Maylis de Kerangal
Maylis de Kerangal
Maylis de Kerangal in 2010.
Maylis de Kerangal (born 16 June 1967) is a French author.
Life and career
Raised in Le Havre, Maylis de Kerangal went on to study history and philosophy in Rouen and Paris. She worked at Paris-based Éditions Gallimard (children and youth department, from 1991 to 1996), then travelled in the United States, and went back to studies at the School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences.
She wrote her first novel in 2000, and from that moment on became a full-time writer. Her celebrated novel, Birth of a Bridge, (Naissance d'un pont, 2010) presents a literary saga of a handful of men and women who are charged with building a bridge somewhere in a mythical California. Birth of a Bridge was short-listed for the Prix Goncourt, and awarded both the Prix Médicis in 2010 and the Premio Gregor von Rezzori in 2014 and has been translated into several languages worldwide.
Mend the Living (Réparer les vivants, 2014), published in the UK, has also won several prizes including the Prix Orange du Livre and the Grand prix RTL du livre in France, and the 2017 Wellcome Book Prize (UK). Mend the Living was adapted for the stage at the theatre festival in Avignon, receiving rave reviews for its intimate look at the realities and philosophical questioning around organ donation. It was adapted into the film Heal the Living in 2016. A second English-language translation of the novel, entitled The Heart, was published in the US in 2017.
- Je marche sous un ciel de traîne, Paris, Éditions Verticales, 2000, 222 p. ISBN 9782843350641
- La Vie voyageuse, Paris, Éditions Verticales, 2003, 240 p. ISBN 978-2843351617
- Ni fleurs ni couronnes, Paris, Éditions Verticales, 2006, 135 p. ISBN 9782070777204
- Dans les rapides, Paris, Éditions Naïve, coll. « Naïve sessions », 2007, 111 p. ISBN 978-2350210865
- Corniche Kennedy, Paris, Éditions Verticales, 2008, 177 p. ISBN 9782070122196
- Naissance d'un pont, Paris, Éditions Verticales, 2010, 320 p. ISBN 978-2070130504
- Tangente vers l'est, Paris, Éditions Verticales, 2012, 134 p. ISBN 9782070136742
- Award: Prix Landerneau 201217
- Réparer les vivants, Paris, Éditions Verticales, 2013, 281 p. ISBN 9782070144136
- Awards: Grand prix RTL-Lire 2014; Prix France Culture/Télérama 2014; Prix Orange du Livre 2014.
- à ce stade de la nuit, Paris, Éditions Verticales, 2014, 74 p. ISBN 9782070107544
- Un chemin de tables, Seuil - Raconter la vie, 2016, 105 p. ISBN 9782370210753
- Pressley, James. "Houellebecq Wins Goncourt, Top French Literary Award". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved November 8, 2010.
- "2014 Winners". Festival degli Scrittori - Premio Gregor von Rezzori. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Birth of a Bridge". Talonbooks.
- Farrant, M.A.C. (January 16, 2015). "French novelist explores mythic themes in 'Birth of a Bridge'". The Vancouver Sun.
- Sacks, Sam (November 7, 2014). "The Sins of the Father". The Wall Street Journal.
- Tennant, JS (July 6, 2015). "Birth of a Bridge by Maylis de Kerangal; translated by Jessica Moore; book review: An extraordinary construction from a distinctive voice". The Independent.
- "Maylis de Kerangal's 'Mend the Living' wins the Wellcome Book Prize 2017". wellcomebookprize.org. 24 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Maylis de Kerangal wins Wellcome Book Prize 2017 | Wellcome". wellcome.ac.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maylis de Kerangal.|