Mecca Leisure Group
|Founded||1933 (as Mecca Agency Limited)|
|Headquarters||London, England, UK|
|Michael Guthrie, Chairman|
Mecca Leisure Group (also known as Mecca Leisure Ltd, Mecca Ltd, and Mecca Dance Ltd) was a British business that ran nightclubs, hotels, theme parks, bingo parlors and Hard Rock Cafes. During the 1960s, Mecca was a centre of entertainment with numerous nightclubs throughout major United Kingdom towns and cities. Mecca ballrooms were used for the BBC TV show Come Dancing. Eric Morley was a general manager of dancing at Mecca Leisure Group and was involved in the Miss World competitions.
The Mecca Leisure Group has its origins in the Mecca Agency Limited, a company co-founded by Carl L. Heimann and Byron Davies in 1933 to operate the recently created dance hall chain Mecca Dancing.
In 1989, the company acquired Pleasurama plc.
|Mecca Locarno Ballroom||Leeds||1938||1969|
|Southampton Royal Pier||Southampton||1963||1979|
|Mecca Dance Hall Tottenham||London||1910||2004|
- "The Rank Group plc - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on The Rank Group plc". www.referenceforbusiness.com. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "Come Dancing - UKGameshows". www.ukgameshows.com. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "A Study in Branding Popular Entertainment". meccadancing.com. Archived from the original on 28 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- "Jimmy Savile". DJHistory.com. Archived from the original on 22 September 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "Leodis - a photographic archive of Leeds - Display". www.leodis.net. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "The Specials - Music / Lyrics". Retrieved 2015-08-15.
- Nott, James (2015). Going to the Palais: A Social and Cultural History of Dancing and Dance Halls in Britain, 1918-1960. Oxford, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199605194. pp. 26-27.
- Ball, Aimee Lee (July 1991). "Mr Universe". New York Magazine. 24 (27): 38.
- "Rank Group Plc - About us - History". www.rank.com. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "Basildon - A Chronological History 1960 - 1969". www.basildon.com. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "The Coventry kid who made good". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "When the local palais was the place to be dancing". www.echo-news.co.uk. Archived from the original on 14 August 2010. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- Evening Times (March 30, 2015). "Memories: it was strictly for dancing at the Locarno Ballroom in 1962". Evening Times. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- "English Seaside Piers - Royal Pier, Southampton". www.theheritagetrail.co.uk. Archived from the original on 27 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- "BBC - In pictures: Stockport Plaza". www.bbc.co.uk. 2009-12-11. Retrieved 2011-01-16.