McKinnon Secondary College
|McKinnon Secondary College|
|School type||Public, coeducational, comprehensive day school|
|Motto||Wisdom & Service|
|Principal||Mrs Pitsa Binnion|
Navy blue, white, red, green|
McKinnon Secondary College is a public secondary school located in the Melbourne suburb of McKinnon. The school was ranked 62nd in Victoria in terms of VCE median study score in 2012. McKinnon is known for its large music faculty.
Press reports have indicated that parents will relocate their residence to within a popular State school's "zone" to attempt entry for their children, with the potential effect of increasing the value of real estate within that zone.
- Assembly Hall
- Gymnasium with mezzanine, and weights room
- Music Centre with auditorium and five music studios
- McKinnon Resource Centre, including Library
- McKinnon Exploration Research Centre (MERC)
- Year 12 Centre with private study area (new multi-level VCE centre under construction as of May 2017)
- McKinnon Year Seven Transition Centre (MYST) (opened 2010)
- Lecture Theatre with 250 seats, named the Alan Lawrence Lecture Theatre after a long-serving ex-principal
- Art/science/technology wing
- Korean Garden
- Two Large Ovals (With Soccer Pitches and AFL Goals)
The school previously held numerous PC and Mac computer labs, although this number has been reduced following the introduction of the school's Chromebook program, under which all students in the school are equipped with individual Chromebooks.
McKinnon Secondary College is consistently in the top non-selective government schools in Victoria for the last decade, and in 2003 was the state system's second top non-selective-entry VCE school. In 2011 it was ranked 62nd in the state out of all schools, and ranked 6th out of public schools
McKinnon Secondary has many instrumental groups that cater for people of different ability, instrument and music style preference.
The colleges music ensembles include:
The music faculty at McKinnon holds many performances such as the Spring and junior concerts. An event considered important in the school calendar is the Winter Concert, held annually at Robert Blackwood Hall, in Monash University. The college also produces a musical every second year. The most recent musical to be performed by the college was 'The Addams Family'. Five shows were performed from 21 to 24 June 2017. Previous musicals in recent years include 'Little Shop of Horrors' in 2015, 'Zombie Prom' in 2013, 'The Wiz' in 2011, and 'Hot Mikado' in 2009.
It is compulsory for students in years 7 and 8 to learn a language. The college also hosts the Victorian School of Languages, which allows students to learn a language out of school in their own time as a subject for VCE. The VSL offers both Hebrew and Russian. This enables McKinnon students to learn another language, or their native language, as part of their VCE. Year 10 students have the opportunity to go on exchange trips to either (Germany) or France and have an exchange student live with them for a period of time.
The college offers an enhanced maths and science program for selected students called ELMS.
McKinnon Secondary holds sports carnivals throughout the year where students can compete for their houses (Chisholm, Monash, Gilmore and Flynn). The three carnivals are swimming, athletics and cross-country. Students who win, or do well, in these competitions go on to represent McKinnon at inter-school sporting events.
Extra curricular activities
McKinnon Secondary offers activities including:
- Tournament of Minds
- Inter-school debating
- Philosophy Club and annual state Philosothon
- Sceptical Society
- Code Club
- Knitting club
Students are required to wear a uniform. The uniform policy is enforced by teachers. The colours of the uniform are blue, grey and white.
- Musician Harry James Angus of The Cat Empire
- Actor James Frecheville
- Singer Danielle Matthews
- Soprano Elena Xanthoudakis
- Screenwriter Sarah Dollard
- AFL Footballer Max Gawn
- AFL Footballer Jack Frost
- Comedian and Radio Presenter Lewis Spears
- Songwriter Sarah Aarons
- Senator James Paterson
- "Chalk and fees – National – www.theage.com.au". The Age. 1 August 2004. Retrieved 21 May 2008.
- "2008 VCE Public School Ranking". bettereducation.com.au. Retrieved 16 December 2009.
- "Broadway dreaming – Education News". The Age. 18 June 2007. Retrieved 21 May 2008.
- "Demand for top school zones helps beat winter blues". The Age. 20 June 2005. Retrieved 21 May 2008.
- "Average income, private school". The Age. 24 July 2006. Retrieved 21 May 2008.
- "McKinnon Secondary College: School Tour". McKinnon Secondary College. McKinnon Secondary College. 30 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Student Chromebook Program". McKinnon Secondary College. McKinnon Secondary College. 26 May 2016. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- "Have kids, must move out". The Age. 26 February 2006. Retrieved 21 May 2008.
- "McKinnon Secondary College: WINTER CONCERT". McKinnon Secondary College. McKinnon Secondary College. 22 August 2014. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "The Addams Family". Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "McKinnon Secondary College: Little Shop Of Horrors Musical". McKinnon Secondary College. McKinnon Secondary College. 26 June 2015. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "McKinnon Secondary College: Key Learning Areas". mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "In a class of their own". The Age. 8 May 2005. Retrieved 21 May 2008.
- "McKinnon Secondary College: Principal's Welcome". 30 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "McKinnon Secondary College: General Assembly 3/8/2015". 11 August 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "McKinnon Secondary: Victorian Philosothon and Australasian Philosothon". 13 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "McKinnon Secondary Sceptical Society". 30 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "McKinnonNEWS – Issue 2 – ICT at McKinnon". 27 February 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "McKinnonNEWS – Issue 18". McKinnon Secondary College. Retrieved 28 November 2015.