|City of McFarland|
|Incorporated||July 18, 1957|
|• State Senator||Andy Vidak (R)|
|• State Assembly||Rudy Salas (D)|
|• U. S. Congress||David Valadao (R)|
|• Total||2.67 sq mi (6.92 km2)|
|• Land||2.67 sq mi (6.92 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||354 ft (108 m)|
|• Estimate (2017)||15,093|
|• Density||5,451.27/sq mi (2,104.71/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature IDs||1652750, 2411062|
McFarland (formerly, Hunt and Lone Pine) is a city in the San Joaquin Valley, in Kern County, California, United States. McFarland is located 25 miles (40 km) north-northwest of Bakersfield and 6.5 miles (10 km) south of Delano, at an elevation of 354 feet (108 m). The population of McFarland, as of 2018, is 21,374.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
McFarland visited Kern County in 1907 and was impressed with the land's crop growing potential near a community called Hunt's Siding, which was a small agriculture and livestock based community that served about 50 families. With help from Bakersfield real estate businessman William Laird, McFarland bought 50 acres at the location of what is now McFarland.
The town was founded in 1909 and later became incorporated in the summer of 1957. McFarland grew tremendously during the Great Depression of the 1930s, then the population tapered off during World War II.
In 1950, Highway 99, the major corridor of the Central Valley, was constructed, which ended up dividing the town into an east side and west side. The first post office opened in 1908. McFarland incorporated in 1957. The name honors J.B. McFarland, founder. In 2015, the movie McFarland USA was released; based on a true story that occurred in McFarland High School. "McFarland" follows high school coach Jim White (Kevin Costner), whose job-hopping leads him to predominantly Latino McFarland High School, located in an agricultural community in California's farm-rich San Joaquin Valley.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
POPULATION 13,391, 2.79% GROWTH. MEDIAN AGE, 25.6. MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME $33,687, 1.01% DECLINE. POVERTY RATE 37.7%. NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES 4,298, 1.66% GROWTH. MEDIAN PROPERTY VALUE $136,700, 13.7% GROWTH. 
The 2010 United States Census reported that McFarland had a population of 12,707. The population density was 4,762.7 people per square mile (1,838.9/km²). The racial makeup of McFarland was 5,433 (42.8%) White, 236 (1.9%) African American, 171 (1.3%) Native American, 84 (0.7%) Asian, 6 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 6,330 (49.8%) from other races, and 447 (3.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11,625 people (91.5%).
The Census reported that 11,486 people (90.4% of the population) lived in households, 27 (0.2%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 1,194 (9.4%) were institutionalized.
There were 2,599 households, out of which 1,818 (69.9%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 1,663 (64.0%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 456 (17.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 246 (9.5%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 189 (7.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 14 (0.5%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 170 households (6.5%) were made up of individuals and 71 (2.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.42. There were 2,365 families (91.0% of all households); the average family size was 4.51.
The population was spread out with 4,468 people (35.2%) under the age of 18, 1,700 people (13.4%) aged 18 to 24, 4,030 people (31.7%) aged 25 to 44, 1,925 people (15.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 584 people (4.6%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 25.7 years. For every 100 females, there were 128.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 142.4 males.
There were 2,683 housing units at an average density of 1,005.6 per square mile (388.3/km²), of which 1,488 (57.3%) were owner-occupied, and 1,111 (42.7%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0.9%; the rental vacancy rate was 2.6%. 6,519 people (51.3% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 4,967 people (39.1%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,618 people, 1,990 households, and 1,789 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,671.8 people per square mile (1,802.7/km²). There were 2,031 housing units at an average density of 986.5 per square mile (380.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 28.49% White, 3.19% Black or African American, 1.63% Native American, 0.69% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 61.23% from other races, and 4.69% from two or more races. 85.66% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,990 households out of which 61.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.4% were married couples living together, 17.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.1% were non-families. 7.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.30 and the average family size was 4.45.
