This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)
Tsunami Visual Technologies
Wandering Samurai Studios
Infinite Game Publishing
|Platform(s)||MS-DOS, Sharp X68000, PC-98, Super NES, Sega Genesis, Windows, Mac OS, PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Arcade, iOS|
|Latest release||MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries|
December 10, 2019
Within the MechWarrior games, players take control of a single BattleMech and combat other BattleMechs, tanks, infantry, and more, from within the cockpit of their machine. A third-person alternate view is available in MechWarrior 2, 3, 4, Online, and 5. Both MechWarrior 2 and MechWarrior 3 were Origins Award winners, taking Best Fantasy or Science Fiction Computer Game 1995 and Best Action Computer Game 1999 respectively.
- MechWarrior takes place at the end of the Third Succession War.
- MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat, MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy, Mercenaries, and MechWarrior Online deal with the events soon before, during, and soon after the Clan Invasion of the Inner Sphere.
- MechWarrior 3 and MechCommander are concerned with different parts of "Operation Serpent" and "Operation Bulldog", the combined Inner Sphere counterattack against the Clans, targeted at the Smoke Jaguars.
- MechWarrior 4: Vengeance, its expansions, and MechCommander 2 deal with the Federated Commonwealth Civil War.
- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries takes place during the Third Succession War.
Electric Entertainment, a Hollywood production company founded by Dean Devlin, currently holds the option to produce a feature film based on the MechWarrior universe. In 2003, Devlin approached Paramount to pitch the project but failed to receive funding. The project is currently in development limbo.
- MechWarrior (role-playing game), a 1986 tabletop game