|No. of offices||21|
|No. of attorneys||1000+|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Founder||Egbert R. Watson|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
McGuireWoods traces its origins to two lawyers, Egbert R. Watson and Murray Mason McGuire. In 1834, Watson opened a law office in Charlottesville, VA. In 1870, he formed a partnership with his son-in-law, George Perkins in what would become Perkins, Battle & Minor.
In 1897, McGuire started practicing law in Richmond, VA. He was joined by John Stewart Bryan in 1898 and the two formed McGuire & Bryan. In the 1960s, the firm became McGuire, Woods, King, Davis & Patterson.
In 1966, Charlottesville’s Battle, Neal, Harris, Minor & Williams merged with Richmond’s McGuire, Woods, King, Davis & Patterson to create McGuire, Woods & Battle. In 1987, the firm merged with Boothe, Prichard & Dudley to create McGuire, Woods, Battle & Boothe.
In 2015, the firm entered into an alliance with FuJae Partners, a Shanghai-based law firm and opened a second office in Los Angeles. In 2016, the firm opened an office in San Francisco. As of 2019, the firm has 21 offices worldwide.
In December 2017, Richard Cullen stepped down as chairman of McGuireWoods and partner Jonathan Harmon became the firm’s new chairman. In 2019, Richard Davis was hired as the new chief operating officer.
Current McGuireWoods Lawyers and/or Consultants with McGuireWoods Consulting (MWC)
- Richard Cullen
- John Adams
- George Terwilliger
- Andrew G. McBride
- Former Gov. Jim Hodges
- Laura Fornash (MWC)
- "McGuireWoods law firm hires new chief operating officer". Richmond Times Dispatch. 2019-10-01.
- "McGuireWoods (1834)". The Daily Progress. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- "McGuireWoods". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- "Major Va. law firm coming to Baltimore McGuire, Woods to merge with Cable, McDaniel as of Nov. 1". Baltimore Sun. October 3, 1991.
- "Former U.S. Ambassador to Australia William C. Battle dies". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 2020-04-30.
- "McGuireWoods merger part of 'ongoing strategy'". Washington Business Journal. Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- "Gordon & Glickson Merges With McGuireWoods". 2006-01-19. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- "Seeking China Beachhead, McGuireWoods Inks Shanghai Deal". Law.com. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- "McGuireWoods expands in LA with Integer Law deal". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- "Jon Harmon to lead troops as chairman at McGuireWoods as Cullen steps down from role". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 2020-05-13.
- "McGuireWoods names new COO". Virginia Business. 2019-10-01. Retrieved 2020-05-22.
- "Richard Cullen to step down as McGuireWoods chairman but continue law practice". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
- "John Adams, the political opposite of Attorney General Mark Herring, wants his job". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
- "WV gov. hires former US acting AG for residency lawsuit". Charleston Gazette. Retrieved 2020-05-11.
- Russell-Kraft, Stephanie. "McGuireWoods Nabs White Collar Litigator From Perkins Coie". Bloomberg Law. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- "The 50 Most Influential People In Columbia". Columbia Business Monthly. Retrieved 2020-05-28.
- "Handshake's latest update lets James Madison University students search for jobs and internships".