McKinley Vocational High School
|McKinley Vocational High School|
McKinley Vocational High School
Celebrating 100 Years Through Training
|1500 Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo, New York, Erie, 14207
|Principal||Crystal A. Boling-Barton|
|Acting Assistant Principal||Marck Abraham|
|Assistant principals||Molly M. Allman-Forero
Daniel J. Bass
|Acting Dean of Students||Valerie Williams|
|Website||McKinley High School|
McKinley Vocational High School is a public high school in Buffalo, New York. The school is located at 1500 Elmwood Avenue, and serves about 800 students from Grades 9 - 12. The current principal is Mrs. Crystal Barton, and the current assistant principals are Mr. Daniel Bass and Mrs. Molly Allman, and the current acting assistant principal is Mr. Marck Abraham.
McKinley was formed in 1910 as Black Rock Vocational School. It moved into its current address on Elmwood in 1923, which formerly had housed the Buffalo Orphan's Asylum. The current building was completed in 1969. The school is named for former United States President William McKinley, who was assassinated just a few blocks away from where the school in 1901.
In 2010, the building began undergoing extensive renovations to add more classroom space and expand its vocational programs. The ninth graders were housed at the former School 56 until renovations were completed on the McKinley building. McKinley was re-opened to all students in Fall 2012.
Previous assignment and reason for departure denoted in parentheses
- Mr. Samuel F. King–1923-1934 (Principal - Black Rock Vocational School, retired)
- Mr. Robert S. Hoole–1934-1953 (Vice Principal - Seneca Vocational High School, retired)
- Mr. Ferdinand E. Kampreth–1953-1965 (Vice Principal - McKinley Vocational High School, retired)
- Mr. Albert B. Buck–1965-1972 (Vice Principal - Emerson Vocational High School, unknown)
- Mr. James F. Harmon–1972-1984 (Principal - Woodlawn Junior High School, named Principal of Burgard Vocational High School)
- Mr. Ronald J. Meer–1984-1987 (Central Office Administrator - Buffalo Public Schools, named Principal of Leonardo da Vinci High School)
Selected former assistant principals
Previous assignment and reasons for departure listed in parentheses
- Mr. Julius Thursuck
- Mr. Ferdinand Kamprath–1948-1953 (Administrative Assistant - McKinley Vocational High SChool, named Principal of McKinley Vocational High School)
- Dr. Joseph C. Delhury–1955-1967 (Guidance Counselor - McKinley Vocational High School, retired)
- Mr. Alfonso Cacciatore–1964-1970 (Industrial Arts teacher - Hutchinson Central Technical High School, named Vice Principal of Seneca Vocational High School)
- Mr. Jack S. Saccomando
- Mr. William J. Losel
- Mr. Anthony E. Leone–1972-1984 (Science teacher - Emerson Vocational High School, named Assistant Principal of Hutchinson Central Technical High School)
- Mr. William J. Bell–1984-1988 (Assistant Principal - South Park High School, named Assistant Principal of Buffalo Alternative High School)
- Mr. Daniel J. Manley–1984-1987 (unknown, named Assistant Principal of Grover Cleveland High School)
- Mr. Daniel Krzesinski–1987-1990 (Assistant Principal - Kensington High School, name Assistant Principal of Kensington Prep)
- Mr. William F. Riley–1988-2007 (Assistant Principal - Buffalo Alternative High School, retired)
- Mrs. Patricia D. Preston–1990-1995 (Math teacher - McKinley Vocational High School, named Assistant Principal of Buffalo Vocational Technical Center)
- Ms. Theresa R. Pope–1995-2001 (Assistant Principal - City Honors High School, retired)
- Mr. Gary M. Tydus–2001-2005 (unknown, named Assistant Principal of East High School)
- Mr. Larry Hunley–2002-2005 (Assistant Principal - Buffalo Vocational Technical Center, placed on sick leave and named Assistant Principal of Seneca Vocational High School))
- Ms. Naomi Cerre [interim]–2002-2004 (AIS Coordinator - McKinley Vocational High School, named Assistant Principal of Grover Cleveland High School)
- Ms. Jody J. Covington–2004-2005 (Assistant Principal - Waterfront Elementary, named Assistant Principal of Academy School 131 @ 44)
- Mr. Gary Tydus–2006-2010 (Assistant Principal - East High School, retired)
- Mrs. Phyllis F. Morrell–2007-2008 (Principal - Stanton Academy, named Principal of Lafayette High School)
- Mrs. Naomi R. Cerre–2010-2011 (Assistant Principal - East High School, named Interim Principal of Lafayette High School)
- Mrs. Charlene D. Watson–2011-2015 (Business teacher - Buffalo Public Schools, named Principal of Burgard High School)
- Mr. Carlos J. Villaroel–2007-2014 (Assistant Principal - Frank A. Sedita Academy, named Interim Principal of Harvey Austin School)
|Year||Superintendent||Principal||Asst. Principal||Asst. Principal||Asst. Principal|
|1952-1953||Parmer Ewing||Bob Hoole||Ferd Kampreth|
|1953-1954||Parmer Ewing||Bob Hoole||Ferd Kampreth|
|1954-1955||Parmer Ewing||Bob Hoole||Ferd Kampreth|
|1955-1956||Parmer Ewing||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery|
|1956-1957||Parmer Ewing||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery|
|1957-1958||Joseph Mench||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery|
|1958-1959||Joseph Mench||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery|
|1959-1960||Joseph Mench||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery|
|1960-1961||Joseph Mench||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery|
|1961-1962||Joseph Mench||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery|
|1962-1963||Joseph Mench||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery|
|1963-1964||Joseph Mench||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery|
|1964-1965||Joseph Mench||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery||Al Cacciatore|
|1965-1966||Joseph Mench||Ferd Kampreth||Joe Deluhery||Al Cacciatore|
|1965-1966||Joseph Mench||Al Buck||Joe Deluhery||Al Cacciatore|
|1966-1967||Joseph Mench||Al Buck||Joe Deluhery||Al Cacciatore|
