Mayo Clinic Hospital (Rochester)
|Mayo Clinic Hospital (Rochester)|
Mayo Clinic Hospital - Rochester, Saint Marys Campus, Rochester, Minnesota.
|Affiliated university||Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine|
|Emergency department||Level 1 Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center|
|Helipad||FAA LID: 99MN|
The Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester is a 2,059-bed hospital located in Rochester, Minnesota. It comprises the Saint Marys Campus, and Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital, forming an integral part of the Mayo Clinic academic medical center. Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester is ranked first on the 2019-20 U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals Honor Roll and is ranked #1 in more specialties than any other hospital in the United States.
Saint Marys Hospital was founded in 1889 by a local Franciscan religious community, the Sisters of Saint Francis of Rochester, Minnesota, led by Mother Alfred Moes. Five buildings at the Saint Marys Campus are named to honor Saint Marys' foundress and first administrator, Mother Alfred, and four Sisters who previously served as hospital administrators: Sisters Joseph, Domitilla, Mary Brigh and Generose. The Francis Building honors the many Franciscan Sisters who have served since the founding of Saint Marys.
Originally, the name was spelled "Saint Mary's Hospital", as can be seen in stone above the old front entrance, but in recent years the apostrophe is usually omitted.
Saint Marys Campus
The Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, Saint Marys Campus has 1,265 licensed beds and 64 operating rooms. In 2008, there were 63,000 admissions as well as 28,000 surgical cases that took place in the hospital. The Mayo Clinic Psychiatry and Psychology Treatment Center in the Generose Building is also part of the campus. St. Marys Hospital campus includes the nation's largest intensive care unit which includes about 200 ICU beds and 200 "step-down" ICU beds.
Recently[when?] the Emergency Department and Post Anesthesia Care Unit were renovated.
Saint Marys has a more than 76-bed emergency department but no obstetrics department, while Rochester Methodist lacks an emergency department but contains an obstetrics department. Saint Marys Hospital Emergency Department provides care for approximately 80,000 patients per year, serving the local population (constituting about 85% of patients) and being a referral for southern and central Minnesota, northern Iowa and western Wisconsin through Mayo One medical helicopter service. The Emergency Department includes a state of the art electronic all comprehensive patient flow system (known as "Yes"), 6 large trauma bays, universal (ICU capable) rooms, dedicated pediatric area, high acuity beds, 9 bed observation unit, fast-track/intake, slit lamp room, 4-psychiatry specific beds, acclimatized ambulance entrance and garage. St Marys also has a multiple dedicated trauma/surgical ICU's and hybrid operating rooms to provide the highest level of trauma care for the surrounding community.
Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital
The Saint Marys Campus houses the 148-bed Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital, offering multidisciplinary pediatric and adolescent care to infants, children, teens, and young adults aged 0-21. Mayo Clinic Children's Center includes providers from over 40 medical and surgical specialties. The new hospital was opened in 1996 at a cost of $13 million. The hospital was named after Eugenio Litta, a 14 year old boy who died from a ruptured appendix. The hospital ranks nationally in 6 different pediatric specialties.
The Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, Methodist Campus has 794 licensed beds and 51 operating rooms. The campus includes the Richard O. Jacobson Building, home to the proton beam therapy program.
In 2016-17, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, was ranked as the #1 overall hospital in the United States by U.S. News & World Report. A total of almost 5,000 hospitals were considered and ranked in 16 specialties from cancer and heart disease to respiratory disorders and urology; 153 (just over 3 percent of the total) were ranked in at least one of the 16 specialties. Of the 153 hospitals that are ranked in one or more specialties, 20 qualified for the Honor Roll by earning high scores in at least six specialties. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, was ranked in the top 10 in all but one of 16 specialties, in the top 4 in 13 specialties, and was the #1 ranked hospital in 8 of the 12 data-driven specialties. This year U.S. News expanded their common procedures and conditions list to 9 individual measures, and Mayo was one of fewer than 70 hospitals to score High Performing in every category. Additionally, Mayo was the only hospital on the 2016-2017 honor roll to also receive 5 stars from CMS. Every Mayo Clinic hospital received an "A" safety rating from Leapfrog in its April 2017 report. In 2019-20, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, was ranked again as the #1 overall hospital in the United States by U.S. News & World Report.
Ranked 3rd - 6th
- "Health Care Provider Directory". Minnesota Department of Health. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Minnesota Patient and Visitor Guide - Mayo Clinic facilities and hospitals in Rochester, Minn". Mayo Clinic.
- Kiger, Jeff (15 October 2016). "Mayo Clinic to add 14 new operating rooms". Post-Bulletin.
- "Mayo Clinic's Saint Marys and Methodist Hospitals to Become Single Licensed Hospital". Mayo Clinic News Network. 25 March 2013.
- Hansel, Jeff (26 March 2013). "A new era without the names Methodist Hospital and Saint Marys". Post-Bulletin.
- "Mayo Clinic Rochester". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 28 August 2019.
- Author, Guest (2016-09-05). "Mayo Clinic: The Franciscan Connection". Franciscan Media. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
- email@example.com, Jeff Hansel. "Franciscan sisters celebrate hospital's history". PostBulletin.com. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
- "Mayo Clinic's Saint Marys and Methodist Hospitals to Become Single Licensed Hospital". Mayo Clinic News Network. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
- Hansel, Jeff (26 March 2013). "HOSPITALS JOIN UNDER ONE NAME" (PDF). Post Bulletin. Retrieved 21 March 2020.
- "Mayo Clinic: 21 Statistics and Facts". www.beckershospitalreview.com. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
- "Mayo Clinic Hospital - Saint Marys Campus". Leapfrog. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
- THILL. "New Mayo unit named Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital". PostBulletin.com. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
- BURCUM. "Dedication set for children's hospital at St. Marys". PostBulletin.com. Retrieved 2020-03-21.
- "Best Children's Hospitals". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 21 March 2020.
- "Minnesota College of Medicine & Science - Campus Facilities". Mayo Clinic.
- "US News / Healthcare / Best Hospitals / Mayo Clinic". August 3, 2016. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Punke, Heather. "How did CMS rate US News' 20 Honor Roll hospitals?". www.beckershospitalreview.com. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- "See which hospitals earned an 'A' from Leapfrog". Healthcare Finance News. Retrieved May 15, 2017.