Mayhem of the Music Meister!
|"Mayhem of the Music Meister!"|
|Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode|
The episode's title card
|Episode no.||Season 1|
|Directed by||Ben Jones|
|Written by||Michael Jelenic|
|Original air date||October 23, 2009|
|Running time||22 minutes|
"Mayhem of the Music Meister!" is an episode of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series. The episode features the villainous Music Meister (voiced by Neil Patrick Harris), who uses his power to control people through song to try to take over the world. Written by Michael Jelenic and directed by Ben Jones, the episode premiered on October 23, 2009, the 24th of the first season.
The musical episode, which has been compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer's "Once More, with Feeling", was generally well received by critics and viewers. Unlike other episodes of The Brave and the Bold, this episode does not feature a cold open or teaser at the start.
The Music Meister, a villain capable of controlling others through song, induces Black Canary, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Black Manta, Gorilla Grodd and Clock King to hijack a United Nations communications satellite, launching it into space after they install a device for him. ("I'm The Music Meister") When Batman intervenes, he orders them to attack the hero, which they do in a dance style reminiscent of West Side Story. His plan successful, the Meister frustrates Batman once more, escaping by forcing his captives to dance towards the rocket blast, leaving Batman to rescue them rather than apprehend the villain. Meister escapes to an empty opera house where, in a reference to Phantom of the Opera, he plays the organ to a cardboard audience. Batman tries to capture him on a cross-town chase, as Meister release the inmates and villains from Blackgate Prison and Arkham Asylum. ("Drives Us Bats") Having heard Black Canary sing about her unrequited love for Batman ("If Only"), the Meister has fallen for her, but not enough to give up villainy, and she rejects him. Meister manages to capture Black Canary and Batman and puts them in a death trap. ("Death Trap") They escape as Music Meister uses the satellite to hypnotize the world with his music. ("The World Is Mine") When Black Canary becomes his slave, Batman tricks Canary into singing as high as he, using the satellite to transmit her sonic scream and break Music Meister's mind control. Batman finally defeats the Music Meister, and kindly rejects Black Canary's advances for a final time. Though Black Canary gives up on Batman, she finds love with Green Arrow, who had also held unrequited feelings for her for the duration of the episode. ("If Only (Reprise)")
"Mayhem of the Music Meister!" screened June 24, 2009 at Comic-Con, where supervising producer James Tucker noted that he believed that the show would be successful after seeing people wearing Music Meister costumes after the episode's debut. The episode received a standing ovation at its debut, in part because of the humor of the Maestro's dance-inducing powers on the heroes and villains.
The episode was nominated for an Emmy Award and has been called one of television's best musicals. The episode has been used as an example of the merits of Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
|Batman: The Brave And The Bold: Mayhem of the Music Meister! (Soundtrack from the Animated Television Show)|
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||October 23, 2009|
|Label||Warner Bros. Entertainment|
The soundtrack of "Mayhem of the Music Meister!" was released on October 23, 2009 as Batman: The Brave And The Bold: Mayhem of the Music Meister! (Soundtrack from the Animated Television Show). It contains 8 tracks from the episode and has been praised as being fun while criticized for its brevity.
|1.||"Batman: The Brave and the Bold Theme"||Andy Sturmer||Neil Patrick Harris, Grey DeLisle and John DiMaggio||0:32|
|2.||"I'm the Music Meister"||Neil Patrick Harris, Grey DeLisle and John DiMaggio||5:54|
|3.||"Drives Us Bats"||Neil Patrick Harris, Grey DeLisle and John DiMaggio||1:46|
|4.||"If Only"||Lolita Ritmanis||Neil Patrick Harris and Grey DeLisle||2:35|
|5.||"Death Trap"||Kristopher Carter||Neil Patrick Harris and Grey DeLisle||1:49|
|6.||"The World is Mine"||Neil Patrick Harris, Grey DeLisle and John DiMaggio||3:34|
|7.||"If Only (Reprise)"||Lolita Ritmanis||James Arnold Taylor and Grey DeLisle||2:03|
|8.||"Drives Us Bats (Mayhem of the Music Meister End Credits)"||Neil Patrick Harris, John DiMaggio and Kevin Michael Richardson||0:31|
- "Neil Patrick Harris is the Music Meister!". Animated Superheroes. 2009-06-23. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- "Advance Review! Neil Patrick Harris in Musical Episode of Batman". Small Screen Scoop. 2009-10-16. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "Warner Brothers Announces Comic Con Panels « : EveryJoe - Sports and Entertainment News". EveryJoe. 2009-06-26. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Chubb, Tina (2009-07-21). "Comic-Con 2009: Batman Musical to Premiere « In Entertainment". Inentertainment.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Propst, Andy (2009-07-20). "Neil Patrick Harris to Voice Villain in Batman Television Cartoon Musical: Theater News on TheaterMania.com - 07/20/2009". Theatermania.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "Neil Patrick Harris Sings in Musical Episode of "Batman: The Brave and the Bold"". Playbill.com. Archived from the original on 2012-10-21. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Burlingame, Jon (2009-07-24). "COMIC-CON 2009; Adventures of the Caped Crooner; The first-ever Batman musical, 'Mayhem of the Music Meister!' will debut today". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Thursday, June 18, 2009, 4:26pm EDT (2009-06-18). "Harris cast as singing Batman villain - TV News". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2011-06-06.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Bentley, Rick (2010-11-08). "The Dark Knight lightens up - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee". Sacbee.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.[permanent dead link]
- "SDCC 09: Batman Brave and the Bold Panel". Newsarama.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "The Remaining Season 1 Episodes of "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" Coming to DVD- Animation News Discussion Cartoon Community - toonzone news". Toonzone.net. 2011-03-15. Archived from the original on 2012-09-13. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "Batman: The Brave and the Bold". Inlander.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Thill, Scott (2009-12-14). "Ranking DC Comics' 2009 DVDs, From Great to Ghastly | Underwire". Wired.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Propst, Andy (2009-10-21). "Neil Patrick Harris Featured on Soundtrack for Batman Animated Series: Theater News on TheaterMania.com - 10/21/2009". Theatermania.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "ON THE RECORD: Lesser-Known Guettel and LaChiusa in "A Shining Truth," Plus Neil Patrick Harris in "Batman"". Playbill.com. Archived from the original on 2010-01-28. Retrieved 2011-06-06.