|1968-1969||Joseph Mench||Al Buck||Bill Losel||Al Cacciatore|
|1969-1970||Joseph Mench||Al Buck||Bill Losel||Al Cacciatore|
|1970-1971||Joseph Mench||Al Buck||Tony Leone||Al Cacciatore|
|1971-1972||Joseph Mench||Al Buck||Tony Leone|
|1972-1973||Joseph Mench||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1973-1974||Joseph Mench||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1974-1975||Joseph Mench||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1975-1976||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1976-1977||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1977-1978||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1978-1979||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1979-1980||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1980-1981||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1981-1982||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1982-1983||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1983-1984||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Tony Leone|
|1984-1985||Eugene Reville||Ron Meer||Bill Bell||Dan Manley|
|1985-1986||Eugene Reville||Ron Meer||Bill Bell||Dan Manley|
|1986-1987||Eugene Reville||Ron Meer||Bill Bell||Dan Manley|
|1987-1988||Eugene Reville||Crystal Boling||Bill Bell||Dan Krzesinski|
|1988-1989||Eugene Reville||Crystal Boling||Bill Riley||Dan Krzesinski|
|1989-1990||Albert Thompson*||Crystal Boling||Bill Riley||Dan Krzesinski|
|1990-1991||Albert Thompson||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Pat Preston|
|1991-1992||Albert Thompson||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Pat Preston|
|1992-1993||Albert Thompson||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Pat Preston|
|1993-1994||Albert Thompson||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Pat Preston|
|1994-1995||Albert Thompson||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Pat Preston|
|1995-1996||Albert Thompson||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Theresa Pope|
|1996-1997||Jim Harris||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Theresa Pope|
|1997-1998||Jim Harris||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Theresa Pope|
|1998-1999||Jim Harris||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Theresa Pope|
|1999-2000||Jim Harris||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Theresa Pope|
|2000-2001||Marion Canedo||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Theresa Pope|
|2001-2002||Marion Canedo||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Gary Tydus*|
|2002-2003||Marion Canedo||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Gary Tydus||Larry Hunley|
|2003-2004||Marion Canedo||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Gary Tydus||Hunley/Cerre*|
|2004-2005||Yvonne Hargrave||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Gary Tydus||Jody Covington|
|2005-2006||James Williams||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley|
|2006-2007||James Williams||Crystal Barton||Bill Riley||Gary Tydus|
|2007-2008||James Williams||Crystal Barton||Carlos Villarroel||Gary Tydus||Fatima Morrell|
|2008-2009||James Williams||Crystal Barton||Carlos Villarroel||Gary Tydus|
|2009-2010||James Williams||Crystal Barton||Carlos Villarroel||Gary Tydus|
|2010-2011||James Williams||Crystal Barton||Carlos Villarroel||Naomi Cerre|
|2011-2012||Amber Dixon*||Crystal Barton||Carlos Villarroel||Charlene Watson||Molly Allman|
|2012-2013||Pamela Brown||Crystal Barton||Carlos Villarroel||Charlene Watson||Molly Allman|
|2013-2014||Pamela Brown||Crystal Barton||Carlos Villarroel||Charlene Watson||Molly Forero|
|2014-2015||Don Ogilvie*||Crystal Barton||Dan Bass||Charlene Watson||Marck Abraham*|
* Denotes interim appointment
McKinley offers Regents level courses as required by New York State. McKinley's curriculum includes a career and technical component in classes such as Advertising Art, Aquatic Ecology, Horticulture, Machine Tool Technology, Printing, and four Building Trades: Electrical Technology, Carpentry, Plumbing, and Sheet Metal Technology.
Mckinley Vocational High School made AYP in 2008. Under No Child Left Behind, a school makes Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if it achieves the minimum levels of improvement determined by the state of New York in terms of student performance and other accountability measures. .
In 2007, McKinley Vocational High School had 14 students for every full-time equivalent teacher. The New York average is 14 students per full-time equivalent teacher.
- Goo Goo Dolls lead singer and guitarist John Rzeznik attended McKinley, graduating in 1983.
- Paralyzed Veterans of America first African-American Associate Executive Director of Veterans Benefits Sherman Gillums Jr. attended McKinley, graduating in 1990.
- Fairbanks, P., & Sommer, M. (2008, February 17). Bully or best buddy? Barton's two sides. The Buffalo News.
- William F. Riley, Buffalo Schools assistant principal. (2008, November). The Buffalo News
- Buffalo Public Schools (2007, August 7). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2005, September 7).
- Buffalo Public Schools (2004, January 14).Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.
- Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.
- Herod-Zak, R. (2006). 03-22-06 Administrative Board Changes (Supplemental). Board of Education Meeting January 11, 2005 (p. 1). Buffalo: Buffalo Public Schools.
- Herod-Zak, R. (2010). 08-25-10 Administrative Board Changes Board of Education Meeting August 25, 2010 (p. 1). Buffalo: Buffalo Public Schools.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2006, August 22). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2008, August 13). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2010, August 25). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2011, September 14). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments.