Solidago canadensis (known as Canada goldenrod or Canadian goldenrod) is an herbaceous perennial plant of the family Asteraceae native to northeastern and north-central North America but established as an invasive plant in other parts of the continent and in other countries as well. It is often grown as an ornamental in flower gardens.
The plant is erect, often forming colonies. Flowers are small yellow heads held above the foliage on a branching inflorescence.
Ecology and distribution
Solidago canadensis is sometimes browsed by deer and is good to fair as food for domestic livestock such as cattle or horses.
It is found in a variety of habitats, although it is not shade tolerant. It typically is one of the first plants to colonize an area after disturbance (such as fire) and rarely persists once shrubs and trees become established. It is found neither in very dry locations nor in waterlogged ones.
In eastern and southeastern China, particularly the provinces of Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Jiangxi and Shanghai, its invasion has reached pandemic levels and has caused widespread concern. It has been reported that the invasion of the Canada Golden-rod along with other invasive plants, has caused the extinction of 30 native plants in Shanghai.[dead link] In the city of Ningbo, Zhejiang, it has reduced local orange harvests. It is still spreading across China, and sightings have been reported in as far as Yunnan province. Various national and provincial authorities have been on high alert.
- The Plant List, Solidago canadensis
- "Solidago canadensis". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- Biota of North America Program, 2014 county distribution map
- Flora of North America, Solidago canadensis, Solidago canadensis Linnaeus, 1753. Canada goldenrod , verge d’or du Canada
- Altervista Flora Italiana, Verga d'oro del Canadà, Solidago canadensis L. photos, European distribution map
- Flora of China, Solidago canadensis Linnaeus, 1753. 加拿大一枝黄花 jia na da yi zhi huang hua
- Atlas of Living Australia
- "Fire Effects Information System: species reviews of fire and other ecology". 1993. Retrieved 2009-08-24.
- Jiangsu's battle with Canada Goldenrod (Chinese)
- Jiaodianfangtan (Chinese)
- Blanchan, Neltje (2005). Wild Flowers Worth Knowing. Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Solidago canadensis.|
- Jepson Manual Treatment: Solidago canadensis
- United States Geological Survey: Solidago canadensis
- Profile: Canada Goldenrod (Solidago canadensis) Photos, Drawings, Text. (Wild Plants of Winnipeg from Nature Manitoba)
- China Archives, Exotic Plant Spreads Across a Third of Mainland
|Wikiversity has bloom time data for Solidago canadensis on the Bloom Clock|