|Studio album by McBusted|
|Released||1 December 2014|
|Singles from McBusted|
McBusted is the self-titled debut studio album by English Pop Punk supergroup McBusted. It was released through Island Records on 1 December 2014. The album was preceded by the release of lead single "Air Guitar", which peaked at number 12 in the United Kingdom.
Background and development
In November 2013, it was announced that Busted's James Bourne and Matt Willis would come together with McFly and tour together as the supergroup "McBusted". Between April and June 2014, they performed 42 sold-out shows across the UK and Ireland, playing Busted and McFly's greatest hits. They also headlined British Summer Time in Hyde Park on 6 July. Due to the enormous success of the tour, it was reported that they could release new material together. During an interview on The Jonathan Ross Show in February 2014, Willis said: "We always said that we weren't going to say we were going to bring out music, because we didn't want to say that we were going to make music and it be terrible. But we went away, we did some writing and it wasn't terrible." In April, Judd revealed that they would be releasing an album. He told Capital FM, "We were thinking of going in the studio and properly laying something down before the tour started. We've had no time because of Tom [Fletcher] having his baby, the tour rehearsals and Matt's filming bits on EastEnders. Everyone has been so busy. It will happen after the tour. We'll be writing on the road and hopefully soon after the tour we'll get in the studio."
On 7 October 2014, Fletcher revealed that McBusted would be releasing their debut single "Air Guitar" on 23 November. Additionally, it was announced that they had been signed to Island Records, after a bidding war with Sony Music. Fletcher also posted a sneak preview of the song on his Instagram page. On 23 October, the band announced via Twitter that their debut album McBusted would be available to pre-order the following day, before its official release on 1 December. The album includes the songs "What Happened to Your Band", which Bourne wrote after the break-up of Busted, and "Hate Your Guts", which features Blink-182 bassist and vocalist, Mark Hoppus (who also wrote the track "Sensitive Guy"). The album also features appearances by All Time Low lead singer Alex Gaskarth and Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo. Regarding Hoppus, Fletcher said, "He'd been such a huge influence on our songwriting that to finally get in a room with him was so fun, if slightly surreal." "What Happened to Your Band" was released on 11 November 2014, with "Hate Your Guts" following one week later on 18 November 2014, both as promotional songs available to fans who had pre-ordered the album via iTunes.
The track 'What Happened to Your Band' had been written by Bourne years before the band or the album had been planned. The track was written about Busted's split, and was initially performed by Son of Dork on their Sic Tour (2007). It was planned for release of the deluxe edition of Welcome to Loserville, however the album never amounted and the edition on McBusted was the first released.
The second single to be taken from the album was the song "Get Over It". The single was released on 12 January 2015, reaching number 82 on the UK Singles Chart, failing to match the success of lead single "Air Guitar".
|The Arts Desk||Positive|
The album received mixed-to-positive reviews from critics. Lucy Bacon of MTV said "this talented bunch of boys have knocked their heads together and really delivered with their debut self-titled record", and called it "a perfectly blended combination of [McFly and Busted]". Jeremy Williams-Chalmers of So So Gay was more positive still, calling the album "an amazingly rounded debut", with a demonstration of an "ability to connect on more than one level that makes them such an excitingly addictive prospect".
On the other hand, Tim Jonze of The Guardian was less positive, asking if "perhaps a McBusted album that engaged seriously with the loss of mega-success would have made for a better listen", but still praised 'What Happened To Your Band' as "a harmony-drenched pop-punk number that makes post-fame despair seem oddly relatable."
|McBusted — Standard edition|
|1.||"Air Guitar"||Steve Robson • Jason Perry||3:19|
|2.||"Hate Your Guts" (featuring Mark Hoppus)||Steve Robson • Jason Perry||2:10|
|3.||"What Happened to Your Band"||Steve Robson • Jason Perry||3:57|
|4.||"Get Over It"||Steve Robson||3:30|
|5.||"Riding on My Bike"||Josh Wilkinson • Sam Miller||3:37|
|7.||"Sensitive Guy"||Steve Robson • Sam Miller||2:40|
|8.||"Beautiful Girls Are the Loneliest"||Steve Robson • Espionage||3:45|
|9.||"Before You Knew Me"||Matt Prime||3:45|
|10.||"Back in Time"||Steve Robson||2:57|
|11.||"How's My Hair"||Josh Wilkinson||4:06|
|12.||"Getting It Out"||Steve Robson||2:45|
|McBusted — Deluxe edition|
|14.||"In da Club"||Steve Robson||2:51|
|15.||"I See Red"||Josh Wilkinson||2:47|
|McBusted— Japanese edition|
|16.||"Air Hostess" (Live at the O2 Arena)||Bourne • Fletcher • Charlie Simpson|
|17.||"Obviously" (Live at the O2 Arena)||Bourne • Fletcher|
|18.||"You Said No" (Live at the O2 Arena)||Bourne • Willis • Simpson • Robson • John McLaughlin|
|19.||"Star Girl" (Live at the O2 Arena)||Fletcher • Jones • Perry • Poynter • Judd • Julian Emery • Daniel Carter|
Charts and certifications
|Germany||28 November 2014||Digital download||Island Records|
|France||1 December 2014|
- Moss, Liv (24 October 2014). "McBusted announce self-titled debut album". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- McGeorge, Alistair (11 November 2013). "McBusted: McFly and Busted become supergroup 2014 tour dates for supergroup". Daily Mirror. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Corner, Lewis (7 July 2014). "McBusted play biggest show of career at London's Hyde Park". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Eames, Tom (22 February 2014). "McBusted: 'We'd like Charlie Simpson to come back'". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Corner, Lewis (1 April 2014). "McBusted confirm plans to record new album: "It will happen"". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Duncan, Amy (8 October 2014). "Get ready to go WILD because McBusted have only gone and signed a record deal AND confirmed new single Air Guitar". Metro. DMG Media. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Renshaw, David (25 October 2014). "NME News McBusted confirm Blink-182, Weezer members appear on their debut album". NME. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Son of dork - What happened to your band". YouTube. Claire Cockett. 25 March 2007. Retrieved 30 December 2016.
- "CD:McBusted - McBusted". The Arts Desk. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "McBusted: McBusted album review - "Yet another success story"". Digital Spy.
- "McBusted: McBusted review – moments of unlikely sweetness, then lots of terrible jokes". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "McBusted - 'McBusted' First Listen! A True Supergroup Is Formed". MTV. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "Album Review: McBusted - 'McBusted'". sugarscape.com. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "'McBusted' Album Review: Everyone has their chance to shine on this new release". Unreality TV. Retrieved 30 November 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "McBusted by McBusted". iTunes. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- "McBusted - Album by McBusted". iTunes UK. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Amazon.co.jp: マクバステッド, 未定 : マクバステッド - 音楽". amazon.jp. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Australiancharts.com – McBusted – McBusted". Hung Medien. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "GFK Chart-Track Albums: Week 49, 2014". Chart-Track. IRMA.
- "Products - McBusted". Oricon. 14 February 2015. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Official Scottish Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100 - 2014". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "British album certifications – McBusted – McBusted". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 28 February 2015. Select albums in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Type McBusted in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "McBusted - Album by McBusted". iTunes Germany. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "McBusted - Album by McBusted". iTunes Ireland. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "McBusted - Album by McBusted". iTunes France. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "McBusted - Album by McBusted". iTunes Spain. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "McBusted - Album by McBusted". iTunes Australia. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "McBusted - Album by McBusted". iTunes New Zealand. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "McBusted - Album by McBusted". iTunes United States. Retrieved 13 June 2015.