Mayfair High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Mayfair Middle/High School|
|6000 N. Woodruff Ave.
Lakewood, California 90713
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Bellflower Unified School District|
|• Grade 9||609|
|• Grade 10||587|
|• Grade 11||548|
|• Grade 12||534|
|Hours in school day||~7 (7:30-2:36)|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Communities served||Lakewood, Bellflower, Cerritos|
|Website||Mayfair High School website
second Mayfair High School website
Mayfair High School is a high school and middle school in the Bellflower Unified School District in the city of Lakewood, California. The school first opened in 1959. The student population is approximately 3616 in grades 7 through 12. Mayfair serves students in the cities of Lakewood, Bellflower, Cerritos, as well as other surrounding cities though the students not from Cerritos, Bellflower, or Lakewood usually need special waivers to attend.
The school mascot is the "Monsoons" and the logo is a vortex. School colors are white, blue, and grey. The school newspaper is called The Windjammer and the yearbook Tradewinds.
The student population racial makeup in 2004 was 17.7% African-American, 0.3% American Indian or Alaskan Native, 5.0% Asian, 31.2% Hispanic or Latino, 1.4% Pacific Islander, 37.1% White (Not Hispanic) and %2.5 Multiple or No Response. The student population is approximately 3700+ in grades 7 through 12. Mayfair serves students in the cities of Lakewood, Bellflower, and Cerritos.
Mayfair is recognized as a California Distinguished School, the highest award a California high school can obtain. In 2001, Mayfair received the Golden Bell award from the California School Board Association for their Academy of Animation and Digital Art Program.
Mayfair High School athletic teams participate in the Southern Section of CIF in the Suburban League with Cerritos, Artesia, La Mirada, Norwalk, Bellflower, and John Glenn high schools. The Monsoon athletic teams continue to be seen as dominant forces within the Suburban League.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Charles L. Beck (1971) - Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD).
- Geri Reischl (1978) - singer and actor best known for playing Jan Brady on The Brady Bunch Hour.
- Jay Gibbons (1995) - Major League Baseball outfielder.
- Shaun Anthony Harris (1996) - Major League Soccer, professional soccer coach.
- Synyster Gates (1999) - lead guitarist of Avenged Sevenfold and owner of Syn Gates Clothing.
- Michael Bragg (1999) - defensive back in the NFL and CPIFL, played CFB for Texas A&M University–Kingsville
- Josh Childress (2001) - former NBA basketball player for the Phoenix Suns. At Mayfair, Childress was selected as a McDonald's High School All-American.
- Justin Turner (2002) - Utility Infielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Marque Richardson (2003) - USC alumni and an American actor/screenwriter.
- Alterraun Verner (2006) - NFL cornerback
- Tony Burnett Mayfair High School (2008)-USC Trojans #34(2012), San Diego Chargers (2013), CFL Linebacker #26(Current)
- Fou Fonoti - American football player
- "Jay Gibbons Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- Avenged Sevenfold
- Josh Childress profile at NBA.com, accessed November 25, 2006
- David Felton, Mayfair star shines at home again, Long Beach Press-Telegram, September 24, 2005
- Justin Turner Stats, News, Pictures, Bio, Videos - New York Mets - ESPN
- "Mayfair High School". Bellflower Unified School District. Retrieved June 10, 2005.
- "Mayfair High School Accountability Report Card for 2003–2004". Bellflower Unified School District. Retrieved June 10, 2005.