In the city, the population was spread out with 35.1% under the age of 18, 14.1% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 12.8% from 45 to 64, and 4.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 25 years. For every 100 females, there were 132.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 151.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $12,821, and the median income for a family was $14,190. Males had a median income of $19,881 versus $9,109 for females. The per capita income for the city was $9,524. About 34.1% of families and 35.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.1% of those under age 18 and 12.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Arturo J. Munoz Park
- Ritchey Park
- McFarland Park
- Browning Road Park
- Kern Avenue Elementary School
- Browning Road Elementary School
- McFarland Middle School
- McFarland High School
- San Joaquin High School (continuation)
- McFarland Independent School
- Horizon Elementary
- Sherwood Avenue Baptist Church
- Saint Elizabeth Catholic Church
- El Buen Pastor Church
- Iglesia Ni Cristo
- Jehovah's Witnesses 124
- Church of the Living Savior
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Mcfarland Apostolic Assembly
AM radio stations
- KERI (1180 AM; 50 kW; WASCO-GREENACRES, CA; Owner: KWSO, INC.)
- KCHJ (1010 AM; 5 kW; DELANO, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- KNZR (1560 AM; 25 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORP. OF CALIF.)
- KMJ (580 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KWRU (940 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA)
- KUZZ (550 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY)
- KGET (970 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- KGDP (660 AM; 50 kW; ORCUTT, CA; Owner: RADIO REPRESENTATIVES, INC.)
- KAFY (1100 AM; 4 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: KAFY, INC.)
- KIRN (670 AM; 35 kW; SIMI VALLEY, CA; Owner: LOTUS OXNARD CORP.)
- KSPN (710 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: KABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- KLAC (570 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KMAP (1050 AM; 10 kW; FRAZIER PARK, CA; Owner: KMAP, INC.)
FM radio stations
- K266AH (101.1 FM; BENA, CA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KTQX (90.1 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: RADIO BILINGUE, INC.)
- KZPO (103.3 FM; LINDSAY, CA; Owner: LINDSAY BROADCASTING)
- KMQA (100.5 FM; EAST PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: MOON BROADCASTING PORTERVILLE L.L.C.)
- KKBB (99.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KDUV (88.9 FM; VISALIA, CA; Owner: COMMUNITY EDUCATIONAL B/CASTNG, INC.)
- KDFO-FM (98.5 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KKDJ (105.3 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- K293AG (106.5 FM; TAFT, CA; Owner: CENTRO CRISTIANO DE FE, INC.)
- KJUG-FM (106.7 FM; TULARE, CA; Owner: WESTCOAST BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K220EY (91.9 FM; PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KIWI (102.9 FM; MCFARLAND, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- KUFW (90.5 FM; WOODLAKE, CA; Owner: NATIONAL FARM WORKERS SERVICE CENTER)
- KMYX-FM (92.5 FM; ARVIN, CA; Owner: FARMWORKER EDUC. RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KGZO (90.9 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY EDUCATION, INC.)
- KFRB (91.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KUZZ-FM (107.9 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY, INC)
- KISV (94.1 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: AMERICAN GENERAL MEDIA CORP.)
- KGFM (101.5 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: LAGNIAPPE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSMJ (97.7 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF CALIFORNIA)
TV broadcast stations
- KTRO-LP (Channel 50; LANCASTER, CA; Owner: ROBERT D. ADELMAN)
- KPMC-LP (Channel 42; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: GARY M. COCOLA FAMILY TRUST)
- "California Cities by Incorporation Date". California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions. Archived from the original (Word) on November 3, 2014. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "California's 21st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- "McFarland". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. p. 1069-1070. ISBN 1-884995-14-4.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Data USA McFarland, CA".
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA - McFarland city". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "City-data - McFarland-California". analyzed data from numerous sources. Retrieved March 17, 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to McFarland, California.|