McClintic Wildlife Management Area
|McClintic Wildlife Management Area|
North American beaver (Castor canadensis) may be found in the McClintic WMA
|Location||Mason, West Virginia, United States|
|Area||3,655 acres (14.79 km2)|
|Elevation||585 ft (178 m)|
|Operator||Wildlife Resources Section, WV Division of Natural Resources|
McClintic Wildlife Management Area, known locally as the "TNT area", is located in Mason County about 5 miles (8 km) north of Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Located on 3,655 acres (1,479 ha) of former wartime industrial land, the WMA is occupied by farmland, woodlands, and wetlands encompassing 31 ponds. The area still contains stored explosives.
Hunting and fishing
Hunting opportunities include deer, mourning dove, grouse, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, waterfowl, woodcock, and turkey. Special regulations for deer hunting have been established for the WMA to create a "trophy buck hunting" area. Only bucks with an antler spread of 14 inches (360 mm) or more may be taken in the WMA.
Fishing opportunities abound in the 29 ponds available for fishing and in the nearby Ohio River. Warmwater species fishing opportunities can include walleye, musky, tiger musky, channel catfish, hybrid striped bass, saugeye, sunfish, largemouth bass, and smallmouth bass.
Rustic camping is available seasonally in the WMA. A 100-yard (90 m) shooting range is also available.
- Animal conservation
- List of West Virginia wildlife management areas
- West Virginia Ordnance Works
- "McClintic Wildlife Management Area". Protected Planet. IUCN. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "McClintic WMA page". West Virginia DNR website. WV Division of Natural Resources. Retrieved 2008-11-13.
- Acme Mapper 2.0, McClintic WMA, retrieved November 13, 2008
- "TNT area photos". The Mothman Museum. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- UPDATE: Munitions Risk Closes Part of Wildlife Area Again (retrieved 9 February 2012)]
- John McCoy (2008-08-24). "'Trophy buck areas' begin growth phase". Charleston Gazette. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- Frank Jezioro (2008). "West Virginia 2008-2009 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Summary" (PDG). West Virginia Division of Natural Resources. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- "West Virginia Warmwater Hatchery Program". West Virginia DNR website. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources. Retrieved 2008-11-15.