McKay McKinnon is an American physician specializing in plastic surgery. He works at Saint Joseph Hospital in Chicago, Illinois and also at Lurie Children’s Hospital and the University of Chicago Medical Center. He graduated medical school at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. He completed his general surgery residency at Harvard University and his plastic surgery residency at the University of Miami.
Tumor removal surgeries
In 2000, McKinnon treated a woman with a large tumor disorder in Michigan. He successfully removed a 200-pound tumor in an 18-hour operation that drew worldwide attention, according to USA Today.
In 2004, McKinnon offered his services and traveled on a special mission to Romania. Along with 12 other doctors, he performed a 10-hour operation and removed an 80-pound tumor from a 47-year-old woman that suffers from a genetic disorder causing tumors to grow on her body, according to BBC news.
He has led a mission to Choluteca, Honduras where he performs cleft lip and palate surgery. Over the years, more than 500 children have received treatment at no cost. McKinnon was asked to lead the service and says the children are grateful to be given the health treatment.
In 2011, on request of US 501(c) Tree of Life International, Sam-Ottawa of Canada-based Virtual Medical Miracle Network (VM2N) connected Dr McKinnon to Nguyen Duy Hai of Dalat Lam Dong, Vietnam, who suffered from a non-cancerous tumor weighing 198-pound (90 kg), which was growing on the right leg. A successful 12-hour operation was performed at France-Vietnam Hospital in Saigon on January 5, 2012. McKinnon waived his fee, and other costs were funded through donations. Two other cases of tumors were also operated on at Saigon Cho Ray Hospital on January 6 and 7, 2012. Since then, Dr and Mrs McKinnon have been back to Vietnam 5 times, to perform many other difficult tumor cases, sort of given up by Vietnamese surgeons, and best of all to teach and share expertise. VinaCapital Foundation, a US 501(c) organization, a partner of VM2N, handles all travel arrangements for Dr McKinnon Tumor Mercy Missions in Vietnam.
In October 2012, McKinnon was featured in the television program My Giant Face Tumor on the TLC Network. In the program, he successfully removed large facial tumors from two patients, one in Ohio and the other in Thailand, who suffer from neurofibromatosis.
- "Bio: McKay McKinnon, MD - Children's Memorial Hospital (Chicago, IL)". Childrensmemorial.org. Archived from the original on 2011-07-25. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- 680 North Lake Shore Drive. "Dr. Mckay Mckinnon, MD, Chicago, IL - Plastic Surgery". Healthgrades.com. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "Super Surgery: 200 Pound Tumor (TV 2002) - IMDb". Us.imdb.com. 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "Health | Giant tumor removed from woman". BBC News. 2004-01-22. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "Giant Tumor Successfully Removed". CBS News. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "Megatumour - 11 stone parasite". Mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk. 2008-07-15. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "Cirujano de Clase Mundial Cambia Vidas". Extra News. Retrieved 2011-08-06.[permanent dead link]
- "Vietnamese man has massive 200-lb tumor removed from leg". Retrieved 2018-05-05.
- ""My Giant Face Tumor" Makes Neurofibromatosis Personal". TLC NewNow. Discovery.com. October 9, 2012. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- Associated Press (January 22, 2004). "Operation to remove 176-pound tumor is successful". USA Today. Retrieved January 1, 2012.