September 28, 2017). "Elon Musk's mom Maye Musk just made history by scoring this modeling gig". CNBC.
- ^ Draughorne, Kenan (May 16, 2022). "At 74, Maye Musk — yes, Elon's mom — becomes oldest Sports Illustrated swimsuit model". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 17, 2022.
- ^ Musk, Maye (2019). A Woman Makes a Plan: Advice for a Lifetime of Adventure, Beauty, and Success. Viking. ISBN 978-1984878502.
- ^ Abraham, Tamara (July 26, 2021). "The 8 most stylish guests at Lady Kitty Spencer's wedding". Telegraph.
- ^ Elon Musk Monologue - SNL. Saturday Night Live. May 9, 2021. Archived from the original on November 24, 2021. Retrieved November 26, 2021 – via YouTube.
- 1948 births
- South African female models
- Canadian female models
- People from Regina, Saskatchewan
- Living people
- University of the Free State alumni
- Canadian twins
- University of Toronto alumni
- People from Pretoria
- IMG Models models
- South African people of Canadian descent
- Canadian emigrants to South Africa
- Musk family