Maynas Province, Peru
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Location of Maynas in the Loreto Region
|• Mayor||Fernando Meléndez
|• Total||119,859.4 km2 (46,278.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||106 m (348 ft)|
|Population (2005 estimate)|
|• Density||4.5/km2 (12/sq mi)|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2015)|
The Maynas Province is bordered by Ecuador on the northwest, Colombia on the north, northeast and east, the Mariscal Ramón Castilla and Requena provinces on the south, and the Loreto Province on the southwest.
According to the 1993 Census, the Maynas Province has a population of 393,496 inhabitants, 50.6% of which (199,209) are male and 49.4% (194,287) are female.
As of 2005, the Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática estimates the province's population to be 536,423.
The majority of the province's residents (96%) speak Spanish at home; other languages spoken are Quechua (2%), Aymara (150 speakers, 0.0%), other indigenous languages (0.8%) and foreign languages (0.2%).
Persons originating from other regions of the country make up 8.4% of the population and 0.3% of residents were born abroad.
The population is spread out with
- 54.1% under the age of 20,
- 8.9% from 20 to 24,
- 24.6% from 25 to 44,
- 9.5% from 45 to 64, and
- 3% who are 65 years of age or older.
Secondary education has been attended by 28.8% of the population and 2.5% also have graduated from non-university higher education, while 2.6% have complete university studies. 46.7% only have attended primary education and 8.5% have not had any education.
The illiteracy rate in the province is 13.1%.
- Iquitos (Iquitos) (seat)
- Alto Nanay (Santa María de Nanay)
- Belén (Belén)
- Fernando Lores (Tamshiyacu)
- Indiana (Indiana)
- Las Amazonas (Francisco de Orellana)
- Mazán (Mazán)
- Napo (Santa Clotilde)
- Punchana (Punchana)
- San Juan Bautista (San Juan Bautista)
- Torres Causana (Pantoja)
- 2015-2018: Fernando Meléndez Celis (Movimiento Integración Loretana).
- 2013-2014: Adela Esmeralda Jiménez Mera (Movimiento Integración Loretana).
- 2011-2012: Charles Mayer Zevallos Eyzaguirre (Movimiento Integración Loretana).
Places of interest
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iquitos.|
- (in Spanish) Municipalidad Provincial de Maynas - Maynas provincial municipality