Mayor of Hollywood
The Mayor of Hollywood was an honorary position Hollywood appointed by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce. The office primarily served as the emcee of the award ceremonies for new plaques on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which is administered by the Chamber, along with other community events.
The position was created to promote show business events in Hollywood. The legal mayor of the area is the Mayor of Los Angeles, because Hollywood is an unofficial district of Los Angeles, California. The unpaid position was previously elected by the Kiwanis Club of Hollywood.
The office has been vacant since the death of Johnny Grant on January 9, 2008. Among those lobbying for the job were Max Worthington, Gary Owens, and Angelyne. The fictional character Chip Gardner, portrayed by Andy Daly on the Comedy Bang! Bang! podcast and TV show, lobbied for the position.
List of past Mayors
- "Search under way for new honorary Hollywood Mayor". Los Angeles Daily News. LA Daily News. March 16, 2008. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Oliver, Myrna (November 22, 1995). "John B. Kingsley; Hollywood Leader". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Angeles Times: Archives - Barbara Britton Named 'Mayor' of Hollywood". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com.
- "Angeles Times: Archives - Bailey Wins Mayor of Hollywood Race". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com.
- . Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. Missing or empty
- "Angeles Times: Archives - Lawrence Welk Elected Mayor of Hollywood". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com.
- Del Barco, Mandalit (March 27, 2008). "Pin-Up Queen Turns Hollywood Mayor Race Pink". NPR. NPR. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- [dead link]