Mayfield Secondary School
|Mayfield Secondary School|
|5000 Mayfield Road
Caledon, Ontario, L7C 0Z5
|School type||High school|
|Motto||To strive, to seek, to find|
|School board||Peel District School Board|
|Area trustee||Stan Cameron|
|• Grade 9||468|
|• Grade 10||447|
|• Grade 11||446|
|• Grade 12||465|
|Colour(s)||Gold and Blue|
|Team name||Mayfield Mavericks|
Regional Arts Program
Four disciplines of art are hosted at Mayfield: Drama, Dance, Music, and Visual Arts. Each has its own night to showcase the talents of the students at a junior (grades 9 and 10) and senior (grades 11 and 12) level. Mayfield's drama program is one of the finest in the Peel District. They put on a spectacular fall musical and spring play every year. Their improv team also competes in various National competitions. Mayfield has an impressive music program that offers many unique ways for students to strive for their maximum potential. Jazz, Classical, and Alternative music styles are offered, and students grow close bonds with other students through their extra-curricular activities. Mayfield's music program has won many awards, and is regularly invited to Musicfest National's for several of its performance ensembles.
Mayfield's dance program, part of the Regional Arts Program, accepts 50-60 students per year for the four-year program. It includes theoretical (dance history, culture, important figures in the dance world, the dance industry and different styles of dance) and practical components about the program. The program focuses on classical ballet and modern dance; however, to ensure students are exposed to other styles of dance, the program brings in experienced instructors to hold workshops a few times per semester. In this way, students are able to learn important dance technique while experiencing other styles of dance such as jazz, hip hop, ballroom styles, and many other styles of dance from around the world.
Every year, the department prepares a winter dance production. Each year explores a different winter related theme but every other year, the department performs The Nutcracker. In 2011, the department performed a show called Winter Miracles which explored the idea of miracles. The department also prepares a spring show in May and themes for this show can vary greatly. Although during the winter show students are able to show off their dancing talent, during the May show, students are able to choreograph their own pieces and audition them into the show. Therefore, the show includes teacher and student choreography. Furthermore, the May show is largely organized by the Grade 12 students as their final leadership project. Each student is assigned a role to ensure the success of the show. Some roles include Student Producer, Stage Manager, Runners, Decorations Crew, Photography Crew, and more. Overall, the Dance Program provides students with an incredible opportunity to enjoy the arts while pursuing their studies.
Mayfield is home to a number of clubs and student groups:
- Advocating Change through Education and Social Justice (ACES)
- Anime Club
- Announcement Club
- Art Club
- Animation Club
- Battle of the Bands
- Christian Fellowship/ Solid Base
- Computer Technology Club
- Environment Club – a.k.a. MESS
- Inside Ride
- Fashion Club
- Fitness Club
- Formal Crew
- In-School Writer's Club
- Link Crew
- Mayfield Youth Beyond Barriers (MYBB) [a Gay-Straight Alliance]
- Junior Concert Band
- Symphonic Concert Band
- Senior Concert Band
- Wind Ensemble
- Pit Band
- Percussion Ensemble
- Junior Women's Concert Choir
- Senior Women's Concert Choir
- Men's Chorus Choir
- Junior Jazz Band
- Junior Vocal Jazz
- DIVA Women's
- Chamber Choir
- Mayfield Gospel Choir
- SATB Choir
- Mayfield Music Student's Council
- Mayfield Athletic Association (MAA)
- Media Club
- Multicultural Club
- Fall Musical
- Sears Festival
- Spring Play
- Reach for the Top
- Senior Citizen's Social
- Senior Law Mock Trial
- Sewing Club
- Silenced Voices
- Student Advisory Council (SAC)
- Student Funk Band
- Terry Fox Run
- Walk Against Male Violence
- Weight Room
- World Action and Awareness Club (WAAC)
- Zonta Club
Reach for the Top Team
In the 2006-2007 season the Mayfield Reach for the Top team placed first in the Region of Peel qualifying them for the provincials. At the provincials the team placed in the top ten allowing them to progress into the TV round. Here they played one game against Gloucester Secondary School from Ottawa. The team lost but managed to attain a provincial ranking of 7th place.
In the 2007-2008 season the Mayfield Reach for the Top team placed first in the Region of Peel for the third year in a row, with a perfect record allowing the team to advance into the Ontario provincials. At the provincials the team placed in the top 10, once again allowing them into the TV round. In the TV round they played 3 games finishing in 3rd place overall. This year the team also adopted a mascot, a plush holstein named Cicero.
The next year was a rebuilding year for Mayfield having lost their two best players. Despite this they managed to advance into the provincials as the 2nd place team in the Region of Peel. At the provincials they ended the first day of competition with a 2-5 record. This placed them in the 35th position and stopped them from advancing into the TV round.
Mock Trial Team
Mayfield is home to one of the top Mock Trial teams in the country. The team is coached by award-winning law teacher Jo Thornton and criminal defense lawyer Rana Thiara.
- Peel tournament: Facing off against 16 other teams Mayfield finished second to Mentor College.
- OBA Regionals: Mayfield dominated the competition at Chinguacousy Secondary School but in the final match Mayfield lost by a single point to Holy Cross. Mayfield was later notified that their combined scores were the top in the province and that they got to advance to the OBA Finals in Toronto.
- OBA Finals: Mayfield placed 4th in the country out of over 200 schools.[when?]
- Clifton Brown, Muay Thai Kickboxer (Grade 9)
- Lara Jean Chorostecki, actor
- Ashley Comeau, actor/Second City alumna/television writer/producer
- Paulo Costanzo, actor
- Director X, music video director
- Jordan Gavaris, actor
- Michaela Hinds, World Champion Irish dancer
- Kris Lemche, actor
- Nicholas Lindsay, MLS soccer player (Toronto FC)
- Malgosia Majewska, Miss World Canada 2006
- Skye Sweetnam, musician
- Brittany Webster, cross-country skier
- Kyle Seeback, former MP, Brampton West
- Brittany Raymond, actress and dancer, on The Next Step
- Jake Holden, Olympic Snowboarder
- "About Us". Peel District School Board. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Mayfield Secondary School" (PDF). Chart Your Course. Peel District School Board. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 December 2011. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Team List". Mayfield Secondary School. Peel District School Board. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Clubs and More". Mayfield Secondary School. Peel District School Board. Retrieved 22 April 2012.