McFarland in 1940
|Incorporated||July 18, 1957|
|• State Senator||Melissa Hurtado (D)|
|• State Assembly||Rudy Salas (D)|
|• U. S. Congress||TJ Cox (D)|
|• Total||2.67 sq mi (6.91 km2)|
|• Land||2.67 sq mi (6.91 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||354 ft (108 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||5,811.84/sq mi (2,243.93/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature IDs||1652750, 2411062|
McFarland (formerly, Hunt and Lone Pine) is a city in the San Joaquin Valley, in Kern County, California, United States. McFarland is located 25 miles (40 km) north-northwest of Bakersfield and 6.5 miles (10 km) south of Delano, at an elevation of 354 feet (108 m). The population of McFarland was 22,707 at the 2010 census and an estimated 29,506 as of 2019.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
McFarland visited Kern County in 1907 and was impressed with the land's crop growing potential near a community called Hunt's Siding, which was a small agriculture and livestock based community that served about 50 families. With help from Bakersfield real estate businessman William Laird, McFarland bought 50 acres at the location of what is now McFarland.
The first post office opened in 1908. The town was founded in 1909 (and later became incorporated in 1957). McFarland grew tremendously during the Great Depression of the 1930s, then the population tapered off during World War II.
In 1950, Highway 99 (then U.S. Route 99), the major corridor of the Central Valley, was constructed, which ended up dividing the town into an east side and west side. McFarland incorporated as a city in the summer of 1957. The name honors J.B. McFarland, the city's founder.
In 2009 the city re-established its police force after decades of relying on the Kern County Sheriff.
In 2015, the movie McFarland USA was released, based on a true story that occurred at McFarland High School. McFarland USA follows the McFarland Cross Country team and their coach Jim White (portrayed by Kevin Costner). The cross country team would go on to win 9 state titles.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
According to Data USA, the demographics of McFarland in 2016 were as follows:
- Population: 13,391 (up 2.79%)
- Median Age: 25.6 years
- Median Household Income: $33,687 (down 1.01%)
- Poverty Rate: 37.7%
- Employment Count: 4,298 (up 1.66%)
- Median Property Value: $136,700 (up 13.7%)
(all changes relative to 2015)
At the 2010 census McFarland had a population of 12,707. The population density was 4,762.7 people per square mile (1,838.9/km2). The racial makeup of McFarland was 5,433 (42.8%) White, 236 (1.9%) African American, 171 (1.3%) Native American, 84 (0.7%) Asian, 6 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 6,330 (49.8%) from other races, and 447 (3.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11,625 people (91.5%).
The census reported that 11,486 people (90.4% of the population) lived in households, 27 (0.2%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 1,194 (9.4%) were institutionalized.
There were 2,599 households, 1,818 (69.9%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 1,663 (64.0%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 456 (17.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 246 (9.5%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 189 (7.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 14 (0.5%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 170 households (6.5%) were one person and 71 (2.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 or older. The average household size was 4.42. There were 2,365 families (91.0% of households); the average family size was 4.51.
The age distribution was 4,468 people (35.2%) under the age of 18, 1,700 people (13.4%) aged 18 to 24, 4,030 people (31.7%) aged 25 to 44, 1,925 people (15.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 584 people (4.6%) who were 65 or older. The median age was 25.7 years. For every 100 females, there were 128.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 142.4 males.
There were 2,683 housing units at an average density of 1,005.6 per square mile, of the occupied units 1,488 (57.3%) were owner-occupied and 1,111 (42.7%) were rented. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0.9%; the rental vacancy rate was 2.6%. 6,519 people (51.3% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 4,967 people (39.1%) lived in rental housing units.
At the 2000 census there were 9,618 people in 1,990 households, including 1,789 families, in the city. The population density was 4,671.8 people per square mile (1,802.7/km2). There were 2,031 housing units at an average density of 986.5 per square mile (380.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 28.49% White, 3.19% Black or African American, 1.63% Native American, 0.69% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 61.23% from other races, and 4.69% from two or more races. 85.66% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. Of the 1,990 households 61.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.4% were married couples living together, 17.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.1% were non-families. 7.7% of households were one person and 4.7% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 4.30 and the average family size was 4.45.
