McLeod, North Dakota
|Census-designated place & Unincorporated community|
Sveums Store and US Post Office - McLeod
|• Total||0.774 sq mi (2.00 km2)|
|• Land||0.774 sq mi (2.00 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,076 ft (328 m)|
|• Density||35/sq mi (13/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||2584351|
McLeod (also Sandoun) is a census designated place in eastern Ransom County, North Dakota, United States. An unincorporated community, it was designated as part of the U.S. Census Bureau's Participant Statistical Areas Program on March 31, 2010. It was not counted separately during the 2000 Census, but was included in the 2010 Census, where its population was reported to be 27.
The community lies along North Dakota Highway 27 east of the city of Lisbon, the county seat of Ransom County. Originally named Sandoun for the many sand dunes in the area, it was renamed McLeod for local realtor J. J. McLeod. Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 58057.
This climatic region is typified by large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, McLeod has a humid continental climate, abbreviated "Dfb" on climate maps.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "McLeod Census Designated Place". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- U.S. Census Bureau (2003). "Population and Housing Unit Counts, North Dakota" (PDF). 2000 Census of Population and Housing. Government Printing Office. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- U.S. Census Bureau (February 13, 2008). "Census Designated Place (CDP) Program for the 2010 Census—Final Criteria" (PDF). Federal Register. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Wick, Douglas A. (1988). North Dakota Place Names. Bismarck, North Dakota: Hedemarken Collectibles. ISBN 0-9620968-0-6. OCLC 191277027.
- Zip Code Lookup
- Climate Summary for McLeod, North Dakota
|This North Dakota location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|