McClellan Magnet High School
|John L. McClellan High School|
9417 Geyer Springs Road
|School district||Little Rock School District|
|Number of students||819 (2015-16)|
|Team name||McClellan Crimson Lions|
|Website||McClellan High School website|
John L. McClellan High School is a high school in Little Rock, Arkansas, United States. McClellan High School serves students in grades nine through twelve and is part of the Little Rock School District.
In 1967, U.S. Senator John L. McClellan officially dedicated the school. In subsequent years, McClellan can boast of many successes such as being the Model Technology High School for the LRSD, a 1998 National Blue Ribbon School designation, and twice named the Top Business Education Program in the United States.
McClellan will be replaced by a new high school in southwest Little Rock that began construction in 2017.
The assumed course of study for McClellan students meets or exceeds the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) to complete 22 units prior to graduation. In 1991, principal Jodie T. Carter developed a community school model and its associated magnet program. The school is accredited by the ADE and since 1959, by AdvancED.
The McClellan High School mascot is the Crimson Lion, and the school colors are red, white, and blue. For 2012-14, the school participates in interscholastic activities in the 5A Central Conference administered by the Arkansas Activities Association (AAA). The McClellan Crimson Lions participate in baseball, basketball (boys/girls), football, soccer (boys), softball, tennis (boys/girls), track and field (boys/girls), and volleyball.
McClellan's basketball program has won seven conference titles, finished as state champion runner-up twice, and attended 18 consecutive state tournaments. The McClellan basketball program won the Class 5A state title in 2015. McClellan's track program has won several conference titles, including back-to-back titles in 2001 and 2002, finished as state runner-up, and also won a state title. In fall 2015, McClellan's football program played in the Class 5A state championship game for the first time since 1994, finishing as a state runner-up. McClellan is also home to the Arkansas winner of the Wendy's High School Heisman Award, Tiffany Gunn.
McClellan students can participate in 36 clubs and organizations as well as in band, choir, football, basketball, soccer, bowling, tennis, softball, cheerleading, flag line, and track.
- Jermain Taylor – professional boxing champion
- Keith Jackson Jr. – Pro football player
- Reggie Arnold – Arkansas State All-Conference football player
- Tyler Knight – Mississippi Valley State All-American football player
- Eric Steen – Jackson State All-American track and field runner
- "MCCLELLAN MAGNET HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Ground Broken On New High School In Southwest Little Rock". KUAR. 2017-10-03. Retrieved 2018-06-17.
- Educating the Masses: The Unfolding History of Black School Administrators in Arkansas, 1990–2000. University of Arkansas Press.
- "School Profile, John L. McClellan High School". AdvancED. Retrieved Sep 15, 2012.
- "School Profile, John L. McClellan High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved Sep 15, 2012.