Mayor of Kilkenny
The Mayor of Kilkenny (Irish: Cathaoirleach) is an honorific title used by the head of Kilkenny Borough Council. The Council has jurisdiction throughout its administrative area which is the city of Kilkenny in the Republic of Ireland. The office was established in the 16th century and had significant powers. The office was all but abolished under the Local Government Act 2001. All that remains of the office, per section 11 of the Act is a symbolic role: "Subject to this Act, royal charters and letters patent relating to local authorities shall continue to apply for ceremonial and related purposes in accordance with local civic tradition but shall otherwise cease to have effect.". The Act goes on to state the chairman of the Council must be styled the Cathaoirleach and that "Any reference in any other enactment to the lord mayor, mayor, chairman, deputy lord mayor, deputy mayor or vice-chairman or cognate words shall, where the context so requires, be read as a reference to the Cathaoirleach or Leas-Chathaoirleach or other title standing for the time being." (section 31 (3)).
History of the office
Kilkenny's first Council was elected in 1231 and since then Kilkenny has had a continuous record of municipal government. From the 13th century to the end of the 16th the chief magistrate was known as the Sovereign, and since then Mayor. The Cathaoirleach for the civic year 2012/2013 is Councillor Sean O' hArgain.
- pronunciation: http://forvo.com/word/cathaoirleach/
- "New Mayor Kilkenny". Kilkenny Borough Council. June 2009. Archived from the original on November 19, 2007. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- List of Sovereigns and Mayors of Kilkenny Kilkenny Borough Council website
- Review, Old Kilkenny, "The Sovereigns and Mayors of Kilkenny 1282-2003", Old Kilkenny Review
- McNeill, Charles (1931), Liber Primus Kilkenniensis
- Liber Primus Kilkenniensis, translated by Jocelyn Otway-Ruthven, Kilkenny 1961
- MS 2513 in the National Library. (Alderman Connells Book)
- Manuscripts 105 and 106, Gilbert Collection in the Dublin City Archives. (Rothes Register)
- Genealogical Memoirs of the Members of Parliament for the County And City of Kilkenny - George Dames Burtchaell, Dublin 1888
- Rothes Register of the Antiquities and Statutes of the Town of Kilkenny, Appendix to the second report of the Historical Manuscripts Commission. p. 257, article by J.T. Gilbert