The age distribution was 35.1% under the age of 18, 14.1% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 12.8% from 45 to 64, and 4.8% 65 or older. The median age was 25 years. For every 100 females, there were 132.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 151.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $12,821, and the median family income was $14,190. Males had a median income of $19,881 versus $9,109 for females. The per capita income for the city was $9,524. About 34.1% of families and 35.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.1% of those under age 18 and 12.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Arturo J. Munoz Park
- Ritchey Park
- McFarland Park
- Browning Road Park
- Blanco Park
- Kern Avenue Elementary School
- Browning Road Elementary School
- McFarland Middle School
- McFarland High School
- San Joaquin High School (continuation)
- McFarland Independent School
- Horizon Elementary
- Sherwood Avenue Baptist Church
- Saint Elizabeth Catholic Church
- El Buen Pastor Church
- Iglesia Ni Cristo
- Jehovah's Witnesses 124
- Church of the Living Savior
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Mcfarland Apostolic Assembly
- CrossPointe Baptist Church McFarland
AM radio stations
- KERI (1180 AM; 50 kW; WASCO-GREENACRES, CA; Owner: KWSO, INC.)
- KCHJ (1010 AM; 5 kW; DELANO, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- KNZR (1560 AM; 25 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORP. OF CALIF.)
- KMJ (580 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KWRU (940 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA)
- KUZZ (550 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY)
- KGET (970 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- KGDP (660 AM; 50 kW; ORCUTT, CA; Owner: RADIO REPRESENTATIVES, INC.)
- KAFY (1100 AM; 4 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: KAFY, INC.)
- KIRN (670 AM; 35 kW; SIMI VALLEY, CA; Owner: LOTUS OXNARD CORP.)
- KSPN (710 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: KABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- KLAC (570 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KMAP (1050 AM; 10 kW; FRAZIER PARK, CA; Owner: KMAP, INC.)
FM radio stations
- K266AH (101.1 FM; BENA, CA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KTQX (90.1 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: RADIO BILINGUE, INC.)
- KZPO (103.3 FM; LINDSAY, CA; Owner: LINDSAY BROADCASTING)
- KMQA (100.5 FM; EAST PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: MOON BROADCASTING PORTERVILLE L.L.C.)
- KKBB (99.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KDUV (88.9 FM; VISALIA, CA; Owner: COMMUNITY EDUCATIONAL B/CASTNG, INC.)
- KDFO-FM (98.5 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KKDJ (105.3 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- K293AG (106.5 FM; TAFT, CA; Owner: CENTRO CRISTIANO DE FE, INC.)
- KJUG-FM (106.7 FM; TULARE, CA; Owner: WESTCOAST BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K220EY (91.9 FM; PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KIWI (102.9 FM; MCFARLAND, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- KUFW (90.5 FM; WOODLAKE, CA; Owner: NATIONAL FARM WORKERS SERVICE CENTER)
- KMYX-FM (92.5 FM; ARVIN, CA; Owner: FARMWORKER EDUC. RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KGZO (90.9 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY EDUCATION, INC.)
- KFRB (91.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KUZZ-FM (107.9 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY, INC)
- KISV (94.1 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: AMERICAN GENERAL MEDIA CORP.)
- KGFM (101.5 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: LAGNIAPPE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSMJ (97.7 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF CALIFORNIA)
TV broadcast stations
- KTRO-LP (Channel 50; LANCASTER, CA; Owner: ROBERT D. ADELMAN)
- KPMC-LP (Channel 42; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: GARY M. COCOLA FAMILY TRUST)
- "California Cities by Incorporation Date". California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions. Archived from the original (Word) on November 3, 2014. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "California's 21st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 1, 2020.
- "McFarland". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. p. 1069-1070. ISBN 1-884995-14-4.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): McFarland city, California". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 24, 2019.[dead link]
- Rusch, Katey; Du Sault, Laurence (2019-11-11). "How did this California police department hire so many officers with troubling pasts?". The Mercury News. Retrieved 2019-12-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Data USA McFarland, CA". Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA - McFarland city". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 15, 2014. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "City-data - McFarland-California". analyzed data from numerous sources. Retrieved March 17, 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to McFarland, California.|