Maywood Public Schools
|Maywood Public Schools|
|452 Maywood Avenue
Maywood, NJ 07607
|Business administrator||Jennifer Pfohl|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||1,299 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||FG|
The Maywood Public Schools are a comprehensive community public school district that serves students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade from the Borough of Maywood, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "FG", the fourth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
After graduating from Maywood Avenue School, approximately 250 students in public school for ninth through twelfth grades attend Hackensack High School in Hackensack, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Hackensack Public Schools, together with students from Rochelle Park and South Hackensack. In the wake of rising tuition costs assessed by the Hackensack district, the district has considered a plan under which the relationship with Hackensack would be severed and a new sending relationship would be established in which students would attend Paramus High School. Students may also apply to attend the Bergen County Technical Schools.
Awards and recognition
- Memorial School (419 students; in grades PreK-3)
- Ray Bauer, Principal
- Maywood Avenue School (523; 4-8). The school offers a wide variety of afterschool activities ranging from cheerleading to chess club. Older students have the opportunity to contribute to their school newspaper, The Hawk, and their yearbook.
- Michael Jordan, Principal
- Michael Jordan, Superintendent of Schools
- Jennifer Pfohl, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Maywood School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 5, 2014.
- Alvarado, Monsy. "Maywood to study sending high schoolers to Paramus over Hackensack", The Record (Bergen County), January 14, 2011. Accessed May 26, 2013. "A study to see if it would be financially and educationally beneficial for the borough to send its public high school students to Paramus is underway. The school district has sent its students to Hackensack High School for decades, but borough school officials say they can no longer afford Hackensack's growing per student tuition costs, and annual tuition rate adjustments.... Besides 250 students from Maywood, Hackensack High School also serves about 120 students from Rochelle Park and 80 students from South Hackensack."
- Clark, Susan Joy. "District evaluating Hackensack agreement", Community News, January 27, 2011. Accessed December 5, 2014. "There is no high school in Maywood and students now go to Hackensack. The Maywood School District is looking at Paramus High School for a possible sending relationship due to tuition hikes at Hackensack High School."
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982-1983 through 1999-2002 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- School Data for Maywood Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Schools, Maywood Public Schools. Accessed October 19, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Maywood Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Memorial School, Maywood Public Schools. Accessed October 19, 2017.
- Maywood Avenue School, Maywood Public Schools. Accessed October 19, 2017.
- Board Members, Maywood Public Schools. Accessed October 19, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Bergen County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Administration, Maywood Public Schools. Accessed October 19, 2017.
- Business Office, Maywood Public Schools. Accessed October 19, 2017.