McKell ministry (1941–44)
The McKell ministry (1941–1944) or First McKell ministry was the 50th ministry of the New South Wales Government, and was led by the 27th Premier, the Honourable William McKell, MLA, of the Australian Labor Party. The ministry was the first of two occasions when the Government was led by McKell, as Premier.
McKell was first elected to the New South Wales Legislative Assembly in 1917 and served continuously until 1947, when he resigned to become the 12th Governor-General of Australia. Having served as a junior minister in the first and third ministries of Jack Lang, during the 1930s McKell came to oppose Lang's dictatorial rule and critical of electoral failures. In 1939 McKell displaced Lang as Labor leader and NSW Leader of the Opposition.
Composition of ministry
The composition of the ministry was announced by Premier McKell on 16 May 1941 and covers the full term of government, until 8 June 1944. Ministers are listed in order of seniority.
|Portfolio||Minister||Party||Term commence||Term end||Term of office|
|Hon. William McKell, MLA||Labor||16 May 1941||8 June 1944||3 years, 23 days|
Secretary for Mines
|Hon. Jack Baddeley, MLA|
|Minister for National Emergency Services||Hon. Bob Heffron, MLA|
|Attorney–General||Hon. Captain Clarrie Martin, MEc, LLB, AAlS|
|Minister for Agriculture and Forests||Hon. Captain Bill Dunn, MLA|
|Minister of Education||Hon. Clive Evatt, KC, LLB, MLA|
|Minister for Labour and Industry and Social Services||Hon. Hamilton Knight, MLA|
|Minister for Justice
Vice-President of the Executive Council
Representative of the Government in Legislative Council
|Hon. Reg Downing, MLC|
|Secretary for Public Works||Hon. Joseph Cahill, MLA|
|Minister for Health||Hon. Gus Kelly, MLA|
|Minister for Local Government and Housing||Hon. Jim McGirr, MLA|
|Minister for Lands||Hon. Jack Tully, MLA|
|Minister for Transport||Hon. Maurice O'Sullivan, MLA|
|Assistant Minister||Hon. Carlo Lazzarini, MLA|
|Hon. William Dickson, MLC|
- William McKell - 27th Premier of New South Wales
- Second McKell ministry
- Members of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, 1941-1944
- Clune, David (2011). "The life and times of William McKell". The McKell Institute. Retrieved 24 March 2012.
- "Former Members - Chronological List of Ministries 1856 to 2009 (requires download)". Project for the Sesquicentenary of Responsible Government in NSW. Parliament of New South Wales. Archived from the original (Excel spreadsheet) on 15 March 2011. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- Wah, Malvyne Jong; Page, Jeffrey E. (November 2007). "New South Wales Parliamentary Record 1824 – 2007" (PDF). VIII. Parliament of New South Wales: 276. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
|McKell ministry (1941–1944)
McKell ministry (1944–1947)