|Founded||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia in 1993|
|Founder||Dick and Mac McDonald McDonald's restaurant concept;|
Ray Kroc, McDonald's Corporation founder;
|James A. Skinner|
(Chairman & CEO);
|Products||Coffee and Foods|
McCafé is a coffee-house-style food and beverage chain, owned by McDonald's. Conceptualised and launched in Melbourne, Australia in 1993 by McDonald's Licensee Ann Brown, and introduced to the public with help from McDonald's CEO Charlie Bell and then-Chairman and future CEO James Skinner, the chain reflects a consumer trend towards espresso coffees.
The McCafé concept was designed to help create atmosphere and foot-traffic at the entrance to the McDonalds stores at Swanston Street, Melbourne (a very large store with the front counter a considerable distance from the shop's entrance). The idea was developed between Charlie Bell and the local Regional Corporate team (David Bayes, Mike Tregurtha and Jim Vasiliadis). The first McCafe opened as a Corporate store in Melbourne, and not by a licensee as indicated above (Ann Brown was Brisbane based). The first one in the United States opened in Chicago, Illinois, in May 2001 when there were about 300 worldwide. In 2004 McCafé opened in Costa Rica and in France, and the next year, the concept was launched in Italy. In 2007, the chain expanded to Japan as part of McDonald's efforts to boost sales with healthier soup and sandwich offerings and reach out to new customers who favoured traditional coffee shops. Despite being a relatively small part of McDonald's overall strategy, there are currently 1,300 worldwide.
McCafé arrived In Paraguay in 2007.
In August 2008, McDonald's expanded their McCafé concept to South Africa, where the McDonald's franchise is already a household name and one of the largest fast-food chains in the country. At the end of 2009 McCafé drinks were available at McDonald's restaurants in the United States. McCafé opened in El Salvador on July 6, 2010, located in McDonald's restaurants in the Zona Rosa and Próceres Boulevard with the goal of providing the aroma, flavor and texture of 100% Salvadorian gourmet coffee.
McCafé opened in Madrid, Spain on June 28, 2008, located in McDonald's Montera restaurants.
In July 2010 the McCafé added real fruit smoothies to their drink list. In November 2010 they added mocha and hot chocolate to their drink list. In July 2011 they added Frozen Strawberry Lemonade and the Mango Pineapple Smoothie to the U.S. menu.
On November 7, 2011, McDonald's Canada launched McCafé across the nation after being available only in select stores prior to this announcement. With the introduction of McCafé in Canada, participating McDonald's stores have added mocha, cappuccino, espresso, americano, latte, iced latte, iced mocha and hot chocolate to their menus. With McCafé, McDonald's is now in direct competition with Coffee Time, Country Style, Second Cup, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, and Timothy's in the Canadian coffee market.
On June 16, 2012, McDonald's launched the first McCafé Malaysia in Kota Damansara, with a few others subsequently opening in the Bandar Utama, Subang Jaya, Titiwangsa, and Taman Connaught outlets - all currently located in Klang Valley as well as in Greenlane, Birch House, IJM Promenade and Penang International Airport - all in Penang.
In Turkey, McCafé operates under the name "McD Café". The first coffee shop opened in July 2012 at Sabiha Gökçen Airport. As of April 2016, there are 8 Mcd Cafés on the Asian side of Istanbul, 6 on the European side, 3 in Antalya, 2 each in Adana and Kocaeli, and one each in Afyonkarahisar, Aksaray, Ankara and Kırşehir.
In December 2012, McDonald's announced that it would be bringing the McCafé brand and line of products to all of the McDonald's restaurants in the United Kingdom. This would include the addition of iced frappés, iced fruit smoothies and a rebranding of the standard McDonald's coffee to "McCafé."
On October 14, 2013, McDonald's launched the first McCafé India in the South Mumbai area in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
McDonald's introduced a coffee line called "McCafé" nationwide in the United States. In August 2014, the company announced it was going to start to selling its coffee for home brewing in supermarkets across the United States. Manufactured and distributed in partnership with Kraft Foods, the coffee is currently available in prepackaged bags and K-Cups.
On March 20, 2018, the first McCafé in Minsk, Belarus was opened. Another McCafé opened its doors in Minsk on June 24, 2018, and one more was planned to open by the end of 2018.
- "McDonald's Opens First McCafe in U.S." Entrepreneur.com. 2001-05-14. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Danielle Veldre (2002-07-01). "McDonald's Brews Strong Push into Cafe Market". B&T. Archived from the original on August 11, 2005. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Bruce Horovitz (2003-05-20). "It's Back to Basics for McDonald's". USA Today. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Chris Rugaber (2001-04-30). "McDonald's Opens McCafe". The Motley Fool. Archived from the original on 2008-05-12. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Kanako Takahara (2007-08-30). "McCafe Aims for Slice of Coffee Shop Pie". Japan Times. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- "McDonald's Q1 2008 Earnings Call Transcript". Seeking Alpha. 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- "McDonald's® Canada accelerates beverage growth strategy with national launch of McCafé® brand".
- "McCafé® Canada Product Page".
- "McDonald's brews up anti-coffee snob ad blitz". Reuters. 2008-09-19. Archived from the original on 2008-09-20.
- "We're Lovin' McCafe: McDonald's to Sell Coffee in Supermarkets". nbcnews.com.
- "McCafé at Home :: McDonalds.com". www.mcdonalds.com.
- "McDonalds opens Canada's first standalone McCafe at Toronto's Union Station | Metro News". metronews.ca. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to McCafé.|