|Mayo Hospital cy = Yes|
|Affiliated university||King Edward Medical University|
Mayo Hospital is one of the oldest and biggest hospitals in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. King Edward Medical University is the attached university which is Pakistan's most prestigious and South Asia's second oldest institution.
The hospital building was completed in 1870 and it began operating in 1871. The hospital is named after then Viceroy of British India, "Richard Bourke, 6th Earl of Mayo" also locally known as Lord Mayo. The architecture of the hospital is Italian, designed by Pudon and engineered by Rai Bahadur Kanahya Lal, one of the leading architects of that time. However the architectural influence resembles medieval hospitals built during the Middle Ages. The additions between 1960 and early 1980 were designed by A. R. Hye.
The hospital buildings were built in the following order:
- Main Building of Mayo Hospital (Now inpatient department) in 1871
- AVH (Private) Block in 1891
- Out Patient Department in 1952
- Pediatrics Ward in 1974
- Institute of Ophthalmology in 1982
- Accidents & Emergency Block & Pediatric Surgery Block (Present)in 1984
- Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in 2001
Development is actively taking place and new buildings like the "Surgical Tower" are being built to meet patient demand.
- Physiotherapy and Manual therapy on both indoor and outdoor basis
- Central Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with Central Oxygen and Suction System
- Standard Coronary Care Unit (CCU) Facilities
- Angiography, Angioplasty, Cardiac Bypass, Heart Valves Replacement and all sorts of Cardiac Operations and procedures
- Radio Isotope Cardiology, Thallium Scan, Echocardiography
- Spiral Computed Tomography, Color Doppler and Ultrasonography.
- Renal Transplantation and Renal Haemodialysis
- Latest Physiotherapy Equipment, Rehabilitation Center and Orthopaedic Workshop
- Neuroangiography, Electromyography (EMG), Electroencephalography (EEG) and all kind of sophisticated Neurosurgical operations
- Operations of Plastic Surgery and cosmetology
- Operations of Fascio-maxillary, Jaw and Dental Surgery
- All kinds of Orthopaedic Operations
- All kind of Eye and Otorhinolaryngology Operations
- Surgical Operations of all kind for neonates, children, young and old patients
- Radio Isotope Thyroid, Liver, Bone, Brain and other organs scanning, Hormonal Assays and Viral Markings
Accident and Emergency
The main emergency department treats adults and children 13 years of age and up. There are separate emergency facilities for children less than 13 years old: Pediatric Medicine and Pediatric Surgery.
- Total Beds available: ~500
- Patients seen per day in all Emergency departments (Adult and Pediatric): ~ 600 - 800
Facilities Available in Emergency Department
- 24-hour in-house coverage by general surgeons and prompt availability of care in varying specialties such as orthopedic surgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, internal medicine, oral and maxillofacial surgery.
- Intensive care (ICU) & coronary care unit (CCU), fully equipped with central monitoring, central oxygen supply system, ventilators, defibrillators and sufficient stock of medicines.
- A burn unit for 10 patients, managed by Plastic Surgeons
- A well equipped clinical laboratory, performing 1500–2000 tests daily.
- Sufficient stock of blood of all groups.
- Ambulance service for transport of patients within
There are 42 out-patient departments comprising Medicine and Surgery and other sub-specialties.
- Average patients per day in OPD: ~2000
- Average surgeries performed per day: ~250
- Total Beds: ~2000
- Major Departments: 4 Internal Medicine and 4 General Surgical Departments.
Total patients seen per year are ~8,35,136: ~2,25,653 in the Emergency and ~6,09,483 in the Outpatient Department.
Starting from 24 May 2003, following departments provide 100% free treatment (as long as the patient remains admitted in the hospital):
- Accident & Emergency Department
- Pediatric Medicine and Surgery Emergency, Inpatient Department and Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Department of Ophthalmology and Eye Operation Theatre
- General Surgical Operation Theatres and Inpatient Departments
- Diabetic Clinic
- Otorhinolaryngology Operation Theatre
- Tuberculosis & Chest Diseases and Chest Surgical Departments
- Cardiac Surgery Operation Theatre, Inpatient and Coronary Care Unit (CCU)
- Dermatology Outpatient Department
- Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences Department
- Radiotherapy & Oncology Department
- Internal Medicine Departments
Medical Superintendent heads the Hospital Management.
- "Indian docs ready to feel Pak pulse", The Times Of India, 20 March 2004, retrieved 20 November 2008
- Ahmad, Safwan (15 April 2011). "Mayo Hospital Inpatient Building in the Shape of a Christian Cross!". Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- Mayo Hospital, Lahore, retrieved 11 November 2008
- About Mayo Hospital, archived from the original on 6 January 2008, retrieved 11 November 2008
- City District Government to take benefit from Mayo Hospital, retrieved 20 November 2008
- Mayo Hospital Lahore, light of hope for cardiac patients, retrieved 20 November 2008
- Organization of Health Department in Punjab, retrieved 11 November 2008