McAllen Memorial High School
|McAllen Memorial High School|
|101 East Hackberry Avenue
McAllen, Texas, Hidalgo County 78501
|School district||McAllen Independent School District|
|Principal||Mr. Pedro Alvarez |
|Number of students||2,003|
|Rivals||McHi Bulldogs, Rowe Warriors|
McAllen Memorial High School is one of three high schools serving the McAllen, Texas area as a part of the McAllen Independent School District. It houses over 2,000 students from grades 9-12. Prior to the establishment of Memorial High School, the school and its building were originally opened and operated as Dorothea Brown Middle School. The high school opened in 1980, and its current location is 101 East Hackberry Avenue McAllen, Texas, United States. The two feeder schools are Dr. Rodney D. Cathey Middle School and Dorothea Brown Middle School. The school colors are Columbia blue and bright gold and the mascot is a mustang. All athletic teams compete in the UIL District 30-6A.
Memorial High School currently[when?] holds a total of 2,003 students consisting of; 1,572 Hispanics, 327 White (Non-Hispanics), 43 Asian/Pacific Islanders; 4 African Americans, and 1 Native American. The staff of 275 consists of; 188 Hispanics, 82 White (non-Hispanics), 2 African Americans, and 3 Asian/Pacific Islanders.
Memorial High School began in 1980, renovations were made to the Health Clinic, Assistant Principal offices, Attendance office, Auditorium in 1999.
The high school lies on 39.39 acres of land, there are currently 100 permanent classrooms and 3 portable classrooms.
McAllen Memorial High School possesses one of the best regular season football records for the Rio Grande Valley with a 12-1 record in 2012 that included a 12 game win streak before a loss in the playoffs. Notable players from that season who went on to play in college include Matthew Kauffmann for the USMA, Luis Vega for Lindenwood, Nicolas Leandro and Maxwell Treu for UTRGV, Pablo Adame for Truman State College, Tyler Marriott and Patrick Ojeaga who walked on at UT and Otto Sunday who walked on at USAFA.
McAllen Memorial High's feeder schools include:
- Bonham, Escandon, Gonzales, Houston, Jackson, Milam (partial), and Roosevelt elementary schools
- Brown and Cathey middle schools
- "McAllen Independent School District Directory of Schools 2015-2016" (PDF). McAllen Independent School District. Retrieved January 2016. Check date values in:
- "[mws.mcallenisd.net/misd/hs_memorial_map.html High School Zones > McAllen Memorial High School]." McAllen Independent School District. Retrieved on March 11, 2017.
- "McISDMap_ES.pdf." McAllen Independent School District. Retrieved on March 11, 2017.
- "MISD_MS_Map.pdf." McAllen Independent School District. Retrieved on March 11, 2017.
|This article about a high school in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|