McDowell High School (Marion, North Carolina)
|McDowell High School|
"Pathway to World Class Opportunities and Excellence"
|Marion, North Carolina|
|Principal||Edwin H. Spivey III|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue / Silver / Scarlet
|Mascot||The "Fightin'" Titan|
McDowell High School is a public high school located in the western North Carolina town of Marion. Known for its reputable NJROTC program, successful athletic teams, musical directors, and computer programming classes, the 4A school of approximately 1,700-1,800 students is the only high school in McDowell County. The school, built in 1971, has its own student-run newspaper, the Iliad, and literary magazine, The Muses (formerly known as the Aurora). McDowell High's yearbook finishes the trilogy of MHS publications, and is dubbed The Odyssey. Also there is now a T.V. show on YouTube entitled "MHS Titan News".
The first official performance of the McDowell High "Alma Mater" was on November 11, 1976, during a McDowell High School Band Concert. The first live performance of the McDowell High "Alma Mater" took place during a football game in the fall of 1976. The words were composed by Mrs. Alice Ostrom, a noted North Carolina poet, and Angela Israel, a student of Captain Ostrom. The musical score was composed by Capt. Ralph K. Ostrom, Ret. In addition to having served as band director at Marion High, Captain Ostrom studied with the United States Army Band and was director of the Tenth Division Band Training School.
McDowell County is an area that values athletics, and its citizens show large support for their "Fightin' Titans." McDowell High School is well known throughout the state of North Carolina for its consistent success in both men's and women's basketball. In the 2006-07 season, the Men's squad advanced to the final four in the state. The women's team won the NC 4A State Championship in the 1990-91 season, and were runners up in 2003-04.
- Greg Holland, 2004, Major League Baseball pitcher
- Sara McMann, 1998, Olympic Silver Medalist in 2004 freestyle wrestling; currently a professional mixed martial arts fighter competing in the UFC's bantamweight division
- Orlando Melendez, 1997, professional basketball player
- Dwayne Ledford, 1995, former NFL center
- "McDowell High grad and former teacher Edwin Spivey named new MHS principal". The McDowell News. 21 July 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- Hollifield, Landdis (8 June 2015). "Administrators, teachers discuss middle school transition". The McDowell News. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "McDowell High". Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- Jarrett, Keith (18 October 2014). "An October to remember for Greg Holland". Asheville Citizen-Times. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Crasnick, Jerry (22 July 2013). "Greg Holland ready to star". ESPN.com. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Fowlkes, Ben (12 February 2014). "Olympics paved McMann's road to title shot". USA Today. Asheville Citizen-Times. Retrieved 18 October 2014. (subscription required (. ))
- "Sara McMann UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- Hammann, Joshua (14 October 2008). "Melendez adds a new country to Globetrotters' resume". ESPN.com. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Dwayne Ledford". The Pro Football Archives. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "MHS to induct sixth Hall of Fame class". The McDowell News. 2 January 2014. Retrieved 18 October 2014.