List of mayors of Shawinigan
|3||Beaudry Leman||1902||1908 |
|4||Joseph-Auguste Frigon ||1913||1915|
|7||Joseph-Alexis Dufresne ||1920||1928|
|9||Lucien Bourassa||1936||1937 |
|13||Gaston Hardy ||1954||1957 |
|14||Armand Foucher||1957||1963 |
|15||Gérard Dufresne ||1963||1966|
Officially, elections to the Shawinigan Council are on a non-partisan basis. In recent history however, mayors of Shawinigan have been generally Liberal leaning. Gérard Dufresne, Dominique Grenier, Roland Désaulniers and Lise Landry were or have been card-carrying supporters of the Quebec Liberal Party and the Liberal Party of Canada.
- Leman resigned before the end of his last term. The City Councillors chose Vivian Burill to fill the vacancy. Vivian Burill served as Acting Mayor from June 15, 1908, to January 2, 1909.
- From 1927 to 1935, Frigon was the Liberal Member of the Legislative Assembly for the district of Saint-Maurice.
- In 1908, 1912, 1919 and 1923, J.-A. Dufresne was the Conservative candidate in the provincial district of Saint-Maurice. Each time he lost.
- Bourassa died before the end of his term. Alexandre Gélinas was elected mayor on May 3, 1937, and served until July 2, 1938.
- In 1956 and 1960, Hardy was the Union Nationale candidate in the district of Saint-Maurice, against incumbent MLA René Hamel. Each time he lost.
- Hardy resigned before the end of his term. Armand Foucher was elected mayor on February 11, 1957.
- Foucher resigned before the end of his term. The City Councillors chose Henri Désaulniers to fill the vacancy. Henri Désaulniers served as Acting Mayor from September 3 to November 1, 1963.
- The name of the Mayor of Trois-Rivières during the same period was also Gérard Dufresne.