Mbarara University of Science and Technology
|Motto||Succeed We Must|
Mbarara University of Science & Technology (MUST), commonly known as Mbarara University, is a public university in Uganda. Mbarara University commenced student intake and instruction in 1989. It is one of the eight public universities and degree-awarding institutions in the country. MUST is accredited by the Uganda National Council for Higher Education.
The university has two campuses:
- The Mbarara Campus is in the town of Mbarara, on the Mbarara-Kabale Highway, approximately 266 kilometres (165 mi) southwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of the university campus are 00 37 01S, 30 39 24E (Latitude:-0.6170; Longitude:30.6565).
- The Kihumuro Campus is in the suburb of Kihumuro, approximately 7 kilometres (4.3 mi), by road, west of Mbarara's central business district along the Mbarara-Bushenyi Road. The campus sits on 139 hectares (340 acres) of land, away from city noise. Once construction is completed, it will house all university faculties and institutes except the College of Health Sciences, which will remain at the Mbarara Campus. The Uganda government has spent USh5 billion (approx. US$2 million) of its own money on the construction. It has also secured a US$12 million loan from the African Development Bank to move the construction along.
Faculties and institutes
As of January 2016[update], MUST has three Faculties and three Institutes:
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Applied Sciences and Technology
- Faculty of Computing and Informatics
- Institute of Tropical Forest Conservation
- Institute of Interdisciplinary Training and Research
The courses offered at the university include:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Science with Education
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Masters in Development Studies
- Master of Arts in Local Governance & Planning
- Master of Science in Biochemistry
- Master of Science in Mathematics
- Master of Science in Biology
- Master of Science in Anesthesiology
- Master if Medicine in General Surgery
- Master of Medicine in ENT
- Master of Medicine in Internal Medicine
- Master of Medicine in Paediatrics & Child Health
- Master of Medicine in Dermatology
- Master of Medicine in Ophthalmology
- Master of Medicine in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Master of Medicine in Pathology & Forensic Medicine
- Master of Medicine in Community Practice & Family Medicine
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Nursing Science
- Master of Science in Clinical Psychology
- Master of Education in Planning & Management
- Master of Education in Psychology
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Media Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy in Development Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Physics
- Doctor of Philosophy in Mathematics
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry
- Doctor of Philosophy in Biology
Students and staff
As of January 2011, the student body numbered 3,163; 3001 undergraduates and 62 postgraduates. The university employs over 200 staff members.
Mbarara University of Science and Technology is administered by three bodies; the University Council, the University Senate and the University Top Management.
The University Council is the supreme organ of the university responsible for the overall administration and ensuring that the establishment objectives and functions of the university are duly implemented. The Council members are drawn from stakeholders including university staff, students, and members from the Ministry of Education, other government departments, University Convocation, the Private Sector and the general public.
The University Senate is responsible for overall administration, of all academic programs. The current Senate is instituted in accordance with the provisions of the Universities and other Tertiary Institutions Act of 2001, as enacted by the Parliament of Uganda.
University Teaching Hospital
The university teaching hospital is Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital, a 600-bed public hospital that also serves as the referral hospital for the districts of: Mbarara, Bushenyi, Ntungamo, Kiruhura, Ibanda, Mitooma, Sheema, Buhweju, Isingiro and Rubirizi.
- Education in Uganda
- List of universities in Uganda
- List of university leaders in Uganda
- List of medical schools in Uganda
- Mutegeki, Geoffrey (19 June 2017). "MUST begins search for Chancellor". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- Tumushabe, Alfred (24 October 2014). "Mbarara University Vice Chancellor Hands Over Office Today". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- UNCHE, . "Uganda National Council for Higher Education: Public Universities". Uganda National Council for Higher Education (UNCHE). Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "Travel Distance Between Kampala And Mbarara With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- Google. "Location of Mbarara University Main Campus At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- Talemwa, Moses (1 July 2012). "Kihumuro, MUST's New Site Takes Shape". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Nduhukire, Sheila (16 September 2011). "Mbarara University In UShs80 Billion Expansion". Daily Monitor Mobile. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Mbarara University of Science and Technology". FortuneOfAfrica.Com/Ug/. 2012. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- MUST, . "Mbarara University of Science And Technology: Students Enrolment As At January 2011". Mbarara University of Science And Technology (MUST). Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- MUST, . "Mbarara University Governance". Mbarara University (MUST). Retrieved 24 October 2014.